Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.
View Poll Results: Why do tuners/modders steer away from MB?
Too many model options to provide support for
0%
Too expensive for most to mod/maintain properly
60.00%
Loss of amenities devalues the experience
20.00%
Fit & finish is hard to improve
20.00%
Lack of inherent interest by the modding community & target demographic
40.00%
Other
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

What keeps our modding/tuning community so small?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 E63
Question What keeps our modding/tuning community so small?

I notice that I see fewer instances of shops creating aftermarket bolt-ons and kits, and higher price tags compared to Audi, BMW, etc., for things like turbo kits, forged pistons, and so on based on cursory looking. I see fewer and less active forums & communities. I've seen fewer participation at meets. In general I see fewer modded Benz vehicles compared to other luxury and luxury sport cars. Is it because of the large model spread? Does the fit and finish play into it? Does it just tend to attract a demographic that isn't as into modifying vehicles so parts are harder to come by and mods have to be more expensive to make up for a lack of demand? Are mods that maintain the finish & comfort simply so hard to come by that people steer clear of them on the whole? I do have to admit that I don't feel like there's anything lacking in the models I was looking at before I got mine, where as my Audi had me ready to do major changes and upgrades from the start and I'm already in that mindset when it comes to everything else I'm potentially looking at as a second car to tune.

Anyway, wanted to get other's feedback on this and see what your experience has been.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
I think you need a choice labeled "All of the above".
Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Wink A spectre is haunting Mercedes owners

I wrote this post last year from Germany.
Originally Posted by gfmohn
A spectre is haunting Mercedes non-AMG C-class owners - the spectre of "family sedan." In the US, German cars are exotic imports, loved by owners who love driving. I am writing this from Germany, where a majority of the MBs, BMWs, and Audis are estates (station wagons). On the autobahns, these "sport sedans" are pulling trailers just as often as lesser cars. Very few are driving over 120kps (75mph), even where speed is unlimited. I have been driving in Germany several weeks a year for 19 years. In previous years, I pretty much drove as at home in the US (in the Northeast).

This year [July-Aug. 2018], I have driven from Leipzig in the East to not far from the Danish border in the North. Everywhere, I have found that German drivers are driving much slower. Within all town and city borders, the speed limit is 50kps (31mph). This includes long stretches of wide-open parkways; straight, wide roads leading out of town; etc. In the past, German drivers would have been driving these roads at 40-45mph. Now, the combination of increasing numbers of speed cameras and a real belief in saving the environment has German drivers religiously observing the speed limits.

This is the market for which Mercedes engineers are designing their cars. ... So just say "family sedan" to yourselves three times and start saving for an AMG.
In Germany, there have always been not one, but TWO stereotypes of Mercedes drivers. The first stereotype is the one you know and love - the beefy business man (maybe chauffeur-driven) in his black S-Class, flashing his headlights at anyone in his way in the fast lane at 150kmph (95mph). However, the second stereotype is of the white-haired, retired school teacher WEARING HIS HOMBURG HAT while driving his 190D on a Landesstraße (secondary road) at exactly the Landesstraße speed limit of 75kmph (46mph).

When 190Ds (and this stereotype) were new, that teacher probably would have saved all of his working life to buy his Mercedes. installment loans were disreputable in Germany for a long time. A school teacher in Germany is an employee of the Land (state) and, therefore, a high-status job. So that teacher would have had standards he expected to maintain. He also expected his 190D to be the last car he would own. He bought a Mercedes because that was the way Mercedes were built in those days, and that is why they were built that way. A second reason why he bought a Mercedes is because it had enough headroom for him to wear that homburg! (In turn, that is why Mercedes had so much headroom!)

All this is intended to show that designing cars for entertaining young American drivers is not high on Mercedes engineers' priority list. (Thereby creating an opportunity for AMG, a separate corporation with a completely different set of priorities.)
The following users liked this post:
Naeblis (07-25-2019)