Mango Matte Black vs. Wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Mango Matte Black vs. Wrap

Hey everyone, i'm looking into ordering a G by the end of the year and needed some help. I know i want a Satin black/Matte black on it, but i'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. I know i can wrap the car for $3500ish or i can order the Designo paint from MB for $3995 option i believe. My problem is figuring out which one is the best option.

Factory Paint: I hear mixed reviews on the factory paint, while many say it is a great paint i hear from shops (Platinum, RDB) say that it's a pain to wash. I wouldn't be washing my car and i'm not sure where i can take it in the OC area to have it properly washed, i'm scared if i get the factory matte that the paint will get ruined and i'll spend too much time worrying about the up-keep of the paint.

Wrap: While many use wraps, i hear that even if it done properly it can bubble or even damage the paint? If i warp it, how often do i have to take the wrap off and re-wrap it? I don't want the paint under getting harmed, but i think wrapping it would be the best option as i don't have to worry about the up-keep and i can always sell the car with fresh paint under the wrap.

Can anyone who's dealt with both wrap and factory paint give me some pointers here? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM

wheels
I have only dealt with factory glossy paint. I would go with the wrap [over glossy paint] because you can take it off and have a shiny car that will be easier to sell when that time comes. You also get the added benefit of some paint protection from light scratches/the elements/etc. If someone is good at wrapping cars, it will look just like paint. Period. I've seen it in person many times.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
I've had a G55 wrapped in matte black and owned a G55 and now a G63 with factory designo magno matte paint...the matte paint is far superior and more durable than the wrap. After 6-12 months the wrap starts to show signs of wear and if you get a single scratch it can start to peel. When you replace a damaged section of the wrap, the newer one has a darker color.

I have several friends in Dubai who have matte black G63s and none of them have any complaints about the durability of the paint finish. All you have to do is avoid polishing, buffing, or waxing...not sure how hard that is. Use automotive shampoo and water, even an automatic car wash won't damage the paint.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 PM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
Wrap doesn't last long, factory paint is the way to go in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by jimmyg
I've had a G55 wrapped in matte black and owned a G55 and now a G63 with factory designo magno matte paint...the matte paint is far superior and more durable than the wrap. After 6-12 months the wrap starts to show signs of wear and if you get a single scratch it can start to peel. When you replace a damaged section of the wrap, the newer one has a darker color.

I have several friends in Dubai who have matte black G63s and none of them have any complaints about the durability of the paint finish. All you have to do is avoid polishing, buffing, or waxing...not sure how hard that is. Use automotive shampoo and water, even an automatic car wash won't damage the paint.
I talked to a couple shops and they advised me on wrapping it because you can abuse the car much more and not have to worry about the paint. They said the factory paint or any matte paint needs a lot of up-keep. How do you wash your g and how often do you do it? Do you personally take it to an automatic car wash?

Ps if it makes a difference i wouldn't wrap it in matte, i would wrap it in satin black as i think it looks way better than matte
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1309926946

Last edited by user 76208202; 07-21-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:36 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
You asked our opinions and we gave them to you, now you have to do whatever is best for you. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have a designo matte paint on my CLS and it is the easiest paint to take care of. Just wash the car with regular car soap and you are done.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by emericr
I have a designo matte paint on my CLS and it is the easiest paint to take care of. Just wash the car with regular car soap and you are done.
Just my 2 cents.
do you wash it yourself or take it to the automatic car wash?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
do you wash it yourself or take it to the automatic car wash?
NO automatic car wash. Are you nuts. Those things are horrible. Matte paint or not, this is the worse thing you can do to your paint finish.

Personally, I wash it myself because I enjoy it but if you don't, just pay a few bucks to a kid in the neighborhood to just wast the car.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 AM

2008 Mercedes ML63 AMG
factory paint. expensive to repair if needed though.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Not sure why you keep asking about automatic car washes. You don't mention where you live, but when I lived in the US (more than 10 years ago) there were plenty of touch less car washes. That's the easiest way to get your car cleaned with minimum wear on your magno paint.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
Not sure why you keep asking about automatic car washes. You don't mention where you live, but when I lived in the US (more than 10 years ago) there were plenty of touch less car washes. That's the easiest way to get your car cleaned with minimum wear on your magno paint.

I'd assume an automatic car wash, touchless or otherwise, is going to be even more damaging to a wrap.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550

I keep asking because you said an automatic wash won't hurt the paint, so i figured you took yours to an auto wash. I'm in Cali.

Anyhow - called the dealer, more than likely i will have to just get what i can because the production is so limited the dealers don't think i can get EXACTLY what i want unless i place an order and wait 6-9 months.