GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Intermittent door unlock problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Intermittent door unlock problem

I could use a little assistance with a door unlock issue on the wife's 2010 GL550. The front passenger door doesn't unlock when using the key fob and/or the interior lock/unlock button...intermittently. If you pull the interior door handle, it unlocks just fine. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical issue (nothing is "sticking" and/or binding).

This morning I removed the door panel (thanks to the information listed in another thread), but hit a dead-end. Once the door panel comes off, there is an aluminum plate screwed to the door frame. All the screws come off easily enough, but many of the mechanisms run through the plate. Plus (I think) the window track is attached to this piece too.

I assume the lock actuator needs to be removed/replaced, but how do I get access to it without taking EVERYTHING apart?

Anyone else have a similar issue? If so, any DIY guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM

GL550

This isn't a picture of my SUV, but is an accurate picture of what I am facing:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2010GL550

This isn't a picture of my SUV, but is an accurate picture of what I am facing:
Well the black box on the Right is the actuator for the door lock. You know this by the cable that runs from it almost directly to the lock. That would be where i start looking. There may be a wire issue with that black box?

I would confirm this by removing the LH black grommet (i am assuming they are rubber), this will allow you to confirm my suspicion.

If it is the control box, Unless you are a bit of an electrician, i would go ahead and replace it to see if that solves your problem. I have a feeling that box also has to do with the main switch bank for the windows as well...ect. But if that is the door that is having unlock issues i would start there.

Does the cable that runs from that black box have a wire insulated by plastic that is mechanically linked? Ie. not a electric wire but a mechanical pull cord? If so then the linkage that is to the door lock may be fine, just the servo inside of the control box?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 AM

GL550
LOL, for some strange reason it has been working perfectly for the last week or so. Perhaps it's due to the warmer weather...who knows.

Until it fails again, I am not going to mess with it.