Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Potential Solution Rain Sensing Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Potential Solution Rain Sensing Wipers

Hi,
I too, like many who have posted before, thought the rain sensing wipers were a bit too sensitive, often wiping the glass when it was nearly dry and causing rubber marks on the windshield. As many of you have found out before me, there has really been no way to control the sensitivity of this, either at the dealership by reprogramming, or, which would have been more convenient, have a control in the cabin.

The main problem is that the sensors are located directly behind the rear view mirror (when you look at it through the front windshield you see an array of sensors). This is set up to activate wipers when it senses water/debris over it. Problem is, this area is not often effectively cleared with each wiper pass and can thus make it think it's still wet when the remainder of the glass is dry.

The quick easy solution I found is to liberally apply Rain X over this area (as well as the rest of the windshield) and basically it keeps the problems mentioned above at minimum, wiping when it needs to as the there is basically no standing water/debris there when your driving (at least highway speeds) due to the Rain X action.

Hope this helps.

Also, I wanted to include some other topics of discussion (had it in another post attached, but very little response): (My vehicle is a 2004 C320).

Does anyone have any complaints on the automatic dimming of the drivers side and rear view mirrrors? I like the option that Infinity has where you can select this feature on and off. I'm still in the air whether I like this or not.

For those of you who have used the "rest" feature on the climate control in hot weather situations, when you come back to the car, have you really felt a difference? I've tried it a few times and I think it may be a gimmick (parking in the sun I have a charcoal interior which doesn't help, (and pewter exterior color (I absolutely love the color combination but pay for it with the interior getting a bit hot).

Why does the upper vents that seem to blow only cold air not shut off automatically when you are trying to heat the car? My wife likes the passenger side a bit warmer than I do so we have the dual temp settings, but no matter how high she puts it, cold air will blow through the upper vent which she has to manually shut off (then directing a lot more cold air to my side and therefore I have to adjust it too). It would be a nice feature if cold vents shut off automatically.

Is it me, or is that esimated fuel range way to volitile to be off much use. For example, I can be cruising at the same speed, registering around the same mpg for the trip and looking at the gas mileage left in the tank I can see jumps as much as 60-80 miles.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
I've been using Rain-X for the longest of time and have been pleased with the result and my auto-sensing wipers...

The only way you can turn off auto dimming would be to "tape" the little sensor on the rearview mirror...... Although if you are willing to fork some $$ I'm sure somebody could make you a cutoff switch...
Old 10-01-2004, 08:47 AM

E200 Kompressor (sold 2008), BMW 7 series (2009), now waiting for the E63
I have a similar gripe with the auto-dimming rear view mirror too - in my case, a small removable disk (one of those that don't leave a residue) strategically placed over the sensor's seem to have done the trick

Here in Singapore, we NEVER use the heater, so I can't help you with that there...

Thanks for the Rain-X tip - been having problems with the rain sensors myself!

Last edited by wobbles; 10-01-2004 at 08:51 AM.