General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Starting up a 1970 SEL parked for 10 years.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none at the moment
Starting up a 1970 SEL parked for 10 years.

I have a 1970 280SEL that's been parked for about 10 years and I would like to try to get it running again. Would anybody have some tips on what preparations I should do before attempting to fire it up? My teenage son wants to restore it as a father and son, "project". Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Inline 6 cyl.
Fuel injection
Old 11-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
Make sure there is no old gas left in the tank or any other gas lines. Rotate the engine slowly (clockwise) to make sure it's not seized. Change the oil. Crank it with the spark plugs removed to get the oil pump primed and check if the oil pressure builds up. While you have the spark plugs out check if you have good spark on all 6 (8).
The following users liked this post:
HBguy (03-02-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bc23
I have a 1970 280SEL that's been parked for about 10 years and I would like to try to get it running again. Would anybody have some tips on what preparations I should do before attempting to fire it up? My teenage son wants to restore it as a father and son, "project". Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Inline 6 cyl.
Fuel injection
Last year or so I went through a very similar situation with my 1969 280 SE W111 coupe with the inline 6. The car sat for 30 years or so and needed much love. First thing I did was Marvel Mystery oil all the cylinders and change all the oils and filters. Then I had to rebuild the fuel pump in the rear and also pull the tank and have it professionally cleaned. Then the most important part to make sure she runs again is to pull the fuel injection pump out and take it all apart and clean it up. This injection pump is all mechanical and easily gets gummed up.
I spent lots of time and energy on getting it back up and running and glad I did after all. Now the car sits at a restoration shop and is very very close to going back into 387 metallic blue paint.
I have also ordered new leather and new wood for the dash area as well as new carpets. Can't wait to see this car on the road again after nearly 30 years!
Not at all sure what the value of this car is but it has been fun seeing it come back from the dead. It has the automatic, ac, floor shift, sunroof and about 100k original miles.
Good luck!
Johan

Last edited by DRTYLNDY; 01-07-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 C250
start making a list of work that it needs. It's not just for budget reasons but so you can prioritize. Timing chains can be a concern if its sat a while also. I would take a look at that before trying to crank it, to prevent damage to the valves. Check all rubbers for cracks.

They're a great, solid car. Now that I have more time and money, I would love to bring another back to life, and this time, make it more than an awesome daily driver.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
drain fuel tank and blow out lines.
Check all brake lines and fuel lines.
Change plug and wires.
Check for rodent damage where they chew wires and make nests.
Change brake fluid and pads
Check all rubber hoses.
Drain oil and replace filter
add new oil and turn engine over by hand first.
Tranny and differentials should be serviced as well

This should get it up and running but you still may need to repair some things like thermostat
Engine coolant may need a flush.

good luck