GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Did my own AdBlue on 2010 GL350 for <$50 - Photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
I give up this forum is such a joke all there are are shade tree mechanics that think they know everthing in the world and bark at people whom are just trying to help... Did I design the car NO .... Am I responsible for problems, defects, break downs. NO am I just tring to share infor that I took the time to learn and test and figure out myself
And pass some knowledge to others yes but evertime
You do it here joe schmoe whom change his light bulb
In his drive way knows more or knows why your wrong

I see every day why olord left this place and for the decent
90% of the members I apologies .. Leson learned
I don't think anyone has an issue with you. I don't see where anyone attacked or blamed you for anything. You are just the messenger. What we have an issue with is being asked to pay $250 or more for a procedure that involves less than 15 minutes of labor and uses probably one of the cheapest supplies in your shop. We feel like we are getting ripped off and this forum is a place for us to hear both sides of the issue. Thank you for sharing the MB technician's perspective.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
I just did my first AdBlue fill. The 2011 GL350 has almost 9,000 miles since the Service A, and the "18 starts left" warning came on today. So I went to Advanced Auto and picked up two 2.5 gallon bottles of Peak DEF for $25 and a nice long funnel. The funnel made the process real easy - I didn't spill a drop. Since I wasn't sure exactly how much fluid the tank would take, I just listened to the sound of the fluid flowing into the tank and could tell when it when it was full. It took almost 5 gallons. Here's a pic of my setup:

P.S. - the job took me about 15-20 minutes. I just looked at my receipt from Service A, and the dealer charged me for 1 hour of labor at $125! He also charged $115.60 for 10 bottles of AdBlue (I'm assuming those were 1/2 gallon bottles). So 15 minutes worth of work saved me over $200. It was a good lesson I taught my son (who helped) about saving money and not being a sucker.

Last edited by FastMoneyPlaya; 07-31-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
Here's a good article on AdBlue I found with some very interesting points: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ml350-bluetec/

BMW, for its part, gives its diesel owners free urea fill-ups under its four-year, 50,000-mile scheduled service plan. Volkswagen covers refills for three years and 36,000 miles. For BMW, the plan would pay for four annual fill-ups. In contrast, a Mercedes dealer’s four premium pours would pluck roughly $900 to $1,200 from an owner’s pocket.
The coughing you hear has nothing to do with airborne smog.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Yesterday, a friend of mine took his 2013 Ford F-350 to a truck stop for the first time to refill his Adblue tank. He put his credit card in a pump marked DEF and pumped just over 5 gallons of Adblue into his truck in less than 2 minutes for a grand total of $12.95. No sensors to worry about resetting, no special containers, just a regular pump that shut off when the Adblue tank was full.

Mercedes had better get their act together if they want people to drive their diesels.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Sti
Always ask what your service will cost before the dealer proceeds. If you ask to fill the tank, and they say $300. That is your choice to accept, or negotiate it. Filling the tank myself, makes sense to me. $50 for parts and fluid, and 15 minutes. I'm no shady tree mechanic. I like a nice bright work area.

My headlight wasn't working on my MDX. took it in for service. 16 months old, on a three year warranty. Light bulbs are covered as a 12 month warranty. the ZENON bulb was $495.oo (four hundred and ninety five dollars plus tax)and labor was 6 hours, as they had to drop the front clip, it is an un-serviceable item, designed to last the life of the car. How happy was I? After many phone calls, and $%&#@ing. Honda gave me the bulb and the dealer charged e 3 hours. Fairer, but still bitter.

I would be ecstatic if MB filled the tanks for free, or for a more reasonable charge. Don't have my MB yet, but will be visiting WALMART when it comes time. I pump my own fuel too. steve