GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

LED Interior lights, Newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL450
LED Interior lights, Newbie question

Hello all, just took delivery of my slightly used 2012 GL450 today and being the modder geek that I am, the first thing I would like to do is swap out all the interior light bulbs for LED's. The overhead console with the lights in it does not appear to have removable light covers like I had hoped. I found one page that lists instructions to remove the whole console, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Is there another way to get to the lights?

Link I found: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eu..._ohc_panel.pdf

Thanks in advance for the help.....
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
Smile

I can't see how else to change them without removing the entire console, unfortunately.

Have you already gotten the bulbs? This is actually on my list of things to do as well. If you've already made a list of the types of bulbs needed it would be great if you could share here and save me the effort
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM

2012 GL 350
Actually, just found this. Should mostly be the same:

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL450
thanks for the video link, if I try it, i'll make sure not to cut my finger like the guy in the video. I have not got the bulbs yet, still researching if there are any that will work without throwing CAN error's. Never had to deal with this issue with my other vehicles (Volt & Accord). The bulbs are 6418 festoons and the markers and backup bulbs are 194 style from what I have researched. I'm thinking of buying one from superbright to see how it goes before shelling out for more. I have not read of anyone having error messages from the interior bulbs, but definitely from the license plate lights and marker lights.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM

2012 GL 350
Check www.ddmtuning.com as well; I've had good luck with them in the past for BMW's. I need to do an oil service on the GL this weekend and I'll try to do a count on the bulbs and put in an order.

Originally Posted by darkster
thanks for the video link, if I try it, i'll make sure not to cut my finger like the guy in the video. I have not got the bulbs yet, still researching if there are any that will work without throwing CAN error's. Never had to deal with this issue with my other vehicles (Volt & Accord). The bulbs are 6418 festoons and the markers and backup bulbs are 194 style from what I have researched. I'm thinking of buying one from superbright to see how it goes before shelling out for more. I have not read of anyone having error messages from the interior bulbs, but definitely from the license plate lights and marker lights.