MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   09 GL450 extended warranty or not (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/402451-09-gl450-extended-warranty-not.html)

MRAMG1 05-31-2011 12:11 PM

09 GL450 extended warranty or not

Okay everybody one last annoying poll please.

Found the car, a P2 GL450

Would you buy the extended warranty or have you had no issues.

Thanks again.

BJ021 06-01-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MRAMG1 (Post 4697266)
Okay everybody one last annoying poll please.

Found the car, a P2 GL450

Would you buy the extended warranty or have you had no issues.

Thanks again.

If it were pre-owned by someone other than me...I would buy the warranty.

mbmama 06-01-2011 11:31 AM

If you plan to keep it beyond the manufacturer warranty then in my opinion you must get an extended warranty. I spent extra 3k for extended warranty and I don't regret it.

vntgspd 06-08-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mbmama (Post 4698884)
If you plan to keep it beyond the manufacturer warranty then in my opinion you must get an extended warranty. I spent extra 3k for extended warranty and I don't regret it.

Does that mean you have already accumulated $3K in repairs? Not trying to be rude, I'm just evaluating this warranty thing as well. I bought a GL with 25K miles last year and it now has 42K on it with no issues. My warranty expires in Dec so I'm evaluating whether to self-insure between now and then.

Thanks!

mbmama 06-10-2011 08:13 AM

No, I haven't made any warranty repairs yet and now i have 56k miles. But I have a piece of mind. Never know what comes next. Good luck with your vehicle

honda90 06-10-2011 11:19 AM

Lets face it, extended warranty is a crap shoot. If you buy it you will never need it, if you don't your repair bill will far exceed the warranty you should have bought. If you have the extra 3k then go for it and consider it a gamble. If you don't have the extra 3k then cross your fingers...I bought it because I live an 8hr drive to the nearest MB dealership so a breakdown will be costing 1000 without it being touched because of the tow bill, so one decent repair will be worth that warranty charge. I also plan on keeping this truck to the 160,000 kms...a first for me but I'm enjoying this vehicle and can't see why it would need to be traded off as it has everything. All this is Canada related, don't know about the US warranty version.

mbmama 06-10-2011 12:45 PM

It's personal choice, This is called INSURANCE and insurance mean assurance in future. If you think you will drive 160k miles and won't need a repair then don't buy it and good luck with it.
Today if I know i will live over 70 year, I will go ahead and cancel all my life insurance policies and save me couple hundred dollars a month but i don't play gamble.

EmilyMB 06-10-2011 01:30 PM

Yes, if you worry about air_matic system.

My wife bought GL450 @35K miles on May 2010 and the car had all services at MB dealer.
Now the car is 49K miles: front suspension, front and rear airmatic replaced, main rear seal oil leak replaced, steering leak replaced, back door adjusted. I don't know what will be next...
but lucky that the car comes with 2years/100K mile extended warranty.

nsx78 06-12-2011 01:08 PM

I think it is prudent to have an extended warranty. As others stated, it is a price you pay for peace of mind. Some people will come out ahead while others just sleep a little better. To me, the more options you have, the more likely some electronic item can go wrong. I would lean strongly towards getting extended warranty if you had a well optioned car.

It is important to differentiate the 2 mercedes extended warranty products. The CPO warranty that comes with the purchase of a used certified mercedes from the dealer is not as extensive in coverage as the Mercedes extended limited warranty(ELW) that one purchases prior to the expiration of the 4 year/50,000ml factory warranty. The ELW is an exclusionary coverage, which is more extensive than non-exclusionary such as the CPO coverage(at least on paper.)

Here are my top reasons to get the Mercedes ELW:

1. Peace of mind
2. More likely to fix any issue(big or small) if you know Mercedes is paying it.
3. If you purchased a used car, you have no idea how prior owners treated the car.
4. Resale value of vehicle with extended warranty is much stronger
5. Last but not least ** on my Mercedes ELW contract (in writing) - I am entitled to a pro-rated return of the purchase price on any unused portion of the warranty. Should I decide to sell my vehicle a year into my extended warranty, I can request a pro-rated refund for the remainder. My understanding is that this only applies to the ELW not the CPO warranty.

Given the above, the choice was clear for me. For those in agreement with me, let me help you further by recommending who to purchase from. This is from many hours of research and price shopping. A few years ago, the best price for factory extended warranty was from Lisa(forgot which dealership). Unfortunately, she is no longer in the industry. In the last couple of years, the most aggressive with pricing has been Tim Sorrick, who I purchased my warranty from. I have nothing but good things to say about him, hence the plug, no affiliation. Great Price along with excellent service. Below is his contact info to help you guys save time and money. It is not necessary to purchase the warranty from your dealer as the contract is tied to your vin number. :y

Contact Info:

Tim Sorrick
Finance Manager
Modesto European
3900 McHenry Ave
Modesto, CA 95356
209-522-8100
209-550-8225 Direct Line

mbmama 06-13-2011 02:09 PM

Posting someone's thread for the opponents of the extended warranty

"GL550 steering problems I have 2008 GL550 i got it brand new back in 08. now i have 77000ml on it all highway miles.
it was flawless till end of the warranty and problems started at 65000ml right after I put new breaks and tires on the beast. that cost me $4000.
so at 65000ml i noticed strange sound while turning steering wheel while parked and at the service dealer inspected GL and stated that steering column has a leak and has to be replaced that would cost me $2999. i drove to other dealer for 2nd opinion and same diagnoses and similar price. i had no choice and decided to fix the problem, so steering column was replaced. good think i have good relationship with my dealer and they give me 20% brake on parts but still too $$$. now at 76000ml my steering fail to work completely while parked so turnout power steering pump went out. and price to fix it $1200.
I had no choice and fixed it as well... now i start noticing whining noise coming from transmission while shifting from 2 to 3rd and command system joystick works every 3rd time while inputing address or adjusting any settings. it looks like i have to open my wallet again. too bad i loved this truck it is nice and comfy but looks like it start coming apart ones over 50000ml. im just keeping my finger crossed that airmatic suspension stays in tact or it will be the major $$$ another $6000. too bad i didnt get extended warranty when i was buying it, but i had another MBZ for much longer and had no problems. may be its just me so unlucky, does anyone have similar problems with theirs GL's? according to my service adviser its a common problem with GL being very have truck so it will take it tall on steering, suspension, brakes and tires.
so after 3 years 77000ml of pampering ownership not counting in cost of service at MB dealer i already pumped in this car $4200 not counting $4000 for brakes and tires.
its time to sell or trade my GL550 that i love."

Becks Imports 06-13-2011 03:06 PM

I sell extended warranties so I am biased. If you'd like a quote, feel free to email me directly at brucem105@comcast.net with your VIN# and current odometer reading.

I can tell you that the GL is not very reliable as the miles go up, and is very expensive to repair. If you plan on keeping it a long time, a good warranty, from a good company, is a pretty reasonable gamble. Especially since it has airmatic, in which a couple of problems over time, with NO OTHER FAILURES EXCEPT THE AIRMATIC SYSTEM, can pay for the warranty cost all by itself! I see it all the time with my 600-series cars I have under warranty.

The GL falls into the highest risk category of the warranty rating system, called E6. Even the CL is an E5, which I find hard to believe but they know how to rate risk.

Bruce

nsx78 06-13-2011 08:52 PM

Who would have thought the GL was rated in the highest risk category? So does ML, R, or the amg cars fall in E6?

Becks Imports 06-13-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by nsx78 (Post 4716258)
Who would have thought the GL was rated in the highest risk category? So does ML, R, or the amg cars fall in E6?

ML 2002 or earlier is E6, 2003 and later is E4. R-class is E4 except for R320CDI and R63 which are E6.

AMG cars vary from E3 to E6. C55 is E4, some are E5, some E6, and some they won't cover at all (CL/S600, CL/S65, SL600/SL65, SLS, etc).

Bruce

tmasood 05-05-2014 02:31 PM

I had an Airmatic suspension failure, other noises from lower control arms and the instrument cluster acting up on my 2010 GL450. With my Mercedes Extended Limited warranty, everything was covered and I paid 0 out of pocket. Would have been $3k otherwise. My investment in ELW is almost recovered in one trip! It is worth the price of admission to enjoy this fine automobile.