One of my keyless Go keys stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
One of my keyless Go keys stopped working

Hi,

I have a 2008 GL450 and one of my keys stopped working all of the sudden. The only thing I remember is that it dropped from my pocket to my sofa and then when looking for it, it dropped to the floor. It worked the next day just fine and then the following morning just couldn't open the doors or start the car. I also tried removing the Keyless Go from the ignition and hooked it directly there but it doesn't work at all anymore.

One thing I remember that might of have caused some sort of problem with the electronics is that I got one of those Bluetooth receivers, so I could listen to my podcasts from my phone but it never worked and ended up returning it. It would pair just fine but no sound in the stereo system. Also it would display an Error message on the dash when selecting the AUX. I know this is unrelated but that's the only thing I remember I did the previous night before the key wouldn't work the next morning.

So right now I am using my wife's key and I already called the dealer and it costs $250 to order a new key which they can pair to the car.

Does anybody know what happen to my key, would the electronics just give up all of the sudden, would the drop caused a circuit damage, if so, why would it work for a day after that?

Is there a way to try to reprogram the key myself?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by giulianoMX; 05-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 AMG E53 Coupe
Don't think you can (re)program yourself..... are you sure its not as simple as a battery??? You may be well advised to have the service tech check it out for you.... my 2011 GL did same recently - it was a $6 battery fix.... Good luck!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Hi docskippy,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I try the obvious which is replacing the batteries for new ones. I even switch the battery casing from the key that works into the one that doesn't and the problem persists. Usually when the battery is going bad there will be a message on the dashboard about it.

Thank you.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 AM
EWT

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
One of mine died for no apparent reason when I was on a bike ride 40 miles from home about a year ago. Murphy is pretty good about picking places for parts to fail. The service writer at the dealer said they usually fail from getting wet, but mine was in a dry bag under my saddle the entire ride.

$250 isn't that bad for a key. We lost a key/remote from a Toyota, and the dealer wanted $500+ to replace and program both. I was able to get the remote off eBay and program it myself, but had to bite the bullet and pay for the key and programming from the dealer.