Rear-ended 20-30 mph, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Rear-ended 20-30 mph, what to look for?

Hey all, no longer in my S55, now I am driving a 2009 GL550.

The GL550 got smacked pretty good in the passenger rear today, totalling the car that hit me and pushing me into car in front of me, crunching my bumper and grill. The alleged at-fault driver got a ride in an ambulance, fortunately was conscious and not bloodied, but dang she was in pain. Airbags deployed in her car, none in mine.

GL was towed after being deemed unsafe to drive due to crushed exhaust. Passenger side outlet was up against the read tire, and the pipe was kinked 90 degrees.

My rear bumper is shot for sure, as is at least half the exhaust. Probably lost a few sensors, too, as well as front cover and grille (son #1 has claimed the Star that ended up in the road). What about big stuff to worry about? Frame from a strong on-corner hit? Engine from having the exhaust jammed forward?

Already thinking about the diminished value.

Thanks for any feedback.

And boy am I glad I was not in my S55, for sooooo many reasons.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
If she was really going 30 MPH - you will probably end up with your GL totaled. I was hit like this in a Grand Cherokee - and had over $30k in repairs. And a $20,000 diminished value award. And a $10k rental reimbursement. But it took 18 months to get it done. The insurance company of the person who hit me ended up paying more than the cost of buying a brand-new truck - but only because I was very dilligent at every step - and they really tried to screw me.

If I knew then what I knew today...

Do not take it to a bodyshop affiliated with the person who hit you. Call the dealer and take it to the best body shop in your region - one that has experience in major collision damage with a GL.

The bodyshop will say they can fix it. Why wouldn't they - they will make a ton of money. But your GL will never be the same. The rear end is very likely tweaked if she was really going 30 - hard enough to knock your 6,000 pound vehicle into the car in front of you.

I would hire a diminished value expert right away. Before I authorized any repairs. Have them go over the vehicle while it is at the body shop and do a complete write up for you.

They will prepare a report for you that will include not just what the full cost of repair is to get the vehicle as close to "as it was" for you - but also the value of the vehicle after the repair. You are also entitled to rental costs of a similar vehicle - a luxury SUV - for the entire duration that the vehicle would be in the shop. This could be months.

Then present this whole package to the insurance company of the person who hit you. It's very likely going to add up to greater than the replacement cost of your GL.

If they say no- go hire an attorney - again before you authorize any repairs.

I wish I would have done this when I was in a very similar crash to yours. The insurance company will try to pay you as little as they can. Their job is not to make you whole. Your right is to have the exact same asset that you had when this woman hit you. It took me 18 months and a good lawyer to get whole.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
The GL is unibody instead of a frame.
If the rear corner got smacked that hard, it's probably curtains.
there is an awful lot of sheet metal to cut out and replace.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 PM

s55 AMG
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
Hey all, no longer in my S55, now I am driving a 2009 GL550.

The GL550 got smacked pretty good in the passenger rear today, totalling the car that hit me and pushing me into car in front of me, crunching my bumper and grill. The alleged at-fault driver got a ride in an ambulance, fortunately was conscious and not bloodied, but dang she was in pain. Airbags deployed in her car, none in mine.

GL was towed after being deemed unsafe to drive due to crushed exhaust. Passenger side outlet was up against the read tire, and the pipe was kinked 90 degrees.

My rear bumper is shot for sure, as is at least half the exhaust. Probably lost a few sensors, too, as well as front cover and grille (son #1 has claimed the Star that ended up in the road). What about big stuff to worry about? Frame from a strong on-corner hit? Engine from having the exhaust jammed forward?

Already thinking about the diminished value.

Thanks for any feedback.

And boy am I glad I was not in my S55, for sooooo many reasons.
I was thinking about getting a Gl 550 09' or 10' and I stumbled upon your thread concerning you missing your s55..... DAmm you!!!! I got side swiped by the gas tank area on the freeway; and hit guard rail just last friday in my S55(completely totalled) I'm already missing her.........
Attached Thumbnails Rear-ended 20-30 mph, what to look for?-20150327_160853.jpg  

Last edited by merc79; 04-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Grim news, the Reaper gets my truck.

Insurance company "has deemed the vehicle a total loss"

The bumper attaches to the (uni)body, and that *structural* area was damaged. Collision center (owned by Penske, which owns my two local MB dealerships) said it was "probably" repairable, but the current estimate was $14.5K, plus whatever the diminished value claim would have been.

I appreciate the advice given here, thanks.

Now, how do I go about getting refunded for my 2 extra years of CPO and the 5 year wheel package that I added on?

Yes, I know, the wheel package? Well, I've had 4x4s and I knew I would drive this like a truck, and was afraid of breaking a 21" AMG wheel
Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Merc79

just saw the picture. I wept. That's all that needs to be said.