MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   How to - Gl450 low beam bulb removal (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/368039-how-gl450-low-beam-bulb-removal.html)

Hermosa 09-20-2010 08:04 PM

How to - Gl450 low beam bulb removal

Hi,
I'm trying to remove a faulty driver side low beam bulb, but can't seem to get it out. I have the cap of the back of the housing, and can reach the bulb. Does it twist out, pop out, I can't seem to get it to go in any direction, and I don't want to apply force when i'm not 100% sure what needs to be done. Any help appreciated. :)

thanks in advance!!

Hermosa.

Hermosa 09-20-2010 09:14 PM

i got it figured out, counter clockwise with a little pressure. came right out.

Max Blast 09-22-2010 11:43 PM

I found the really hard part was to separate the bulb from the connector - carefully using a plastic spudger to pry it apart got it going. There was no clip to unfasten or tab to push to release the bulb. Otherwise I would have probably pulled the glass off the bulb itself, they were in there star tight.
BTW replacing the stock bulbs with PIAA bulbs and adjusting the lights up a tad brought the night time driving experience from scary to okay.

BlownV8 09-23-2010 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Max Blast (Post 4264033)
I found the really hard part was to separate the bulb from the connector - carefully using a plastic spudger to pry it apart got it going. There was no clip to unfasten or tab to push to release the bulb. Otherwise I would have probably pulled the glass off the bulb itself, they were in there star tight.
BTW replacing the stock bulbs with PIAA bulbs and adjusting the lights up a tad brought the night time driving experience from scary to okay.

Yep, it was a big difference. Do the HID upgrade and it will take the lighting from OK to great.

bluegl450 10-08-2010 12:55 AM

My passengers side headlight has just burnt out and I ordered a new set of Xenon lights on line for $89 and would like to put them in myself. I opened the hood today and was a little overwhelmed and thought maybe I should take it in somewhere to have them put in. Can anyone explain in "dumb car guy" terms the steps to actually access the bulb...
Cheers...

dimitristx 10-11-2014 02:07 PM

Use something as lever to pry the bulb off its socket

I turn my lights off (to '0' position), then after taking the bulb-socket out of the lens (by turning counterclockwise), I used a little screwdriver that I placed under the bulb as lever to slowly/carefully get it loose off of the socket. Once done, it was easy to pull out. This worked even better for the driver's side, where I didn't have to remove any other hardware to reach into the bulb socket.

Dimitris

islandbeef 02-20-2015 12:20 PM

This is for an ML but it should be very similar to the GL.

kombifan 11-30-2017 01:44 PM

Love her voice and directions....

but does anyone know the correct directions for changing the low beam for a HID Xenon equipped GL?

I did this on a 2000 ML55 with super nice clear instructions...where I disconnected the battery and removed the whole assembly; but am having trouble finding out what to do on the GL..

Cheers!

kombifan 11-30-2017 01:47 PM

awesome video for those changing halogen bulbs.
https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ghts/headlight

Lee Reed 01-02-2020 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan (Post 7324315)
Love her voice and directions....

but does anyone know the correct directions for changing the low beam for a HID Xenon equipped GL?

I did this on a 2000 ML55 with super nice clear instructions...where I disconnected the battery and removed the whole assembly; but am having trouble finding out what to do on the GL..

Cheers!

Did you ever find instructions on changing the bulb for an HID? my 07 GL450 with HID low beams is kicking my ass!

BillRadke 08-27-2020 01:05 PM

HID bulb replacement

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 4264136)
Yep, it was a big difference. Do the HID upgrade and it will take the lighting from OK to great.

Did you ever find the answer to replacing the HID bulb?

Lee Reed 08-27-2020 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BillRadke (Post 8143166)
Did you ever find the answer to replacing the HID bulb?

I did not find good instructions. I inserted the bulbs, plugged in the connectors, and shimmed them against the caps using some foam. worked like a charm. I've since traded in the truck (2007 with 99k miles) on a 2014 BMW 435i convertible. $2500 trade-in value. Sheesh.