GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ADS Malfunction - Stuck in "Sport" Mode - 2007 GL450

Old 09-26-2021, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450
Exclamation ADS Malfunction - Stuck in "Sport" Mode - 2007 GL450

I have a 2007 GL450 (W164) and the Airmatic “Malfunction" error message appears in the information window. The suspension is not sagging or bleeding off. It seems to function fine except I cannot change the ADS settings (sport vs. normal vs. comfort) when it fails.

When the car is first started there are no issues, then after a few minutes of driving the ADS button reverts to and gets stuck in "Sport" mode. You can select Sport, Comfort, or Normal mode when you first start the car but once the malfunction appears it will always revert to Sport mode (after a couple of minutes of driving) and then you are unable to change it.
An independent mechanic changed the compressor (Arnott P-2594 with relay) and this did not solve the issue. They claim it is due to the steering angle calibration (ESP). I thought if the Steering Angle Sensor was faulty, I would get an ESP inoperative error? They recommend changing the Steering Angle Sensor to stop the ADS malfunction light from appearing ($900). I assume they are seeing codes to support this theory. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 485 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
So that’s an airmatic malfunction advisory - and airmatic and ADS are two separate systems.

i would take the car to be read out with a star/das system. The steering angle sensor theory doesn’t make sense but a stuck or malfunctioning sport/comfort button does. And usually a sas error will trigger esp off and yellow triangles and ****.

if you get a code that reads xxxx switch position implausible that would indicate the button is causing the error.

Do you feel a ride difference when comfort is engaged?

There’s so much more troubleshooting to do here before shelling out $900 for a sas.

Last edited by Max Blast; 09-26-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
I was getting a similar symptom when I replaced my rear shocks and one of the ADS modules attached to the shock was faulty. There should be a code which should point to the specific faulty module/corner. It could also be a harness or connection, but the code, again, should point you to the corner in question. I would check each connection to be sure they are snug and the pins inside are clean and corrosion free.

My symptom was ADS in sport mode as soon as I started the car, plus the malfunction message on the IC. I could clear the code with the car running and the car would behave normal till the next start, when the fault apeared again.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:04 AM

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450
Angry ADS Malfunction - Stuck in "Sport" Mode - 2007 GL450

"And usually, an SAS error will trigger esp off and yellow triangles and ****." @Max Blast I agree with your assessment on the SAS...you would expect to "see a SAS error. I DO NOT get this error, only a "malfunction" message on the IC.
Upon initial starting of the car, the ADS is in "nothing" mode. You can switch to "comfort" mode without issue but once you start driving for a couple of minutes, the "Malfunction" message will appear on the IC and the mode will switch to "sport" mode and cannot be changed (i.e. "stuck").
There is a noticeable difference in "Sport" mode. The ride is definitely stiffer. Comfort mode is a much smoother ride;

I will ensure the mechanic has a Star/DAS before proceeding any further. Thank you....

BTW, I also took the car in for an error code "P0410 #07E8 – AIR System A". They replaced the Secondary Air Injection System ($900), but the error code is back (i.e. check engine light is on again).
I am so frustrated with this car......it has been a pain in my side (and in my a$$) for over 3 years but I do not want a car payment (new car) but I am getting close!!

Last edited by cswackha; 09-27-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:20 AM

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450
Update: My compressor was shot, so they replaced it and the error was still there. Then, they said the steering angle sensor was the problem and they replaced that and the error was still there. Then they said the damper on the passenger side strut was leaking and so I replaced that (under Arnott warranty). Now, I can say the suspension malfunction light is gone. Finally.

Now I have the "ESP inoperable" message appearing with the yellow triangle. It is intermittent (goes and off) and very annoying.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:25 PM
EWT

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
It will also get "stuck" in sport if the electrical connector to the shock is not fully clicked into place. I couldn't get mine to click with a new set of shocks on one side and kept having the same issue until I used some duct tape to hold the connector together.