Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Key Fob Works Intermittently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Key Fob Works Intermittently

I have a 2003 C32 with 140K miles. My key fobs work intermittently. I have been able to find that they work immediately after I leave the car and for about an hour after that. All functions work and the key always works in the ignition. When they don’t work I can put the keys in the ignition and remove it and it works all the functions again for a while. What I have done to date:
1. Replaced batteries in both fobs
2. Fobs’ lights blink when buttons pushed
3. I don’t see the infrared light with my phone camera on either fob even when the key fobs work the doors
4. I replaced my car battery because I would check the MB volt meter when the fobs did not work and found it consistent with a reading below 12 volts. A volt meter across the battery shows about 12.3 volts.
5. I have re synchronized the key fobs as a last resort but with no change in how they operate
I don’t understand why the system would work always after I leave the car but fails after the car sits.
Any ideas for fixes or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.