MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   General Mercedes Discussion (https://mbworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-discussion-22/)
-   -   What car should I get? (https://mbworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-discussion/746820-what-car-should-i-get.html)

gpdriver177 06-07-2019 12:08 AM

What car should I get?

I've always wanted a Mercedes AMG and I'm just now ready to get one. I'm considering a 2019 C63s, 2014-16 E63s, 2019 GLC 63, 2016-17 AMG GT, or maybe even a used C63s (since they are half price with 30k miles). I know I'm all over the place with these. But I have no need for a car, it will just be for enjoyment/road trips occasionally or track days. Annual milage should be 3-4k max. Honestly, the AMG GT is my least favorite, but I'm considering it because they hold their value so well. The 2019 C63s is my favorite so far, but the thought of losing 40-50k in 3-4 years on a toy makes me sick. I haven't driven an E63 yet but they seem like a monster! They're already half price from new and have crazy 0-60 times. Which is the reason I'm considering the GLC, it's kinda like a C63 that can put the power down. Am I missing anything in terms of pros/cons? Does anyone have any predictions on the resale value of a low milage C63s/GLC over 7-10 years? Are there any limited edition models coming out (like Black Series or 507 edition) that may hold their value better?

Mr. Toad 06-07-2019 12:46 PM

I was recently provided with a C 63 S cabriolet as a loaner when my car went in for service, and it got old really, really fast. Never in my life have I ridden in a noiser, rougher, or more all-around unpleasant vehicle. It sounded like a Harley Davidson, road like a covered wagon, and drank premium gas like water. I was astounded that this was a near $100,000 car and I couldn't wait to return it. Just my two cents.

gpdriver177 06-07-2019 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Toad (Post 7773480)
I was recently provided with a C 63 S cabriolet as a loaner when my car went in for service, and it got old really, really fast. Never in my life have I ridden in a noiser, rougher, or more all-around unpleasant vehicle. It sounded like a Harley Davidson, road like a covered wagon, and drank premium gas like water. I was astounded that this was a near $100,000 car and I couldn't wait to return it. Just my two cents.

That actually makes sense. The one thing I don't like about the E63 is that it's even louder. I live next to a busy road so loud cars just annoy the hell out of me now. Also, I'll probably get some hate for this, but I think it's flat out embarrassing to have a car be so loud, when my neighbors dorky looking Tesla Model 3 performance could beat it to 60. I haven't driven a new C63 in a while, driving the C/GLC63 on Saturday. I was considering an Audi R8 V10 Plus for a while. Maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Mr. Toad 06-07-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by gpdriver177 (Post 7773492)
I live next to a busy road so loud cars just annoy the hell out of me now. Also, I'll probably get some hate for this, but I think it's flat out embarrassing to have a car be so loud

I bought a "luxury" car to enjoy a quiet, comfortable commute. Even the exhaust on my fully-stock e400 is too loud for my taste. I was always embarrassed when I started that C 63 S in my garage every day at 6:30 a.m., because it sounded like a cannon going off and it surely awakened my neighbors. I felt like one of those ricer teenagers who put huge, noisy exhaust systems on lowered Honda Civics. Everything about that car says "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!".

gpdriver177 06-07-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Toad (Post 7773553)
I bought a "luxury" car to enjoy a quiet, comfortable commute. Even the exhaust on my fully-stock e400 is too loud for my taste. I was always embarrassed when I started that C 63 S in my garage every day at 6:30 a.m., because it sounded like a cannon going off and it surely awakened my neighbors. I felt like one of those ricer teenagers who put huge, noisy exhaust systems on lowered Honda Civics. Everything about that car says "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!".

Hahaha. That's good to know! I went and look yesterday but didn't drive it because I wanted my fiancees input. However, I did start it up for that exact reason! It was surprisingly quiet, but it had been sitting in the 90 degree heat all day. The salesman said if it was cold it would have been louder (as if that's a good thing).

chassis 06-09-2019 07:56 PM

Unless you want the GLC for its SUV qualities, I would skip it. Read the GLC forum thoroughly and there seem to be some platform-related issues that affect most or all models. eg tire scrubbing.

The C63 seems well liked and reliable.

The E63 and E class in general seems to suffer from irregular fit and finish or build quality. This is from reading the E forums including AMG.

The GT is a great looking car and I would go for one of it was in my budget and made the priority list.

Second, I would choose the E63 for the size, style and power, if reliability were not a concern.

Because reliability is a concern to me, I would most likely go for the C63 for the balance of power, size, reliability and budget.