Sponsored by:

Need Help Diagnosing suspension issue *pictures*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 E55, '82 Porsche 911SC, '83 DeLorean
(PROBLEM SOLVED) Need Help Diagnosing suspension issue *pictures*

So I just noticed an intermittent squeek/rubbing sound coming from the front left wheel, and shot these 2 pictures of the inner hub. The wheel that has the noise shows a lot of grease coming from where the axle connects to the back side of the hub. Any thoughts? It's a 2011 G55 with 50k miles.

Clean side
Dirty side with noise..

Last edited by SoCal_AMG350; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 PM

UPDATE:

Update: issue solved. Ended up being that the tire shop hadn't torqued down the lug nuts and it was vibrations against the spacers I had just installed. Lesson learned on never trust professionals to do their job. Could've been worse, but glad its not something bigger. On a brighter note, the spacers give the G a bad a@$ look!
Attached Thumbnails Need Help Diagnosing suspension issue *pictures*-untitled.png  
Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1994 Toyota LandCruiser, 2003 Lexus LX 470, 2017 G63, 2019 Toyota LandCruiser
There is something going on with your front end and you are about due for a front axle rebuild. The inner axle seals are starting to leak, allowing gear oil to mix with the heavy moly based axle grease in the steering knuckle. When this happens, you get the oozing seen in your photos. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, this is not a bad project, just very messy. I have not done this on a G but have done several on solid axle Landcruisers which have a very similar front end set up. Shop will charge you $2000, can be done for $500 in parts if you do the labor.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BadReligion
There is something going on with your front end and you are about due for a front axle rebuild. The inner axle seals are starting to leak, allowing gear oil to mix with the heavy moly based axle grease in the steering knuckle. When this happens, you get the oozing seen in your photos. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, this is not a bad project, just very messy. I have not done this on a G but have done several on solid axle Landcruisers which have a very similar front end set up. Shop will charge you $2000, can be done for $500 in parts if you do the labor.
Thanks for the heads up, I sensed something was going on there because I've been hearing more noises coming from that side. I'll do some research and see what would be involved to do.something like that. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1994 Toyota LandCruiser, 2003 Lexus LX 470, 2017 G63, 2019 Toyota LandCruiser
Originally Posted by SoCal_AMG350
Thanks for the heads up, I sensed something was going on there because I've been hearing more noises coming from that side. I'll do some research and see what would be involved to do.something like that. Thanks.
No problem. Its not something that has to be done ASAP but that leak will continue to get worse and eventually start to drip. The noise you are hearing is most likely your wheel bearing starting to go. Go over to IH8MUD.COM (landcruiser forum) and go to the "80 series" section. Search "front axle rebuild" or it should be listed in the FAQ up top. There is a very detailed thread with photos to give you a sense of what is involved. Again, the Merc will be slightly different but 95% of the process should be the same.

Last edited by BadReligion; 07-03-2017 at 09:02 PM.