Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Devil's Advocate: In a Fight with the 911, the AMG GT Will Lose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM
MBW Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil's Advocate: In a Fight with the 911, the AMG GT Will Lose

Mercedes-Benz makes some awesome ****; the S-Class is continually one of the most advanced cars ever created, the SL is the definition of topless GT motoring, and everything AMG makes sounds like it’s powered by brimstone and hand grenades. There's one thing Merc can’t seem to do very well though; hang out in the supercar league.

Yes, the SLR McLaren was a solid supercar contender, but that was only thanks to the input of McLaren, and the current SLS is a mightily powerful thing, but it really can’t hold much of a candle to most of its peers from Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche. It is fast, but it’s a hammer in a world of supercar scalpels. I hate to see it go, but to me it makes sense to see Mercedes kill it off.

That long-hood and short-haunches design is not completely dead though, as Mercedes is prepping a smaller version of the car dubbed the Mercedes-AMG GT. The GT is a smaller and more agile sports car that has instantly ended up being paired against the king of Stuttgart, the Porsche 911, along with other "911 fighters" like Jaguar's F-Type and Aston Martin's V8 Vantage.

I'm left wondering why Mercedes even cares about this segment.

That long-hood and short-haunches design is not completely dead though, as Mercedes is prepping a smaller version of the car dubbed the Mercedes-AMG GT. The GT is a smaller and more agile sports car that has instantly ended up being paired against the king of Stuttgart, the Porsche 911, along with other "911 fighters" like Jaguar's F-Type and Aston Martin's V8 Vantage.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM

2000 CLK430
Agreed

I agree with you. IBM had a rough time trying to be a hardware company until it woke up & figured out it wasn't. MB is capable of heavy hitters. Just not in the same group as Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
Their on 2 different levels in the automobile industry
Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM

glk350 4matic
devils advocate

For me i agree. However i think They have needed a change for a long time atleast the other super cars have tried different looks and styles except the 911. And i think the reason for that is if it aint broke then why fix it. I have been driving a Benz for a while now and would love to see a really cool supercar from them.as for the interior i Hate the stupid looking tablet in the middle of all the cars for the Nav.it looks like it was put in, in the last min. Boo Benz.
Originally Posted by C Moe

Mercedes-Benz makes some awesome ****; the S-Class is continually one of the most advanced cars ever created, the SL is the definition of topless GT motoring, and everything AMG makes sounds like it’s powered by brimstone and hand grenades. There's one thing Merc can’t seem to do very well though; hang out in the supercar league.

Yes, the SLR McLaren was a solid supercar contender, but that was only thanks to the input of McLaren, and the current SLS is a mightily powerful thing, but it really can’t hold much of a candle to most of its peers from Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche. It is fast, but it’s a hammer in a world of supercar scalpels. I hate to see it go, but to me it makes sense to see Mercedes kill it off.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage.