Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Very disappointed in Mercedes these days..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag XKR
Have any of you guys ever set foot in an S65 AMG? If you want to see the old Mercedes engineering, cars that feel like a tank that accelerate from 0-60 in 4.2, ones that make you feel like you can drive it 150mph and not be worried of a crash, and one that the seat inflates to keep you from moving during cornering, test drive an S65 -- Thats basically for me, the only step up from an E500.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by hdtv22
Have any of you guys ever set foot in an S65 AMG? If you want to see the old Mercedes engineering, cars that feel like a tank that accelerate from 0-60 in 4.2, ones that make you feel like you can drive it 150mph and not be worried of a crash, and one that the seat inflates to keep you from moving during cornering, test drive an S65 -- Thats basically for me, the only step up from an E500.
the 2008 CL63 with $150k MSRP that i saw this week was pretty nice. i guess for that price, it should be nice and look like hand-made. however, the question is what price point can MB continue to keep up w/ that type of quality interior? some would argue that quality interior doesn't really save much money and it's worth giving it to the customers to differentiate(aka AUDI and their reputatation). others like MB/BMW/Porsche have decided that it's okay to get away with cheap parts(and save a few $'s). the problem is that short-term, all these guys are suffering so the bean counters can argue that high cost interior doesn't bring in extra revenues. in addition, all these guys strive for market share instead of working on building the best product possible. it's too bad people can't look long-term at what this does to the brand and its reputation. can anyone say GM-Ford-Chrysler?
Patrick
Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
The new W204 interior is terrible. I remember when they first came out I thought they looked pretty cool and wanted to putz around in one one the loaners whenever I took my cars in for service. However I always managed to get the old W203s. Then a few weeks ago I managed to get put into a W204. I was pretty stoked. Until I got in it and was really disappointed. After spending a day in it I would rather of had a W203. At least it's interior had some kind of class or whatever you want to call it. I felt the interior styling on my friends '02 Altima looked better.

The 211 E class interior is pretty good but the CLS interior is ahead of it as it uses stitched leather on the dash. However the CLS is not a very useful car, the interior dimensions in reguard to height didn't suit me well, and I had to part with it after 6 months. I was pleased that the interior of the SL is still top notch and it's hard to argue with nappa leather everything in the 65. I've never spent any time in an S or CL to judge them.
I dunno, I think it just depends on what your expectations are. The W204 is not a luxury car. It's a mid-priced sports sedan. Have any of you sat in a current generation BMW 3-Series? Is that interior a lot more impressive to you?

The SL does have a great interior for sure, but we can't compare. The S and CL have gorgeous interiors as well. The CL has the best interior in the MB range imo.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hdtv22
Never an S65, but I've driven a new S63 AMG multiple times and my opinion is about the same.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
Now you're just assuming things.

I don't see how rock solid, Rubbermaid looking plastics, and very little leather is good enough for a Mercedes-Benz. Sure they are going for a more sporty feel in almost all of their models now, but they're still Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-Benz means luxury first. You can still have a sporty car with a luxury interior. If I wanted **** interior and good handling I would get something like a Corvette or CTS-V. I'm not paying $50k+ for a Tupperware-inspired interior.
I disagree. BMWs dont have leather everywhere either. Neither do Ferraris...not luxurious does not necessarily = cheap...and the plastics in the W204 arent hard. There's not a hard surface anywhere...its all soft-touch plastic...same plastic thats in the new MLs.

PS...the Cadillac CTS interior is FAR from ****. It's prob one of, if not the best interiors in the class. I suggest you go drive one.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by C300Kid
I disagree. BMWs dont have leather everywhere either.
I'm not a huge fan of some BMW interiors. $150,000 for a plastic dashboard? No thanks.

Neither do Ferraris...not luxurious does not necessarily = cheap...
Come again? Sure it's not everywhere, but it's pretty damn close, isn't it?

and the plastics in the W204 arent hard. There's not a hard surface anywhere...its all soft-touch plastic...same plastic thats in the new MLs.
They're not that hard, you're right, but they're not that pleasant to the touch either.

PS...the Cadillac CTS interior is FAR from ****. It's prob one of, if not the best interiors in the class. I suggest you go drive one.

Sure, one of the best in its class, but the class it's in isn't that much competition now is it...?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by platinumsc
One of the worse things to happen in the auto industry was the 2003 Infiniti G35. This was a car that had a wonderful engine, good handling and a nice look at a nice price. The problem...it had the cheapest interior for a entry level luxury car in the history of cars. It was cost cutting supreme but the cars sold well. WHen I saw them selling so well I said to anyone who would listen, watch out...everyone else is going to cheapen their interiors too.
That's exactly what has happened and only a total revolt by the buying public will change things.
Oh, definitely yes. I'm sitting here complaining about the cheap feeling interior of some newer Mercedes, but the interior material quality of the earlier G35s is disappointing. I had a 1997 Maxima that had an interior that would have blown the G35's away.

Infiniti did an amazing job with the M35/45 though. I love that car.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok so the ferrari was a bad example. i guess it does have an lots of leather, but my point was that it's far from soft and luxurious. I've been in Ferraris and Lambos and they have pretty sparce interiors with hard surfaces...FAR from cheap though.

I'm not saying the W204 C-Class interior uses the best plastics, or is overly impressive...I just think the overall look and feel is better than the previous generation. I like the non-luxurious look. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
I've loved every MB I've owned. 1984 SL380, 2003 SL500, 2008 SL550, 2008 CL550, 2008 CLS63 AMG and a 2010 GLK 350. Great handling vehicles and high quality. I've also owned an Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 944, 911, 928S4. Lexus LS,LX,SC. Nissan Z's several. Acura NSX. Etc. etc. So I know quality cars and Mercedes is my choice everytime.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
2008 E320 Bluetec Woes

4-21-12 I was glad to see this discussion because I'm planning on selling my beautiful E320 Bluetec that I just bought last December 2011. I've spend so much time in the shop that I'm on a first name basis with the mechanics and office help. I even know how to operate the coffee machine and wireless network.
I've owned about six MBs all but 2 were diesel cars so I'm a seasoned owner and love the ride and the old quality. I no longer feel that way.
My troubles in five months. Two rear O2 sensors cuz one failed. Two front O2 sensors, sunroof failure caused by very flimsy parts that the springs sit on, Glow plug module and two glow plugs.
I'm probably going to bail out of this car and buy a Subaru with the proceeds. I'm very disappointed.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I've loved every MB I've owned. 1984 SL380, 2003 SL500, 2008 SL550, 2008 CL550, 2008 CLS63 AMG and a 2010 GLK 350. Great handling vehicles and high quality. I've also owned an Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 944, 911, 928S4. Lexus LS,LX,SC. Nissan Z's several. Acura NSX. Etc. etc. So I know quality cars and Mercedes is my choice everytime.
I need to qualify this, I love MB as long as they are under warranty