GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 strange air suspension issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL 350, 1995 300D
Exclamation GL350 strange air suspension issue

Ok, so here's the deal. I've got a 2011 GL350 with 87000 on the odo. The left air spring was leaking, no biggie...I order the Arnott replacement with the intention of changing it out. Before I can get to it I am parked on a slope and the right air spring literally blows out. Truck goes flat in the rear. Ok, now I've got to do them right now LOL. Ordered the right side bag and replaced both with no issues. Went right it. Followed directions, lowered truck to ride height and started it. Left side inflated no problem, right side not so much. No air pressure at all. Nothing coming into the spring. Nothing at all. I am guessing that the level sensor on the right side might have been damaged or was faulty to begin with. Is that a possibility or is there something else I should be looking at? In other words why would the compressor send air to all three other springs except the right side. Any thoughts. I know, I know... Air suspension on a GL. Boring subject, but I'm a little stuck and could use some insight. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
The right hand side blew up because the bag was old and had all the weight of the back on it since the left one did not hold air. Common.

You are missing something. The air line is finicky and you might have cross- threaded it. Inspect carefully. Try to raise the truck to off-road level and check air connections. While at it check free movement of the levers for the height sensor. Check wiring to sensor- it might have been pinched.

Beyond that you need star/ das to actuate the rear right bag manually and verify operation as well as read the height sensor and confirm its plausibility

Last edited by alx; 07-01-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL 350, 1995 300D
Thanks for the reply ALX, Ive been away from home so I am just getting back to it. Still no pressure at all on the right rear line. Raised truck at the dash switch and everything else comes up just not the right rear. For laughs I changed out the level sensor. Didn't work. I read something about the valve block disabling a line when it blows and having to be "reset". Is that BS or am I onto something. Am I to assume that the only way to get this back on line is to break down and buy the STAR/DAS. If so, do you have a recommendation. I did read some of your posts regarding the Chinese clones and the problems they have had. Again thanks for your help. You keep a lot of MBs on the road with your knowledge.