GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Should I buy an extended warranty?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
Should I buy an extended warranty?

At the risk of reopening an old subject, I am curious how some of you feel about purchasing an extended warranty. I expect to take delivery of my new GL in less than two weeks, and I know when the paperwork is being finalized, I'll be asked whether or not I want this. I am guessing it will be another 2 or 3 thousand dollars, and due to the questionable reliability history for Mercedes, it may prove to be a smart move to buy it. Comments?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:03 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by JDT1
At the risk of reopening an old subject, I am curious how some of you feel about purchasing an extended warranty. I expect to take delivery of my new GL in less than two weeks, and I know when the paperwork is being finalized, I'll be asked whether or not I want this. I am guessing it will be another 2 or 3 thousand dollars, and due to the questionable reliability history for Mercedes, it may prove to be a smart move to buy it. Comments?
I had always been under the impression that extended warranties cover a product during the time that nothing is supposed to happen. If there is a defect it should show up before the OMW expires. However, with all the high tech equipment, computer chips, and very expensive luxury equipment, I have conceeded and bought XT warranties on the last two vehicles, including the '08 GL 320. I negotiated it up front and even utilized it as a bargaining chip, since I know there is a good markup on them. They first offered an aftermarket, which I refused and held out for the 100K MB extended warranty.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
The GL is a complicated, sophisticated vehicle (like many today) repairs will be expensive. The fact that it is a MB ups the ante a little more.....the bottom line is: if you plan to keep your vehicle beyond the original warranty ( years or miles ), then you should seriously consider it.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
You do not have to buy the coverage at the sale..you can purchase later on as long as the factory 4 year, 50,000 miles has not been exceeded. Whether price negotiation is more beneficial at the sale or later on I don't know.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 AM

I did on my 320 GL and had an extended warranty on my 2000 ml. Consider that my ml sunroof stopped working in year 6 and the part (replacement sun roof-sky view roof) was $9k covered mostly by the warranty.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MDGL320
I did on my 320 GL and had an extended warranty on my 2000 ml. Consider that my ml sunroof stopped working in year 6 and the part (replacement sun roof-sky view roof) was $9k covered mostly by the warranty.
"Mostly?" Either it's under warranty or it's not, yes?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
You do not have to buy the coverage at the sale..you can purchase later on as long as the factory 4 year, 50,000 miles has not been exceeded. Whether price negotiation is more beneficial at the sale or later on I don't know.
As I have said before, I bought every kind of warranty/insurance they offered except for paint and interior coverage. This included wheel/tire hazard coverage, windshield glass coverage, dent repair coverage, and the standard mechanical coverage to 6 years/100K miles. I did this because it is my intention to keep it at least 100K miles.

As to the issue of negotiability, since I bought so much stuff, they cut me a deal. All of it was packaged together at $4750, which was a substantial discount off the standard pricing of each individual item.

They said that it was cheaper to buy the extended mechanical warranty at the outset than later on before the warranty expires.

I have already used the wheel and tire coverage and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
A warranty is the same thing as an insurance policy.

Know any insurance companies losing money?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by lkchris
A warranty is the same thing as an insurance policy.

Know any insurance companies losing money?

That said.......know anybody who really can't wait to USE the insurance they just paid, or are paying, big bucks for? You are basically paying for "peace of mind."
Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Why not wait until the OMW is about to expire before purchasing the extended warranty? You will be in a better position at that time to know if you will keep the GL or get the latest greatest. Plus, since it appears the warranty covers "most" of the repair costs, you will have more experience with your GL at that time to know if you should keep it despite your original intent. If you happen to get a problem one, it might be better to trade.

The extended warranty might be more later - invest what you would have spent today to cover the higher cost. Don't spend it before you have to.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM

SL500, ML350, 2 GL550's (on order)
Originally Posted by boxboss
Why not wait until the OMW is about to expire before purchasing the extended warranty? You will be in a better position at that time to know if you will keep the GL or get the latest greatest. Plus, since it appears the warranty covers "most" of the repair costs, you will have more experience with your GL at that time to know if you should keep it despite your original intent. If you happen to get a problem one, it might be better to trade.

The extended warranty might be more later - invest what you would have spent today to cover the higher cost. Don't spend it before you have to.
Well said!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Well, I finally took delivery of my '08 320CDI...what a great ride. Anyway, please indulge me on this, but I have time to decide on the extended warranty. For the 7/100,000, they'll drop the MB warranty to $3,670, or a third party warranty by CNA National for $2,526. The latter is actually for 7/70,000 which is a closer fit to my driving. The only key difference (after the OMW expires) is that the CNA warranty requires a $100 deductable.
Also, I can get for $399 ea., the tire/wheel protection, the dent protection and windshield protection, all for 5 years. I don't need the windshield coverage as I have a $50 deductable with State Farm and they'll replace the windshield. Otherwise, I lean toward the CNA, tire/wheels and dent warranties. I expect to keep the vehicle past the OMW. Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Well, I finally took delivery of my '08 320CDI...what a great ride. Anyway, please indulge me on this, but I have time to decide on the extended warranty. For the 7/100,000, they'll drop the MB warranty to $3,670, or a third party warranty by CNA National for $2,526. The latter is actually for 7/70,000 which is a closer fit to my driving. The only key difference (after the OMW expires) is that the CNA warranty requires a $100 deductable.
Also, I can get for $399 ea., the tire/wheel protection, the dent protection and windshield protection, all for 5 years. I don't need the windshield coverage as I have a $50 deductable with State Farm and they'll replace the windshield. Otherwise, I lean toward the CNA, tire/wheels and dent warranties. I expect to keep the vehicle past the OMW. Thoughts? Thanks.
The auto warranty business is a very competitive market, so pricing doesn't go up that much. I would suggest what others have said on this subject and see how the GL performs for you. If you still love driving it you can always buy one just before the warranty expires. You'll be able to find a good one for around $3K or less.

There are also extended warranties for cars out of their OMW...that being said - I think you have plenty of time to consider this option.

Enjoy the truck - I know we are!

BJ
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
I am picking up my car in three weeks and want to make a decision on the extended warranty as well... from what I hear there is a $500 inspection charge to add the MB 2 year extended warranty after purchase. Anyone else came across this?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by peabers
I am picking up my car in three weeks and want to make a decision on the extended warranty as well... from what I hear there is a $500 inspection charge to add the MB 2 year extended warranty after purchase. Anyone else came across this?
Nothing was ever said to me about an inspection charge. I went ahead and "splurged" for the extended warranty. I got the finance rep to drop his price a little more after he had already dropped it some a couple of days before when I took delivery. For the tire/wheel coverage, it cost $350 as did the dent coverage (perhaps a waste). For the 3rd party extended warranty by CNA, he dropped the 7/70,000 coverage to $2,426, which is about $1,350 less than what he would have charged for the MB coverage, although it was for 7/100,000. Maybe I jumped the gun to early, but oh well....I don't have to worry about it. There's something to be said for peace of mind. By the way, I was told that there would be up to a 20% surcharge on purchasing the extended warranty if I waited until after the original warranty expired. Who knows what the future would hold as far as an increase in these coverages is concerned.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Question On the fence

I am considering a warranty on my CLS500. This is the option:

1. Go with a third party (Warranty America), which offers a 100K warranty exclusionary(bumper to bumper) excluding some wear items such as tires, brake pads, etc. The warranty is $2900 and covers the NAV system.

2. Go with a MB warranty which was quoted to me at $5000.

Now, my car currently has 31K on it so I would only get 50K miles additional once the warranty runs out. The problem I have with that, is for 50K additional miles of coverage 5K for the MB warranty seems really steep. After speaking with some dealers here in Georgia they won't take payments from a third party warranty due to so many issues about getting paid. Now Warranty America pays by credit card, but I don't want the issue of taking the car to a dealer and they won't accept a third party warranty. After talking with RBM Mercedes here in Atlanta, the rep mentioned I probably would do better at sticking 5K in a high yield savings account and use it for repairs later down the road. I am thinking that may be a good idea as well, thoughts or suggestions?