MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   New key anyone? (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/281978-new-key-anyone.html)

oknish 02-09-2009 11:49 PM

New key anyone?

I managed to lose my key and am wondering if anyone else had the same (not so good) luck. I hope no but have to ask.

How much did it cost? How long did it take? Any unusual hoops?

Air Marshall Eldritch 02-09-2009 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by oknish (Post 3340702)
I managed to lose my key and am wondering if anyone else had the same (not so good) luck. I hope no but have to ask.

A couple of days. Bring your registration and license to your dealer, and hope they don't charge more than $150. Don't try to buy a blank from the internet..

Newbie_2_MB 02-10-2009 12:14 AM

Bummer, Nish! I found this thread about the cost of a replacement key. Scroll down a bit to the post by "petery" and he quotes a cost of $285.

Brocktoon 02-10-2009 08:25 AM

In Canada, mine was two hundred and change. The blade comes seperate from the fob, but the two must be ordered together. It took less than 24 hours to get the fob, a couple days for the blade. Make sure you get them to order the new style fob with the retractable key ring loop and interchangable coloured blade slider buttons. The first is great for the valet, the second is just cool.

They said that if the fob came "needing programming" it would be an hour of shop time, but it did not need anything.

MomsBenz 02-10-2009 12:33 PM

I just got a new key but am not sure what it costs since the dealer paid for it. It only took a few days. If you have Keyless Go, you will need to have it programmed. It will unlock the doors with the button but will not recongnize it to start the car. Bummer you lost it :( Hope it isn't too much!

Txhurdle 02-10-2009 04:48 PM

Lot harder than it used to be even 6 months ago. More loops to jump through I should say. In MBUSA's attempt to further combat exported models, your car now has to be at the dealer when ordered, in addition to further proof of any necessary license, registration, insurance and programming upon keys arrival.

StevethePilot 02-10-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by oknish (Post 3340702)

Ya know, I like a little "new key" every now and again myself!

(Oh no I DIDUNT!)

oknish 02-10-2009 07:43 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. And, like Txhurdle says, it is a a frigging pain. Car has to be at the dealer with registration and id.

LA area dealers want anywhere from $250 to $400 for the key. And, the programming for KG involves leaving the key in ignition for 40 minutes from what I have read. Would like confirmation on that.

Get this - you have to order the metal blade separately.

I am annoyed and have banned my son from attending any more birthday parties since the key was lost at a party for one of his friends.

oknish 02-10-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot (Post 3343171)
Ya know, I like a little "new key" every now and again myself!

Prolly easier to find your "new key" then a MB key.

Watch out the jokers are out in full force today :D

Brocktoon 02-10-2009 08:06 PM

Look out Nish! I think STP fancies you!

oknish 02-11-2009 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon (Post 3343271)

:rolf::rolf::rolf:

You are going to be inducted in the forum hall of Jesters pretty soon, if you don't watch yourself :D

StevethePilot 02-11-2009 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon (Post 3343271)

My wife will be so sad. :rolf:

Txhurdle 02-11-2009 03:09 PM

'new key' I just got it. Darn I'm getting old.

And yes, on an extended amount of time necessary for the car and key to 'learn' each other. Just under $300 last month in the specific instance I am referring to.

Stumblefoot 02-19-2009 12:11 PM

Nish,

I don't like the looks of this thread. Senora Stumblefoot lost her key months ago (I'm hoping is just misplaced in a coat pocket, purse, etc.) and I had no idea it would cost this much, or be this painful.

Newbie_2_MB 02-19-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot (Post 3362440)
Nish,

...I'm hoping is just misplaced in a coat pocket, purse...

I believe the correct term is "handbag." :)

oknish 02-19-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Nish,

I don't like the looks of this thread. Senora Stumblefoot lost her key months ago (I'm hoping is just misplaced in a coat pocket, purse, etc.) and I had no idea it would cost this much, or be this painful.

Good to see you back, StumbleSire. And, yes, a royal pain this is. Luckily I got a 15% coupon from one of the dealers nearby so will probably make the trek tomorrow. I have given up all hope on finding mine :(

oknish 02-19-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB (Post 3363447)
I believe the correct term is "handbag." :)

:bow:

Stumblefoot 05-16-2009 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot (Post 3362440)
Nish,

While cleaning the patio firepit, guess what I found? :woowoo: Shockingly, it still works just fine.

cjh. 05-16-2009 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot (Post 3527622)
While cleaning the patio firepit, guess what I found? :woowoo: Shockingly, it still works just fine.

It was in the firepit? :eek:

At least you have another key now...even though it might be charred.

StevethePilot 05-16-2009 08:24 PM

Holy schneikies! :eek:

oknish 05-16-2009 09:09 PM

Wow......just wow. Mine is probably swept up somewhere in Pacific by now :)

Nevada Jack 05-22-2009 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by oknish (Post 3527803)
Wow......just wow. Mine is probably swept up somewhere in Pacific by now :)

You could just trade your GL in for a new one Nish... good excuse and no time spent waiting for key to sync with the vehicle. Never pass up a good reason to replace your present set of wheels...:-)

I don't know about Brian and him finding the key in the firepit... what kind of parties do these Colorado people have anyway...

StevethePilot 05-22-2009 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack (Post 3538484)
You could just trade your GL in for a new one Nish... good excuse and no time spent waiting for key to sync with the vehicle. Never pass up a good reason to replace your present set of wheels...:-)

I don't know about Brian and him finding the key in the firepit... what kind of parties do these Colorado people have anyway...

:rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf:

oknish 05-24-2009 03:19 PM

Let me try to sell this "internally", Jack. While it may not meet too much resistance, I have a feeling my pocketbook will take a hit that may cost twice the cost of a new GL :)

I think we should all go to CO and find out. That is, if Brian asks us :D

Nevada Jack 05-24-2009 08:58 PM

[QUOTE]Let me try to sell this "internally", Jack. While it may not meet too much resistance, I have a feeling my pocketbook will take a hit that may cost twice the cost of a new GL :)

Yes... that is the price we pay for keeping a marriage together... 50/50 or is it a 100/50?

[quote]I think we should all go to CO and find out. That is, if Brian asks us :D

Nice trip... I wonder if it has stopped snowing on I-70 yet?