Airmatic Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
Question Airmatic Questions

Hi All,

Im a long time lurker on this forum and have found many useful tips for repairing my 2008 GL450.

However, i havent seem to come across a direct answer for this question, so if it's been asked already I'm sorry.

I've recently replaced nearly the entire Airmatic suspension. First I did the front air bags (using Arnott) and a couple of weeks later ended up having to replace the rear bags as well (again with Arnott). Everything seemed fine for about a month, until i noticed one morning the compressor was making a real loud noise. I'm not sure how long it had been going on since i usually have kids and music going in the truck and can't hear much. i suspect it had been loud for a while.

In any case, I figured maybe since it had to keep filling for the busted airbags and had maybe burnt up a bit and was now just being loud. I ordered the new compressor a couple of days ago and just installed it. It now sounds much better, i can barely hear the compressor when it turns on and the air bags inflate properly.

Now, on to the question. How often should the compressor turn on? I noticed when it was being loud (since it was easy to hear) that once I got up to 25MPH it would turn on, and when i slowed back down to a stop it would turn off. If i could manage to hit a straight enough road with no stops, when it turned on it would turn on for about 30 seconds or so and turn itself off. but then i would notice that it would occasionally turn on and back off as I drove.

I don't want to risk burning out another compressor and waste another $400 and want to make sure what "normal" operation is. I can imagine turning on and off while driving might be normal to make sure there's enough pressure in the bags, but how much is too much. And now that I can't really hear the compressor running while i drive is there a way to determine if it is turning on while I drive so i can monitor how often this is happening?

Thanks for all of you whose tips I've borrowed in the past and thanks to any and all who read this post. i really appreciate it.

-Tyler