Project: Über - G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G55 - R500
Project: Über - G

Project - Über-alles-G

I have been loving every single mile of the 35k miles I have put on my G55 in the last couple of years, but I have been wanting more and more to improve my truck in a couple of aspects. I take the truck off-roading pretty much every other weekend in CA, NV and UT, but also enjoy a bit teasing some of the sports car at a stop light when driving to work and school drop-off.

I finally decided to start some modding on the G to make it an even more fun ride for my purpose.

My plan is to safely raise the HP/TQ of the 55k engine and as well get some bigger tires / clearance for my truck for many more desert adventures.

Next week I will install the first set of engine mods, I am planning on a tune, 180mm pulley and 82mm TB. Going to have to experiment a bit with extra cooling as the engine compartment on the G55 is very crammed.

Obivously I should be focusing on the cooling first - but I am itiching too much right now to feel a bit more power.

Did my baseline dyno tonight - seeing about 330hp/360tq measured on all wheels running super heavy BFG 285/65/18 KO AT.

Actually expected to see a bit less, but not sure if only running in 3rd gear on the Mustang MD500 dyno had any impact for the results.

For the suspension I am hoping to manage to get tires in the 35" range mounted, hoping a bit more clearance when off roading. On - road handling is a secondary concern of mine, but I am hoping to comprise this department as little as possible.

The AMG exhaust tips will need to be relocated, ESP adjusted for bigger diameter tires, etc. etc. It will be a pretty extensive list of things I want to change, hopefully without having to rob a bank....

Over the next weeks I will update the progress on my project - hopefully I can get some feedback and ideas for some of the mods I am planning from fellow G enthusiasts.

Last edited by 07g55; 09-16-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 AM

05 w463 G55, 08 W251 R500, 03 996 turbo
very funny. I just got the koni shocks, sach springs, pully mod, ecu flash, ngk 1 step colder plugs and a few other things! My car should all be done end of this week or possibly next.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM

G55 - R500
Originally Posted by sc_trojan
very funny. I just got the koni shocks, sach springs, pully mod, ecu flash, ngk 1 step colder plugs and a few other things! My car should all be done end of this week or possibly next.
WOW - what else do we have in common??? You have to join one of these weekends in Death Valley with your beast!!

What size pulley did you get?