GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Transmission Wouldn't Shift

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
gl550
Originally Posted by EWT
My 08 had warped plates(?) inside the transmission that required pulling the transmission and opening it up to repair. It was holding onto first gear too long and then shifting abruptly when it did. I'm glad the car was still under warranty. It would not have been a cheap repair.
I had that problem last year with the warped engine plate not the transmission. ( front of the flywheel)..oil kept leaking, they kept changing the crankshaft seal but still leaking, then they found that warped plate and replaced it.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E63 s63 (sold),1986 Buick Grand National (sold)2014 ML63
John G - you said:

.....Mercedes Service Bulletin S-B-27.00/120 dated April 8, 2011. This bulletin lists multiple prior Service Bulletins, as well as replacement parts, replacement parts for replacement parts, and replacement parts for replacement parts for replacement parts for Mercedes Models equipped with Transmission 722.9 including model 251 (mine).....

Can we get out hands on the actual bulletin?

I don't think this problem is the valve body itself but the electrical control unit attached to it. I think the dealer swaps out the whole assembly for a bigger repair ticket and less chance of the problem coming back to bite them.

I wonder if this control unit can be swapped individually - especially say from an '08? This '07 year seems to be the problem year, since no one is complaining about the '08 I bet they made minor changes to the part.

Also, guys on the E55 board talk of TCU flashing for performance - i.e. reprogramming the TCU. I wonder if this could just be a software patch or re-install of the control unit software?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM

@ Emily - a warped flywheel and oil leak would be something totally unrelated - that is a clear cut defect. Nothing in normal use (or perhaps abuse) would warp the flywheel/flexplate short of getting it stupid hot. The oil leak would be explained by these things being out of round, wobbling and out of balance in that area. The other issues you mentioned just reek of a defective transmission, period. I would make them replace it whole cloth, if you can get them to.

This problem is also not a warped valve body as someone else mentioned; if it was warped and causing leakage between passages and affecting gear selection, simply shutting down and restarting wouldn't "unwarp" the valve body and fix the problem. It has to be the electronics attached to it.

Power cycling the car and having a successful resolution tells me it's electronic, no different than restarting a crashed computer. You know, CTRL+ALT+DEL.....

Lastly, someone else mentioned having the battery swapped out and it solved the problem, again hinting at electronics. Could the existing battery have a low instant surge voltage on initial startup occasionally, scramming the TCU electronics? Are the '07 TCU/electronics especially touchy, and was this corrected by '08?

I would like all in thread to keep in touch with any additional info, we can likely prove this is a defect, and should it continue we will make them address it. I will keep everyone informed on what I learn.

There is strength in numbers!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Exclamation

** UPDATE

They do a software update. If that does not resolve the problem they do the valve body and then if that fails they have replaced transmissions.
I suspect what the OPs feel of slipping is the transmission getting lost between gears momentarily or the TQ lockup engaging poorly. Some just
get TQ lockup clutches.

I can't get to WIS to make a PDF, here is the latest on the 7g valve body/conductor plate.
Here is a cut and past from a 48mb PDF.
The GLK 350 loaner I had was doing strange things. This transmission is still haunting MB.
Quote:
Date: April 8, 2011

Order No.: S-B-27.00/120

Group: 27

SUBJECT: All Models Equipped with 722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission

All Warrantable Model Years

Diagnostic Verification for Valve Body/Conductor Plate Replacement Required for Warranty Replacement Only

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC will begin Diagnostic Verification for 722.9 NAG2 Transmission Valve Body/Conductor Plate replacements starting on Monday, April 18, 2011. MBUSA has posted a Diagnostic Verification form for transmission replacements which can be found on: NetStar -> Service -> STAR TekInfo -> Diagnostic Verification Proj. -> NAG2 Valve Body/Conductor Plate

Under this program, replacement of the Model Year 2004 through present Model Year 722.9 (NAG2) Transmission Valve Body/Conductor Plate will require verification that a replacement is necessary prior to replacement in accordance with the program terms summarized below.
^ The technician shall conduct an accurate assessment and complete documentation of the problem by submitting a Diagnostic verification request through NetStar -> Service -> STAR TekInfo -> Diagnostic Verification Proj. -> NAG2 Valve Body/Conductor Plate.

The entire thread is here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...nsmission.html

A lot of tech gobbelygook, but I'm starting to think I am right.

Read on!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM

hmm

Hello all, this issue has serious safety concerns and is something that needs immediate attention and action taken. Please read on.

I have a 2007 GL 450 that has begun the notorious 7 speed (722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) etc. electronics failure. It will get stuck in a random forward gear with no apparent driver/user solution but to power cycle the vehicle. (Shut it down, and restart.) If you shift to neutral, it will stay there and not engage any other gear (forward or reverse) until you shutdown and restart. This almost sounds like a bad personal computer operating system. Imagine being in the middle of a normally safe three-point-turn to find the vehicle won’t move unless you shut it off and restart! It happened to me today.

This is a load of nonsense – this problem is not due to abuse, misuse, neglect, or even reasonable wear and tear. I have found others that have been told “the valve body is warped”, etc – so it follows restarting the car un-warped it? Do these people (the dealers) really know how to service these vehicles? This is clearly an electronics failure.

This is an absolute design/manufacturing flaw of the "conductor plate and valve body assembly", and my research carries that the Benz 7 speed transmission is notorious across many models and platforms, and there are many TSB’s on it; recently (Date: April 8, 2011 Order No.: S-B-27.00/120 Group: 27 SUBJECT: All Models Equipped with 722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) and it is a well documented problem internally within MBUSA.

Beyond warranty? Not a CPO vehicle? Okay - but - ….

Try this - If my wife (or yours) gets off the freeway, comes to a stop, and then attempts to proceed normally with the vehicle now stuck in 5th (or whatever it chooses) gear, - there is a reasonable user presumption that the car would accelerate normally and be able to safely join traffic....instead it crawls forward at a few miles an hour into potential harms way with no way to accelerate the vehicle normally, thereby leaving the driver and our children in danger. I speak from personal experience.

This is not just a defect, it is a safety issue, and MBUSA needs their feet held to the fire on this one.

It is unreasonable for any manufacturer to tout "The best or nothing" and "Engineered like no other car in the world" and then expect the consumer to pay $2000+ to fix a known electronics design/manufacture flaw. There are even rumblings that VDO (speed sensor/electronics manufacturer) and MB are at odds over who is actually to blame, so clearly they both see costs are going to mount when the inevitable recall occurs. I plan to notify the NHTSA among others if I don't get some favorable answers immediately.

To make it worse, Part # 220 270 27 06 88 is what I am told I need, costing $838.00. (wow!) If I wanted to buy this part outright and have my indy shop or myself install it, I STILL have to go to the dealer for "programming" that I nor most indy shops can carry out.
So regardless of who is at fault, you are railroaded into going to the dealer, dealing with their dismissive “here’s the bill” attitude and paying their inflated rates regardless. You as a consumer are left with no other recourse. I wonder if there is a legal challenge with that in and of itself. To the OP, it sounds like they even robbed you on the part alone.

In summary, they build a defective transmission that will certainly leave you in harm’s way, and then they (MBUSA) say “too bad, pay US to fix it or you have no other option.” I question not only the ethics but legality of this position MBUSA has taken.

I am collecting names, vehicle types, and e mail addresses for any that are interested in signing on to force MBUSA into a recall based on safety (or lack thereof) alone.

I do not seek anything more than an email address, name, and year/make/model affected. Your information will not be used for any other purpose but adding strength to my argument with MBUSA. Feel free to PM me, or email aplguys@aol.com.

Understand absolutely clearly that I am not attempting to defame, discredit, or slander MBUSA in any fashion, but I will not have safety compromised in a premium vehicle and then be billed for it, nor will I be lead to believe it’s “normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, or neglect”. This is a flaw that compromises safety, period.

I bought my GL450 because I love my Mercedes Benz E55 AMG so much. I bought another Benz because of the quality previously displayed and that one would reasonably expect. Maybe I should have kept my Dodge Durango Limited. What’s right is right.

If we stick together, maybe good will prevail. There is strength in numbers.

I want to hear from all of you affected!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
I encountered the trans issue today

Originally Posted by Chris Buffalo
Hello all, this issue has serious safety concerns and is something that needs immediate attention and action taken. Please read on.

I have a 2007 GL 450 that has begun the notorious 7 speed (722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) etc. electronics failure. It will get stuck in a random forward gear with no apparent driver/user solution but to power cycle the vehicle. (Shut it down, and restart.) If you shift to neutral, it will stay there and not engage any other gear (forward or reverse) until you shutdown and restart. This almost sounds like a bad personal computer operating system. Imagine being in the middle of a normally safe three-point-turn to find the vehicle won’t move unless you shut it off and restart! It happened to me today.

This is a load of nonsense – this problem is not due to abuse, misuse, neglect, or even reasonable wear and tear. I have found others that have been told “the valve body is warped”, etc – so it follows restarting the car un-warped it? Do these people (the dealers) really know how to service these vehicles? This is clearly an electronics failure.

This is an absolute design/manufacturing flaw of the "conductor plate and valve body assembly", and my research carries that the Benz 7 speed transmission is notorious across many models and platforms, and there are many TSB’s on it; recently (Date: April 8, 2011 Order No.: S-B-27.00/120 Group: 27 SUBJECT: All Models Equipped with 722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) and it is a well documented problem internally within MBUSA.

Try this - If my wife (or yours) gets off the freeway, comes to a stop, and then attempts to proceed normally with the vehicle now stuck in 5th (or whatever it chooses) gear, - there is a reasonable user presumption that the car would accelerate normally and be able to safely join traffic....instead it crawls forward at a few miles an hour into potential harms way with no way to accelerate the vehicle normally, thereby leaving the driver and our children in danger. I speak from personal experience.

This is not just a defect, it is a safety issue, and MBUSA needs their feet held to the fire on this one.

It is unreasonable for any manufacturer to tout "The best or nothing" and "Engineered like no other car in the world" and then expect the consumer to pay $2000+ to fix a known electronics design/manufacture flaw. There are even rumblings that VDO (speed sensor/electronics manufacturer) and MB are at odds over who is actually to blame, so clearly they both see costs are going to mount when the inevitable recall occurs. I plan to notify the NHTSA among others if I don't get some favorable answers immediately.

To make it worse, Part # 220 270 27 06 88 is what I am told I need, costing $838.00. (wow!) If I wanted to buy this part outright and have my indy shop or myself install it, I STILL have to go to the dealer for "programming" that I nor most indy shops can carry out.
So regardless of who is at fault, you are railroaded into going to the dealer, dealing with their dismissive “here’s the bill” attitude and paying their inflated rates regardless. You as a consumer are left with no other recourse. I wonder if there is a legal challenge with that in and of itself. To the OP, it sounds like they even robbed you on the part alone.

In summary, they build a defective transmission that will certainly leave you in harm’s way, and then they (MBUSA) say “too bad, pay US to fix it or you have no other option.” I question not only the ethics but legality of this position MBUSA has taken.

I am collecting names, vehicle types, and e mail addresses for any that are interested in signing on to force MBUSA into a recall based on safety (or lack thereof) alone.

I do not seek anything more than an email address, name, and year/make/model affected. Your information will not be used for any other purpose but adding strength to my argument with MBUSA. Feel free to PM me, or email aplguys@aol.com.

Understand absolutely clearly that I am not attempting to defame, discredit, or slander MBUSA in any fashion, but I will not have safety compromised in a premium vehicle and then be billed for it, nor will I be lead to believe it’s “normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, or neglect”. This is a flaw that compromises safety, period.

I bought my GL450 because I love my Mercedes Benz E55 AMG so much. I bought another Benz because of the quality previously displayed and that one would reasonably expect. Maybe I should have kept my Dodge Durango Limited. What’s right is right.

My 2008 GL450 didn't shift from "D1" at the traffic light. I had to bring it to a halt, put it to park and shift back to Drive and everything worked fine? Should I be worried? This is the first time and hopefully the last. I need to go to dealer to fix the Tailgate issue.. should I ask them to look into the transmission issue as well?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM

Okay guys, here's the solution:

I took the GL 450 in for the "conductor plate". It controls all shift behavior, and I predict that eventually the folks at MBUSA will eventually recall or at least partially compensate owners for this defect, as it is clearly not neglect or misuse.

The part I needed is 270-17-00-88. $361.53
Along with some ancillary fluids, gaskets, and 4 hours of labor, I was out the door for around a grand. $1064.23 to be exact, before local taxes.

I clearly am not happy, but it now works fine. The dealer tried pulling some inflated labor BS to the tune of 8-9 hours and twice this cost, but I wasn't going for it, as I know what is entailed in replacing this part.

I could have *****ed louder, but the previous owner was an idiot and didn't change the trans oil @ 39k miles as instructed, so they had an out.

Moral to the story: FOLLOW YOUR MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. They pay millions in engineering to make these cars great, don't try to rethink what they prescribe. At the very least, you will have a stronger leg to stand on in the event of an issue. Second, don't take BS from the dealer. Mine was cool, but I had to remind them I know what's up to get the bill adjusted to be fair. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before paying any crazy repair bill!

In the end, Save your receipts. If MBUSA is forced to recall this known and well documented problem, you can request compensation based on paying out of pocket.

Trans works fine now!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

2007 GL 450
My '07 had the same issue last month...

Luckily for me I took it in a week before my CPO warranty ran out. FYI, as my repairs were covered, dealership had to get the parts and service pre-approved by MBUSA.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 AM

2007 GL450, 2003 BMW 325i
I can't believe this. I have the same symptom that randomly occurred to me and restarting fixed all for the moment. And like Chris, my previous owner did not change tranny fluid at 39k. I just did about a week ago.

Dang! My 01 ML430 lasted til 183k til tranny acted up. I'm barely at 63k with this one.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I think I may have spoken too soon on the reliability of my GL in another thread. I just had this happen on the way home tonight. It is getting stuck in high gear and will not downshift unless I turn off and restart. Will have it towed to the dealer in the morning. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM

Hey folks, I hope we learned from my experience!

Two things:

1) FOLLOW YOUR SERVICE INTERVALS, it gives you recourse later;

2) Do your homework. MY repair cost a lil over a grand, and some folks have been reporting 3 times as much, and weeks without their vehicle!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Hey folks, I hope we learned from my experience!

Two things:

1) FOLLOW YOUR SERVICE INTERVALS, it gives you recourse later;

2) Do your homework. MY repair cost a lil over a grand, and some folks have been reporting 3 times as much, and weeks without their vehicle!
1) I did follow the transmission service interval.

2) I have an aftermwarket warranty or it would have been just over a $1,000 repair.

The part is most likely defective. German cars are very consistent. That's good and bad. Now, they will all most likely fail. If you do the recommend flush at 39,000 miles, it will happen later down the road. If not, it may fail more quickly. Either way, it is still going to fail.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM

more recent symptoms:
1) rough or late shifting
2) cruising in 7th at 2k RPM; sounds high to me
3) at a stop light, no power in first gear; car crawls forward 10mph, depress gas nearly to the floor and finally shifts to second then proceeded to shift normally.

No lights on the dash. Sporadic symptoms. Seems to "rest" itself with the power cycling on and off for the time being.

All related? I fear a trip to the dealer is immanent.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by RCorney17
more recent symptoms:
1) rough or late shifting
2) cruising in 7th at 2k RPM; sounds high to me
3) at a stop light, no power in first gear; car crawls forward 10mph, depress gas nearly to the floor and finally shifts to second then proceeded to shift normally.

No lights on the dash. Sporadic symptoms. Seems to "rest" itself with the power cycling on and off for the time being.

All related? I fear a trip to the dealer is immanent.
2k in 7th is about 70 mph so unless your speed is very different than 70ish it is ok.

rough and late shifting (to a point) is common when tranny is cold. take it easy the first few minutes.

now #3 might be a problem. go have the car read. no lights does not mean no codes and freeze data stored.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 PM

@alx:
Thanks for the reasurrance; we're probably doing 65 or so in 7th.

Tranny is warm when late shifting symptom occurs. It happens most when going up or down our driveway which is steep and has a tight corner.

Will do on the dealer visit. My other symptom (read higher up in my previous post) is a "will not shift" but corrects with cycling engine off.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by RCorney17
@alx:
Thanks for the reasurrance; we're probably doing 65 or so in 7th.

Tranny is warm when late shifting symptom occurs. It happens most when going up or down our driveway which is steep and has a tight corner.

Will do on the dealer visit. My other symptom (read higher up in my previous post) is a "will not shift" but corrects with cycling engine off.
there is a good chance that your tranny valve body plate is going... as i said- go have the car read- they do throw transmission codes when the situation deteriorates, but has not quite stranded you on the side of the road yet
Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by alx
there is a good chance that your tranny valve body plate is going... as i said- go have the car read- they do throw transmission codes when the situation deteriorates, but has not quite stranded you on the side of the road yet
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid for the wifey.
Thanks. I'll update when I learn what and how much$.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM

S550, and GL450
I've had 2 07 GL's. One had the shift problem, and one did not. It's a recurring problem with the 07 model. I have a 2010 GL now, with no issues. Many nice improvements too.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 AM

2006 E55 AMG

Just read this. Any luck yet?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM

2016 GL450
Anybody recently had tranny problem on GL450

Okay guys, here's the solution:

I took the GL 450 in for the "conductor plate". It controls all shift behavior, and I predict that eventually the folks at MBUSA will eventually recall or at least partially compensate owners for this defect, as it is clearly not neglect or misuse.

The part I needed is 270-17-00-88. $361.53
Along with some ancillary fluids, gaskets, and 4 hours of labor, I was out the door for around a grand. $1064.23 to be exact, before local taxes.

I clearly am not happy, but it now works fine. The dealer tried pulling some inflated labor BS to the tune of 8-9 hours and twice this cost, but I wasn't going for it, as I know what is entailed in replacing this part.

I could have *****ed louder, but the previous owner was an idiot and didn't change the trans oil @ 39k miles as instructed, so they had an out.

Moral to the story: FOLLOW YOUR MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. They pay millions in engineering to make these cars great, don't try to rethink what they prescribe. At the very least, you will have a stronger leg to stand on in the event of an issue. Second, don't take BS from the dealer. Mine was cool, but I had to remind them I know what's up to get the bill adjusted to be fair. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before paying any crazy repair bill!

In the end, Save your receipts. If MBUSA is forced to recall this known and well documented problem, you can request compensation based on paying out of pocket.

Trans works fine now!

Hope this helps!
Hello All-

1) Offlate my 2008 GL450 doesn't shift from P to D or R. I have to restart to get it working. It happens atleast once a day now-a-days. I mentioned this to the dealer during my recent visit but they were unable to replicate the issue or find any error codes? How do get the dealer to look into and fix the issue?

2) Other proble started 2 days ago, there seem to be an issue with the airmatic... after I park the car, the front part drops so low that the fender almost touches the tire and I hear air leak sound for a while. Once I start the car rises to normal height (may be still lower that what it used to be) Is this airmatic failure on the front?

Please advise...

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM

gl550
GL 450 , 2008

Hi everyone,
My GL 450 2008 was under extended warranty, and been changed " transmission conductor plate (shifting problem), all four shocks and airmatic systems, door trims, second row chair latch, AC vents (guiders), recalled cable (exended longer cable) for cranksharp sensors, lower arms control and serveral rods under front of the car that making "clunking" noise when going over speed bump or in/out of driveway.
I had to tell and force many many times in order for the service dealer to replace it before the car out of warranty.

*****If your car is without warranty, they will recommend to change it.*******
*****If your car is still under manufacture or extended warranty, they will try to ignore the problems.*****

Just share my exp. with you guys.

Last edited by EmilyMB; 06-16-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 PM

2016 GL450
Thanks Emily. Will try to push the dealer to look at my "conductor plate".
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Latest symptom is blinking triangle with exclamation point that eliminates power. Okay after restart and has not repeated in the last 4 or 5 days. Seems to send it into Limp mode but I've got no lights on the dash now.

Is this all conductor plate/ control module related?

I've had the "not shifting" issue for 15k now randomly and sporadically. This is the first time I've had a warning light on the dash related to it. Dealer checked all codes last time it was in for an oil change prior to this recent experience. Does the flashing light mean I will have a code registered now that will help MB diagnose better?

I want to be more proactive on this so something more costly doesn't break because of neglect now.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM

2011 GL 350
I have 2011 GL 350 that wouldn't shift from park to drive. Tried restarting multiple times without success. Wonder if any 2011 GL's having the same "conductor plate" problems. Will call dealer on Monday. Any input would be appreciated before dealing with dealer. Bought MB extended warranty. Hope they don't pull this on me.

*****If your car is without warranty, they will recommend to change it.*******
*****If your car is still under manufacture or extended warranty, they will try to ignore the problems.*****
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 PM

gl550
hi KHM2010,
if your car is still under warranty, all you just need is call road side assistance, and they will take your car to service dealer, check for the error codes and take care all for you. Sometime it maybe a software problem...(can be re-program)...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Wouldn't Shift