GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Laminated door glass or security film?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 SLK 230, 2007 GL 450
Laminated door glass or security film?

I'm purchasing this week a nice relatively low mile 2009 550 and quite excited about it.

Currently driving a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee (SRT/8) which will go to the wife. Given the current crime rate in this area, there have been a lot of smash and grabs. Thankfully it's only happened once to me, but they got away with the headrest mounted entertainment system and my Canon dSLR (that was in a backpack under the rear cargo cover).

I've been trying to determine if the GL series has laminated door glass (there is some conflicting info out there and nothing definitive on the MB site) I know several MB models do have it but clearly not all. If not has anyone added a security film to the existing door glass?

I realize this will not make it impossible to break in, but it would certainly slow them down enough to possibly give up and move on or it least make it more likely that someone hears them or sees them. The typical MO here is to smash a side window and reach in and grab what they can reach without opening a door and triggering the alarm.

Thanks!

...Chris
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Not as far as I know. I know Cayanne and some volvos can get them.

I have not tried the films..