Transmission issues (no warning lights)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
Transmission issues (no warning lights)

Hi,

I purchased a 07 GL450 4matic late January and frankly it's been a 'mare since I've had it despite being well looked after and only 70k on the clock.

I've had problems such as faulty alternator, clock won't set, drivers door unlocks with two swift pulls of the handle, etc however these didn't bother me too much but a new issue does..

I noticed when coming off the fwy (been in cruise) when I'd had it a week that when I took it out of cruise it had no power, wouldn't respond to accelerator, tried paddles, nothing. Turned it off and back on, seemed fine.

So, 6 weeks later I noticed it lost power again, this time just usual city driving. Again turned off back on, fine.... For a few blocks. Pulled up didn't turn off but put in park and then back to drive. The transmission made a loud engaging bang and it drove but didn't seem to want to shift (stayed in first.) turned off and back on and it was fine again.

This has now happened a few times..

Anyone else had this issue and any idea what it could be?

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Your issue is a well known one. Your conductor plate or valve body in the tranny is on its way out. The failures you describe will happen progressively more often and eventually restarting the car will not fix it.

The repair is usually dealer- only as it requires specialized equipment to code the new part to the truck's identity

Please search the forum for more detail.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 E55, 00 S500, 01 CLK55, 01 E320, 04 E320
Might be torque converter as well. Torque converter might be rebuilted, conductor plate might be replaced by merc indy mechanic, but valve body is sold and installed only by dealer. I heard story when dealer wont even sell and install valve body, they offer only whole tranny replacement.

Just a stupid guess. Why wont you check the tranny fluid level first?