Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 PM
lna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320CDI 2006; GL550 2008
Front diff fluid overflow?

Hi everyone,

This is another issue with my GL550. I found the under body metal plate was wet near to transfer case 2 years ago. I removed the plate and got it to a good car wash. However it got wet again soon. Specifically in summer after a long towing trip. I checked transmission and transfer case are all ok. Finally I discovered it is front differential fluid while I change diff fluid. The drained fluid is 0.6L less than spec. Last summer I put into 1.5L as required, after a towing trip there was a even bigger wet. It smelled exactly the diff fluid. I got under the truck checked it very carefully I believe it is coming down from the diff breather tube, which is right on the top of transfer case. Th tube itself is wet and so as the near part of diff case.

Question: What would cause the fluid over flow?

Is it ok I leave it as is and just regularly check and top it up?

I wonder if bring it to dealer they may want to open it up and charge tons of dollar.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
three things:

1. wrong fluid
2. overheating fluid (see #1)
3. too much fluid

why did you change the fluid in first place? those are filled for life and despite their color change do not need to be replaced
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM
lna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320CDI 2006; GL550 2008
The reason for diff fluid change was I suspected leak from front diff. So I was worrying these is no enough fluid inside. When it was drained it's 0.6L less than spec.

The fluid was bought from dealer, 85W90? not sure.

I'm wondering what harm this would do to the differential if it keeps running at low level.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by lna
The reason for diff fluid change was I suspected leak from front diff. So I was worrying these is no enough fluid inside. When it was drained it's 0.6L less than spec.

The fluid was bought from dealer, 85W90? not sure.

I'm wondering what harm this would do to the differential if it keeps running at low level.
diff oil level can be checked by removing the filler bolt and feeling for the fluid level inside. it should be up to the hole. you can use piece of wire bent suitably to feel the fluid level inside.

if your oil level is not where it needs to be eventually you will destroy the diff. towing makes things worse