GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Highway speed steering seems "loose"

Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Highway speed steering seems "loose"

I've noticed, since I got the truck in the Summer, that the steering "feel" at highway speeds seems to be a little loose. The vehicle seems to move around a bit and any small corrections I give tend to be exaggerated. I don't feel anything loose in the suspension - it just feels as if the steering wheel is too "light". It's not as "planted" as I would have expected it to be. Does anyone else notice this? Does this vehicle have speed sensitive steering? If it does, and wasn't working correctly, that would help to explain it. Meaning, it kind of feels like, at highway speeds, it's still working at the "low speed" setting. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. There are no codes.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 213 Posts
If your ride height is off camber and toe in will be off which results in wondering steering feel and no good on center feel.

Besides... It is a truck. Maybe you expect too much. Drive another one and see if the same as yours
Old 12-12-2015, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Driving another one is probably the best way to figure this out. One person's opinion of "feel" can be vastly different from another's... especially via a forum. I've driven lot's of cars and trucks (my main "truck" is a '98 Suburban 2500 diesel, which actually has a slightly better feel) and it does feel a little looser/lighter than anything else. As far as I can tell, ride height looks normal - or at least there's nothing obviously wrong.

But it's really more like the steering is just overly sensitive at highway speeds. But who knows, maybe that's exactly the way it was designed, too.

Thanks, Alx. It's certainly not a "pressing" issue so I'll just wait till can drive another one. Do you happen to know if the steering system was changed/altered in later model years (and when)? I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by DennisG01; 12-12-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan GTR R35
Originally Posted by DennisG01
Driving another one is probably the best way to figure this out. One person's opinion of "feel" can be vastly different from another's... especially via a forum. I've driven lot's of cars and trucks (my main "truck" is a '98 Suburban 2500 diesel, which actually has a slightly better feel) and it does feel a little looser/lighter than anything else. As far as I can tell, ride height looks normal - or at least there's nothing obviously wrong.

But it's really more like the steering is just overly sensitive at highway speeds. But who knows, maybe that's exactly the way it was designed, too.

Thanks, Alx. It's certainly not a "pressing" issue so I'll just wait till can drive another one. Do you happen to know if the steering system was changed/altered in later model years (and when)? I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

Hi,

Have you figured out whats causing the loose steering feel?

Regards

Fahad
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by fahadco80
Hi,

Have you figured out whats causing the loose steering feel?

Regards

Fahad
Fahad, I got new tires about a month after that post (the old tires were well worn and ready for replacement) and that took care of the problem.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan GTR R35
Originally Posted by DennisG01
Fahad, I got new tires about a month after that post (the old tires were well worn and ready for replacement) and that took care of the problem.
Hi Dennis,

I am having the same symptoms of yours but still figuring out what it is

Great to know you've solved it, good luck

Fahad
Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Fahad, I would "think" that a competent suspension shop should be able to verify if anything is loose/worn with the suspension. If you're comfortable with it, try jacking up and taking a real good look/feel around at bushings/etc. Look at the rear, too. Sometimes it's hard to physically verify these things by hand (not enough torque) until it get's worse... but sometimes you get lucky.