MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   10' GL450 coin tray wont stay close (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/578672-10-gl450-coin-tray-wont-stay-close.html)

Cali_ML 03-19-2015 05:22 PM

10' GL450 coin tray wont stay close

2020 GL450.

The "Coin" Tray above the ash try in the center console wont stay close most of the time. If I go over a bump the tray would automatically open.

I removed the ash tray completely hoping to gain access to remove the coin tray but didn't see anything. Anyone have the same issue or know how to remove the coin tray?

appreciate any help inadvance. :D

CBR Dude 03-20-2015 02:54 PM

Query you tube for removing the Command radio. It shows how to remove that entire piece below the radio. I've done mine! super easy! Held in with clips and two torx screws. Screws are at the bottom on each side of the ash tray.

Be careful not to force the panel and break it!

islandbeef 03-20-2015 03:18 PM

Cali_ML 03-21-2015 07:43 PM

Thanks!!

CBR Dude 03-23-2015 08:50 AM

I would not use the plastic pry tool the video is showing. Way too much damage to be done to the soft dash and console material.

Open the ash try and there are two torx screws on either side. Once the screws are removed pull the ash try out, there is ample room to get your fingers under the lip of the panel and pull out.

If you are able to get your fingers under the lip you may not have to take the ash tray portion out. It just makes more room for the fat fingers.

To replace the panel reverse the process.

Remember it's plastic and faux wood so it will crack if forced.

bha 03-24-2015 03:52 PM

What are you guys doing to repair these? I know how to remove it but dont' want to just go out and buy a new one (I'm sure they are expensive!)

Mine pops out over hard bumps also.

Is it a simple remove, clean mechanism/spring, regrease, reinstall? Or is there some kind of latch or part that breaks/wears down?

If it's a clean/regrease and reinstall, I don't mind taking it apart. If I'm only going to find that I need a new one (ie. non-repairable) I'd rather order a new part...

CBR Dude 03-25-2015 04:38 PM

I've only got 23K on my ODO, so I've not experienced the drawer with a mind of it's own. My 2011 450 had 57K and no issues.

Both use the same set up. you may want to try a recycling yard for the part if cost from a dealer is prohibitive? Or try eBay too.

angelglo 04-05-2016 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
the storage drawer on my 07 gl450 also broke. Not only did it open very fast but it would not stay closed. It is actually a fairly simple fix if you haven't lost the small spring gear.

take apart your faux would paneling. You don't have to remove the ashtray. Just pry from under and on the sides slowly as in the video. You wont have to take apart any wires for the comfort zones. pull the drawer completely out. Hopefully if you have the fast opening problem, The spring is still nearby and did not fall behind the center dash. You can see the spring in the pictures that are attached. it is a gear with an internal spring. All you have to do is epoxy it back to where it broke off from. Do this carefully as you do not want to epoxy the gear for obvious reasons. the attached picture is of the drawer upside down. The long linear gear is what helps it slowly open and close. The circular thing above that linear gear is the gear spring.

To fix the drawer from prematurely opening, you need some tension an the closure mechanism. To fix this, I took the metal bracket from a hanging file folder and cute it to size. I epoxied it to the bottom of the drawer. You can see it in the pictures. make sure you file/sand down the metal piece and the plastic underside of the drawer to you will adhere properly. In the pictures, the square plastic piece is the catch to keep the drawer closed. I'm assuming it looses its tension on the drawer so it does not hold it properly. I then got a piece of corrugated cardboard and folded it in half to add tension. It has now worded like a charm. It is a fairly simple and quick fix and does not require you to spend $100.00 for another one that will not match your wood grain in your car.

angelglo 04-06-2016 12:04 AM

sorry for the misspellings. I did not proof read it But I wood have :)

1xsculler 05-15-2016 07:27 PM

My coin tray snaps open when I go over a bump too. It's very annoying.

Thanks for the fixing tips.

These $60k+ GL450s are garbage, i.e. over-designed, under-built, poorly sorted out, lousy front diffs, right front axles and trannys plus there is no car/SUV that depreciates faster. I'm glad I bought mine used with 100k on it for a reasonable price otherwise I would never own one without an iron clad warranty which you can only buy when they have, what, about 50k on them and then the warranty is very expensive or it doesn't cover much.

Oh well, a very, very expensive vehicle to own and it just doesn't have that much going for it. Bought my wife's ML350 with 30k on the clock (70k now) and I'm just waiting for another major repair after dropping $2.5k into the tranny valve body.

I will say the brakes on both cars do seem to last almost forever, though. Almost as good as on my last car, a 2002 Escalade, which I put over 200k on with absolutly zero problems.

islandbeef 05-16-2016 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1xsculler (Post 6803418)
My coin tray snaps open when I go over a bump too. It's very annoying.

Thanks for the fixing tips.

These $60k+ GL450s are garbage, i.e. over-designed, under-built, poorly sorted out, lousy front diffs, right front axles and trannys plus there is no car/SUV that depreciates faster. I'm glad I bought mine used with 100k on it for a reasonable price otherwise I would never own one without an iron clad warranty which you can only buy when they have, what, about 50k on them and then the warranty is very expensive or it doesn't cover much.

Oh well, a very, very expensive vehicle to own and it just doesn't have that much going for it. Bought my wife's ML350 with 30k on the clock (70k now) and I'm just waiting for another major repair after dropping $2.5k into the tranny valve body.

I will say the brakes on both cars do seem to last almost forever, though. Almost as good as on my last car, a 2002 Escalade, which I put over 200k on with absolutly zero problems.

Oh, we hear you loud and clear. I think we all knew what we were getting into when we bought these things.

It's just that we like to impress our friends and family by driving a Mercedes SUV, that's all. :)

EggEgg 08-06-2017 05:20 PM

Thx for the directions! Yes you can just open the ashtray and pop out the console face. I didn't have any epoxy, instead I just used a small zip tie and card stock to provide some tension.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c0039dce4f.jpg

NaijaBerry 08-08-2018 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by EggEgg (Post 7231566)
Thx for the directions! Yes you can just open the ashtray and pop out the console face. I didn't have any epoxy, instead I just used a small zip tie and card stock to provide some tension.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c0039dce4f.jpg

I found this zip tie method to be quicker and easier to do, did this yesterday and works perfectly! Thanks!

Ron.s 09-14-2018 08:26 PM

MBUX isn’t Google or Siri.... but Sounhound!

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/14/me...ice-assistant/

infinite95 11-18-2018 09:38 PM

sorry mistake

Ron.s 11-18-2018 09:58 PM

You posted this in the wrong thread like I did a while ago. If you scroll down far enough you get to a related thread.

Rocketman 12-07-2018 10:28 AM

Delete

Ryan335 12-08-2018 07:08 PM

I ordered walnut trim yesterday and my dealer did not mention any issues with ordering my spec. I was quoted delivery late March or early April.

Ehcrawford 01-28-2019 03:41 PM

Coin drawer removal

Originally Posted by angelglo (Post 6762267)
the storage drawer on my 07 gl450 also broke. Not only did it open very fast but it would not stay closed. It is actually a fairly simple fix if you haven't lost the small spring gear.

take apart your faux would paneling. You don't have to remove the ashtray. Just pry from under and on the sides slowly as in the video. You wont have to take apart any wires for the comfort zones. pull the drawer completely out. Hopefully if you have the fast opening problem, The spring is still nearby and did not fall behind the center dash. You can see the spring in the pictures that are attached. it is a gear with an internal spring. All you have to do is epoxy it back to where it broke off from. Do this carefully as you do not want to epoxy the gear for obvious reasons. the attached picture is of the drawer upside down. The long linear gear is what helps it slowly open and close. The circular thing above that linear gear is the gear spring.

To fix the drawer from prematurely opening, you need some tension an the closure mechanism. To fix this, I took the metal bracket from a hanging file folder and cute it to size. I epoxied it to the bottom of the drawer. You can see it in the pictures. make sure you file/sand down the metal piece and the plastic underside of the drawer to you will adhere properly. In the pictures, the square plastic piece is the catch to keep the drawer closed. I'm assuming it looses its tension on the drawer so it does not hold it properly. I then got a piece of corrugated cardboard and folded it in half to add tension. It has now worded like a charm. It is a fairly simple and quick fix and does not require you to spend $100.00 for another one that will not match your wood grain in your car.

I have the panel and the ash tray out, but I cannot get the coin tray out. What is the trick?

Alex Bell 02-03-2019 08:59 AM

Hello people. I am new here and just decided to create an account to get some clarifications from you guys.

1. How are you ordering new GLE if it's not available yet? I see you are ordering through your dealers but I called my local dealer here in NY and the said it's not available yet and they don't know when it'll be available.
2. Any Info when it'll arrive at dealerships so I can check it out in person?

Thanks for the info

Ron.s 02-03-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Bell (Post 7671559)
Hello people. I am new here and just decided to create an account to get some clarifications from you guys.

1. How are you ordering new GLE if it's not available yet? I see you are ordering through your dealers but I called my local dealer here in NY and the said it's not available yet and they don't know when it'll be available.
2. Any Info when it'll arrive at dealerships so I can check it out in person?

Thanks for the info

They have been available for order for nearly 90 days. There is only prelim pricing so your order is based on a % of MSRP. Date not announced but probably abouta60 days out. Check the big thread in this forum for more details.

Alex Bell 02-03-2019 09:56 AM

Thank you, can you please share the link of "big thread"? I can't find it :(

Ron.s 02-03-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Bell (Post 7671588)

It’s only 85 pages....
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-v167-gle.html

Ron.s 02-03-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Bell (Post 7671588)

Here’s a more helpful link to the latest pricing spreadsheets that list most options and restrictions. It’s post 1945.
https://mbworld.org/forums/members/10128-gregw-oregon.html

thenew3 02-15-2019 09:32 PM

MBUSA partial specs

Not sure if anyone noticed this, in the above link they list the GLE450 as 19/24/21 MPG (City/HWY/Combined). A tad bit lower than I was expecting with the EQ boost supposed to help a little.
(X5 is 20/26/22, XC90 T6 19/26/22, Q7 V6 19/25/21)