Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2003 G55

Old 10-31-2002, 06:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55 AMG
My 2003 G55

Just got the word from the dealer today...my car has just been completed and is ready for its December delivery. Got my VIN number and everything. The price isn't as high as expected either. Silver/Black with Harman Kardon option for sound for MSRP $91,345. Roughly 20K more than the regular G500.

Will December ever come around?!?!?!?!
Old 11-02-2002, 10:01 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Thumbs up Congrats!

My dealer here has one coming in sometime in the next week or two which hasn't been sold. They have several people who were waiting for pricing before making a purchase.

I'll probably upgrade to a G55 once Mercedes releases a new version which includes the new COMAND system from the 2004 E55 AMG. The new COMAND system is DVD based, has a wider screen with a better navigation interface, support for MP3's, and finally support for Bluetooth phones (so you can use any Bluetooth capable phone with the hands-free kit rather than the crappy/expensive phones that MB-USA sells).

Please post pictures here when you get it!
Old 11-02-2002, 08:26 PM

G500
jimmy,

do you have the mb-usa phone? i was just thinking about getting it. is it really that bad?

any insight would be appreciated.

thanks,

mike
Old 11-02-2002, 08:34 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Well, the issue is that I'm not a big fan of Motorola phones. Despite several attempts at owning Motorola phones, I can say with confidence that they are not as good as those built by Nokia or SonyEricsson. I presonally use a SonyEricsson T68i with service from AT&T. The phone syncs with both my Mac and my PC, it has Bluetooth, GPRS (high speed data for use with my laptop/pocketpc), calendar, and a good UI.

Besides, you are limited to TDMA providers with the MBUSA phone. I prefer GSM because I can change providers easily (just replace the sim card when I switch providers). Outside the US, Mercedes only uses Nokia. In fact, Nokia has been contracted to build a the third generation COMAND system. The second generation COMAND system is being built by harmon/kardon and is the one I mentioned above. The current COMAND is built by Blaupunkt (I think).

If you use your phone in your car a lot, you might want to invest in the kit from MBUSA. Personally, I have plenty of other things I'd rather spend $2k on right now.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
Got the first build date from my dealer!!

My 55 will be built the third week of Nov - anticipating delivery around Xmas! Yeehaw! Wonder if it will fit under the tree?
Old 11-03-2002, 01:50 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
What color, options?

What color, options?
Old 11-08-2002, 04:45 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Talking Drove a 2003 G55 AMG today

I got to drive a 2003 G55 AMG this morning. The vehicle was black with designo leather interior with the harmon/kardon sound system. The MSRP as configured was $91k.

Compared to past AMG G-Class vehicles which I've seen in Europe, this one has more visual differences than the G500. The flared wheel arches, new AMG wheels, large chrome exhaust outlets, chrome guards on the turn indicators, and silver painted grill are all quite eye-catching.

When you get in, the designo leather is much more supple and elegant than the standard leather on the G500. It has a nice stitched piping, as do the designo floor mats. The gear shifter has a G55 logo on it, and the instrument cluster has a silver AMG central panel.

I really don't care about all the stuff too much...I would probably order one with out all the chrome or the fancy (expensive) leather (it's a standard feature though, not an option). My salesman and I drove to the dealership's remote lot where the G55 was being kept in my G500. The differences between the two vehicles became obvious to both of us very quickly when I fired up the engine.

Oh the sound. I'm not sure how to describe it. I've driven other AMG vehicles, but this was something else. The deep rumble shook the whole vehicle. The idle sound was the kind of thing that makes many American (and foreign!) men weak in the knees. It wasn't harsh, it was subdued, but very powerful. All I could think about was which checkbook I should write the check out of, but then I came to my senses...but only barely.

I just drove it around the lot because it was low on gas and it wasn't a demo vehicle. You can feel the power of the 5 liter V8 in my G500, but the extra 50hp in the G55 just come out and grab you! You can feel the difference just driving around a parking lot. It reminds me of my old BMW M3...it just begs you to push the gas. It wants more.

The ride is MUCH firmer than the G500. No body roll whatsoever, and you literally feel the road. I've been told that the AMG shocks used on the G55 are rated for off-road use...but I'd think twice before going for a long drive on a rough road. The G55 can take it, but I don't know about my butt!

I didn't even turn on the harmon/kardon sound system. How could I when the music from the AMG engine and exhaust was trying to coax my checkbook out of my pocket.

If you get the chance, go check out a G55 AMG. Smythe European in San Jose CA has this G55 for sale at MSRP with about 38 miles on it including my spin around the parking lot. I don't think they plan to let anyone else drive it. Their policy is to keep new G-Class vehicles under 40 miles. All G-Class vehicles are given a test drive at the factory in Graz before being delivered.

I kept my checkbook in my pocket. I'm still quite happy with my G500 and I'll wait a year or two before going for the G55. If I didn't have the G500...I'd be cruising around town in my new G55 right now! Balancing the checkbook is for accountants! I should probably find an account soon.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:21 PM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
I just saw the 55 at the Auto Show!!

Tuly amazing. The flared arches, the accents, wheels, and ohhhh the exhaust! Eight weeks can't come soon enough. And, JimmyG, your last post hasn't made it any easier To answer your question, I had originally ordered Tectite with all options but HK. Since my dealer had the first slot allocated to himself I had to wait for the second slot. But, since they received a 55 for the Auto Show, my dealer is taking that car and I'm back to the first build slot which was Brilliant Silver (don't know about options). Not ecstatic about the color but my dealer still doesn't have their 2nd build slot and I'm tired of waiting!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
AMGridin, Welcome, and congratulation on your comming G55, although I don't like the G class, i'm courious to hear how the G55 performs, let us know and once again, welcome!
Old 12-06-2002, 12:54 PM

2019 G63
I've owned 5 G's starting with an 86 280GE, 95 G320, 99 G500, 02 G500 and 03 G55 that I took delivery on, 3 weeks ago.

The G55 is a *huge* disappointment! Yes, it looks great and sounds greater but the ride has been compromised to the point of sheer displeasure!!!

The combination of much stiffer shocks and larger tires have taken its toll, big time. Where I've often commented that the ride in my former G's has been firm but very enjoyable, in fact better than virtually any other SUV, it is quite the opposite for the G55.

Even driving from one end of the Atlantic City Expressway to the other, last Sunday, was more than my wife, daughter and I could take! There is nothing smooth about it.

In addition, they changed the very nice 02 wood and leather steering wheel with attractive, positive acting switches to the new 03 E-Class steering wheel. The wheel is fine and it's heated, but the switches look cheap, feel cheap and are positioned differently making them more difficult to use.

Fortunately my 02 G500 was still at the dealer and since I've purchased many other MB they took the 55 back and undid the deal. I got my 500 back yesterday and returned to enjoying a wonderful ride.

So, if you want a rougher, faster SUV, go for the 55 but if you ever expect your wife or girlfriend to enjoy the ride, save your money and stick with the G500!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:37 PM

dharrar, mind saying what dealer?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:40 AM

2019 G63
G55

The G55 is available for sale at R&S Imports in Ft. Washington. The color is Tectite and options include Parktronic, HK Stereo and the Multi-contour seat. When I returned it last week, it only had about 350 miles. Contact Lou Tietleman at 215-646-7700 if you are interested. It won't last long!