MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   Air suspension question (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/444210-air-suspension-question.html)

dchou4u 04-19-2012 06:50 PM

Air suspension question

Hi I have a 2008 GL450. I noticed that when I drive into my garage and turn off the car, the air suspension would sometimes lower the car. And sometimes when I open the rear hatch door with the car off, the air suspension will raise the car.
Is this all normal?

dgiturbo 04-19-2012 08:05 PM

Yuup. And you will also hear a hissing sound sometimes when you un/lock and open or close a door.
Scares stray cats.:naughty:

BlownV8 04-19-2012 10:45 PM

The only time I noticed my GL had lowered while parked was when a strut was going south. The woosh of air is very common though.

aggst1 04-20-2012 11:38 AM

Another thing I have noticed is the following: After I have pulled in my garage and shut the motor off, I am positive that everything is off and the keys are not in the car. I go back to the car later (even some time later) and I hear a fan noise from the motor area but it isn't the radiator fan. Looking in the car I see that the REST button is on even though I m positive I never pressed it. My dealer mech said it is normal as the system senses vapors inside the air ducts of the heating/air cond system and kicks the fan on to dry them to avoid mold buildup. Opening the passenger door causes it to switch off Havent tried with the drivers door. This happened happened to me only on occasion and I have noticed it happens on humid days that I have not used the AC which makes sense. Interesting!

IDriveAnM5 04-20-2012 03:58 PM

If it makes any difference, my S550V4 (with airmatic, of course) makes suspension noises like ALL the time, and it's a 2010 with 24k miles on it. I'll be out in the garage detailing my M5, and the Mercedes is chattering away. It's not loud, but it's there and you notice it if everything else is quiet. It's nothing to worry about...

rayzrocket 10-03-2012 12:51 AM

i just bought a 2008 gl320cdi for the wife...this thing makes all kinds of noises when unlocking and locking it up...it stretch hes and yawns like a sea-lion..
the rear sits down after being parked with a full tank of fuel in a few minutes ... but rises right back up when unlocked...its like a lazy camel...

rayzrocket 10-03-2012 12:56 AM

has anyone modified the air suspension to allow for manual lowering control at highway speed...i think this would help gas mileage..(.it would be neat to get 700 miles from a full tank...)

Innocent_Stud 10-03-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 5157369)
The only time I noticed my GL had lowered while parked was when a strut was going south. The woosh of air is very common though.

Just what I was going to say.

alx 10-03-2012 09:35 PM

The gl airmatic should not lose height even after parked for couple weeks.

If it does you have a leak in the system.

The whoosh when unloading/ getting out of the truck is normal as the system is trying to maintain certain height and when it becomes lighter it raises prompting the system to let air out to go back to specified height.

nicktampa 06-26-2013 03:31 PM

My 2008 gl320 cdi is speratic. When driving all is normal and the truck will manually raise and lower. When I park the truck and turn it off it will sometimes stay at the normal height. It will sometimes lower the right front only. It will sometimes lower both from wheels. It will sometimes lower all four wheels. But when the truck is unlock it will always adjust to normal driving level and lower when at highway speeds. All seems to work fine when running or open. But, turn it off and lock it for a few hours and it is possessed. I have sprayed soapy water on the front shocks to look for air bubbles for leakage and there are no leaks. I have never had any errors for the airmatic system dispaly. Any ideas? Thanks, Nick

alx 06-26-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by nicktampa (Post 5693546)
My 2008 gl320 cdi is speratic. When driving all is normal and the truck will manually raise and lower. When I park the truck and turn it off it will sometimes stay at the normal height. It will sometimes lower the right front only. It will sometimes lower both from wheels. It will sometimes lower all four wheels. But when the truck is unlock it will always adjust to normal driving level and lower when at highway speeds. All seems to work fine when running or open. But, turn it off and lock it for a few hours and it is possessed. I have sprayed soapy water on the front shocks to look for air bubbles for leakage and there are no leaks. I have never had any errors for the airmatic system dispaly. Any ideas? Thanks, Nick

Your valve block is going bad. This will affect compressor running times which will result in premature compressor failure.

nicktampa 06-26-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks

a2j 07-01-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rayzrocket (Post 5379649)
has anyone modified the air suspension to allow for manual lowering control at highway speed...i think this would help gas mileage..(.it would be neat to get 700 miles from a full tank...)

You don't have to lower it to get 700mi. Our highway trips are usually over 700mi per tank.

xxGenericSNxx 07-01-2013 02:11 PM

Air suspension already lowers marginally at highway speeds.