BlueTec Engine Oil Consumption & DPF Soot Accumulation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320

Hello everyone first time posting to MB World but have read post after post. I am looking for some help now cause I don't know what else to do.

I have a 2009 GL 320 that I bought in Jan. It has 162,000 miles and overall seems to be in very good shape. Until I started noticing it consuming around 2 Qts of oil every 500-600 miles. Around that same time I got a DPF soot accumulation light. I started looking into cause that oil might be contaminating the DPF. I have drove it for long trips on the highway trying to get a good regen, with the check engine lights on and cleared no difference.

I have done a full service b recently with all new filters and I noticed a little oil in the intake to the turbo. I noticed that it seemed like it was coming from the crankcase vent valve so I replaced it. After a week it has the same amount of oil in the intake with no change in consumption or DPF light. I also switched to 15w40 oil to help with the dilution and thinning.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 PM

GL 320
Sorry accidently submitted before I was ready.

Hello everyone first time posting to MB World but have read post after post. I am looking for some help now cause I don't know what else to do.

I have a 2009 GL 320 that I bought in Jan. It has 162,000 miles and overall seems to be in very good shape. Until I started noticing it consuming around 2 Qts of oil every 500-600 miles. Around that same time I got a DPF soot accumulation light. I started looking into cause that oil might be contaminating the DPF. I have drove it for long trips on the highway trying to get a good regen, with the check engine lights on and cleared no difference.

I have done a full service b recently with all new filters and I noticed a little oil in the intake to the turbo. I noticed that it seemed like it was coming from the crankcase vent valve so I replaced it. After a week it has the same amount of oil in the intake with no change in consumption or DPF light. I also switched to 15w40 oil to help with the dilution and thinning.

I have don't the test with the oil fill cap to see if I am getting excessive crank case pressure but it seems to be fine with pressure.

I am considering that the rings still maybe causing a majority of the consumption. any ideas you could throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

I know that I may have gotten taken by the used car salesman but overall I still really like the car. I can not afford to take it to the dealership. I have rebuilt many engines and turbo's but the diesel is new to me and it giving me a run for my money.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
2 quarts in 600 miles is a lot. At 160k miles the om642 engine is just broken in and should use about 1-2 quarts over 10k miles. Somebody skipped on maintainance on your truck.

I would check turbo seals and if good do a compression check on a few cylinders. It might be valve guides. Find a diesel place to do it for you as it is a bit tricky especially if you have no experience removing glow plugs. Piston rings are practically not a wear item on this engine so even if abused I find it hard to believe they are bad

Last edited by alx; 06-07-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
You may want to consider haveing the dpf removed and cleaned.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
Hey Op, see if turbo is seeping oil, here's a quick video

The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (05-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is one (messy) way of finding if turbo seals are shot. Alternatively you can grab the impeller shaft and check for play. There should be none.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI (RIP), 2012 GL350 Bluetec (Sold), 2015 VW Touareg TDI
Did you get this resolved? I have the same level of oil consumption.

What I've already looked at/tried:
1. Replaced the CCV Pressure regulator - no change - and I disassembled the old one and the diaphragm wasn't torn so it was probably good
2. New air filters - No change
3. Pulled the Turbo Exhaust Pipe - On inspection it was dry and no buildup. So Exhaust side of turbo doesn't seem to be leaking.

I hadn't thought about running it with the intake off to look for intake side leak. I'm guessing it will throw codes when the MAF sensors and filter pressure sensor read 0 and the engine is running but I can clear those. But in the video It's not clear if the oil is coming from the turbo or if it's coming from the CCV pipe (the orange pipe end to the left).
Old 05-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI, 2010 GL350 Bluetec, 2005 VW PASSAT TDI
People start these post and they resolve the issues but don't post the solutions or end results.
The following 2 users liked this post by abemiami:
Oddemann2 (01-10-2021), quron_southwest (07-26-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI (RIP), 2012 GL350 Bluetec (Sold), 2015 VW Touareg TDI
I never resolved it. Traded in the truck last fall.
StradaRedlands (05-07-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ml350 bluets
Good Morning, I am new to this Forum and also not mechanically inclined at all, I have driven Mercedes for appx 30 years. Currently I have a 2010 ML 350 Bluetec with 160k and

have been dealing with the oil consumption of 1-2 quarts every 500-600 miles also, Check engine light has been on and Dealer is telling me the DPF filter needs to be changed to the tune of $5200.00

Considering that the vehicle is not worth much more in value I find myself in a jam.......I love the truck and have had little issues any suggestions? solutions? it is worth fixing?

I have been searching for aftermarket or used parts to take the sting out but have had no luck Would appreciate some advice
Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tlh711
Good Morning, I am new to this Forum and also not mechanically inclined at all, I have driven Mercedes for appx 30 years. Currently I have a 2010 ML 350 Bluetec with 160k and

have been dealing with the oil consumption of 1-2 quarts every 500-600 miles also, Check engine light has been on and Dealer is telling me the DPF filter needs to be changed to the tune of $5200.00

Considering that the vehicle is not worth much more in value I find myself in a jam.......I love the truck and have had little issues any suggestions? solutions? it is worth fixing?

I have been searching for aftermarket or used parts to take the sting out but have had no luck Would appreciate some advice
if you are not mechanically inclined things are a bit tougher. you need to confirm your source of oil leak (most likely your turbo) and address it (rebuild turbo if it is the turbo). then you need to address the dpf side of things. you can either have it unclogged or replace with a used one, or replace with an aftermarket one or replace with new oem one.... i am not even going to suggest removing it altogether as this is an advanced scenario.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM

ml350 bluets
Thank you any tips on where to purchase used or Aftermarket DPF?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Well, you MUST use low ash motor oil meeting MB spec 229.51 (now 229.52). Don’t even add oil between changes that doesn’t meet the spec.

DPF filters are not lifetime components and require replacement at some point. Your 162k miles is great mileage.
lbupanda (01-27-2024)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Each time the dpf is mechanically cleaned it generally loses from 3 to 5% efficiency.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 AM

ml350 bluets
Quick update. Had my local independent Mercedes shop check the Turbo and it was dry and running fine. Still have oil consumption,

‘’next week we are going to try a forced regeneration of the DPF ....... I’ll keep updating as I progress

Last edited by tlh711; 07-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLE 350, 2013 GL 450
Quick update. Had my local independent Mercedes shop check the Turbo and it was dry and running fine. Still have oil consumption,

‘’next week we are going to try a forced regeneration of the DPF ....... I’ll keep updating as I progress
I will be curious as to what you find. I am having similar issues. Do you have any engine codes or DPF regen failures?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 PM

ml350 bluets
Ok here is the final solution, The vehicle started to lose torque and was playing in and out of limp mode, My local Mercedes mechanic took it to try to do a forced regeneration and while driving the DPF got so clogged the vehicle would not run.

I had the DPF replaced and the NOX sensors, Oxogen Sensors, Temp Sensors, and pressure lines Parts and labor ran me 6500.00 ( Ouch) but the truck runs fantastic now with 162k on it Hope it was the correct decision repairing it Hoping to get 250k out of it

Any thoughts? As I trust your opinions and value them
Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 PM

ml350 bluets
yes i had regen codes........ sorry I'm not to technically savvy
Old 07-23-2019, 01:30 PM

2009 GL320 Bluetech
Did replacing all these parts correct your high oil consumption?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 AM

ml350 bluets
It did not. I found out it was a compression issue. I was at the end of my rope. Traded it in. Bought a 2015 ml 350
Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
It did not. I found out it was a compression issue. I was at the end of my rope. Traded it in. Bought a 2015 ml 350
Had you replaced the turbo or no? Did you have a compression test done?
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM
MLF

GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
You may want to consider haveing the dpf removed and cleaned.
New to the forum but have been following this issue for a while. I also have been experiencing extremely high all consumption over the past several months on my 2011 GL350. I have a couple questions related to the DPF. Is it possible that a dirty/clogged DPF can in and of itself cause high oil consumption? Also, I have been told that a DPF can become damaged internally and if this happens can not be cleaned, it would have to be replaced. If this is true how does one determine damage?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MLF
New to the forum but have been following this issue for a while. I also have been experiencing extremely high all consumption over the past several months on my 2011 GL350. I have a couple questions related to the DPF. Is it possible that a dirty/clogged DPF can in and of itself cause high oil consumption? Also, I have been told that a DPF can become damaged internally and if this happens can not be cleaned, it would have to be replaced. If this is true how does one determine damage?
A clogged DPF can cause oil consumption by creating excessive pressure which damages the seals in your turbo. Oil that cools the turbo then leaks out into your intake, which in turn clogs your DPF more, which creates even more pressure, which causes your turbo to leak more....

It's a vicious circle. You also need to unclog the DPF before repairing the turbo, otherwise the high pressures will just blow the turbo seals again.

Blowby (which is also very common in these engines) is another likely culprit of oil consumption. Search blowby and turbo cartridge replacement on the forum and you can learn more.

There are various chemical cleaners that claim to help your DPF if clogged. None worked for me for more than a week. If you want to try and have it cleaned, plan to remove it from the vehicle and send it away to a pro. It will likely cost you upwards of $400-500 plus shipping both ways. If they can successfully clean it, it should be about 90% as good as a new DPF (though if you still have oil consumption plan for it to clog again very soon). If your oil consumption is due to blowby, there is not much you can do to prevent it. In most instances with a 100,000 plus mile engine in one of these, you will fight the DPF until you finally remove it, sell the vehicle, or completely rebuild the engine.

I spent hundreds if not thousands trying to limp along. I ended up doing the DPF delete. In all it cost me about a thousand bucks to do it. $700 for the delete pipes, $200 for ECU programmer, and $100 for a new turbo cartridge. About 5 hours to hack out the DPF and install the pipes. About 6 hours to change the turbo cartridge. About 2 weeks of reading to learn how to program the ECU. If you are not a do it yourselfer, plan to spend about twice that amount in labor and programming costs. If you are even somewhat handy you should be able to keep the cost around $1K.

If my experience is any help, don't get your hopes up on a cheaper or easier fix. You will end up like me spending tons of money $50-$100 at a time with no results. I did limp mine along for 6 months, but I wish I had spent the $1000 right away.

I am getting 15-20% better gas mileage, more power, and no more frustrations with DPF related problems. There is a bit of smoke now when I accelerate hard, and a diesel odor (only noticeable if I stand outside the car while it idles), but these issies are acceptable to me.

If you want to keep it emissions compliant, you will need to replace the DPF at a cost of about $2500-$3000 just for the filter itself. You will also need MB Star tools to adapt the new filter (or pay a mechanic to do it). You could buy a used DPF for less, but unless it comes from an extremely low mile engine expect it not to last long (especially with your oil consumption).

PM me of you want specific info or help with the DPF delete route. I can probably save you some time and money.

It sucks, but many have done the delete and are very happy with it. I am, and if I can get another 100,000 miles out of my truck it will be well worth it. It is still a beautiful Mercedes that I love to drive.

Last edited by ccrobin; 09-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ccrobin:
EZsputnik (06-10-2023), Koziol (06-21-2020)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:47 AM
MLF

GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ccrobin
A clogged DPF can cause oil consumption by creating excessive pressure which damages the seals in your turbo. Oil that cools the turbo then leaks out into your intake, which in turn clogs your DPF more, which creates even more pressure, which causes your turbo to leak more....

It's a vicious circle. You also need to unclog the DPF before repairing the turbo, otherwise the high pressures will just blow the turbo seals again.

Blowby (which is also very common in these engines) is another likely culprit of oil consumption. Search blowby and turbo cartridge replacement on the forum and you can learn more.

There are various chemical cleaners that claim to help your DPF if clogged. None worked for me for more than a week. If you want to try and have it cleaned, plan to remove it from the vehicle and send it away to a pro. It will likely cost you upwards of $400-500 plus shipping both ways. If they can successfully clean it, it should be about 90% as good as a new DPF (though if you still have oil consumption plan for it to clog again very soon). If your oil consumption is due to blowby, there is not much you can do to prevent it. In most instances with a 100,000 plus mile engine in one of these, you will fight the DPF until you finally remove it, sell the vehicle, or completely rebuild the engine.

I spent hundreds if not thousands trying to limp along. I ended up doing the DPF delete. In all it cost me about a thousand bucks to do it. $700 for the delete pipes, $200 for ECU programmer, and $100 for a new turbo cartridge. About 5 hours to hack out the DPF and install the pipes. About 6 hours to change the turbo cartridge. About 2 weeks of reading to learn how to program the ECU. If you are not a do it yourselfer, plan to spend about twice that amount in labor and programming costs. If you are even somewhat handy you should be able to keep the cost around $1K.

If my experience is any help, don't get your hopes up on a cheaper or easier fix. You will end up like me spending tons of money $50-$100 at a time with no results. I did limp mine along for 6 months, but I wish I had spent the $1000 right away.

I am getting 15-20% better gas mileage, more power, and no more frustrations with DPF related problems. There is a bit of smoke now when I accelerate hard, and a diesel odor (only noticeable if I stand outside the car while it idles), but these issies are acceptable to me.

If you want to keep it emissions compliant, you will need to replace the DPF at a cost of about $2500-$3000 just for the filter itself. You will also need MB Star tools to adapt the new filter (or pay a mechanic to do it). You could buy a used DPF for less, but unless it comes from an extremely low mile engine expect it not to last long (especially with your oil consumption).

PM me of you want specific info or help with the DPF delete route. I can probably save you some time and money.

It sucks, but many have done the delete and are very happy with it. I am, and if I can get another 100,000 miles out of my truck it will be well worth it. It is still a beautiful Mercedes that I love to drive.
Thanks for your reply. Not trying to be difficult but what causes a DPF to clog to begin with? Something has to start that cycle you refer to. The vehicle starts out brand new with everything functioning properly with clean DPF. What causes it to clog over time? I’m trying to go somewhere with my questions. Is it initially the high oil consumption that causes the clogging of the filter or is it the clogging of the filter that causes the high consumption? I guess another way to ask my question is could installing a new filter by itself eliminate the high consumption?
EZsputnik (06-10-2023)
Old 09-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MLF
I guess another way to ask my question is could installing a new filter by itself eliminate the high consumption?
The filter collects soot particles' and when it gets full it performs a regeberation, which attampts to convert all the soot to ash. It never converts 100% so it slowly gets less efficient with time. Oil, sludge, and other stuff passing through the exhaust also clog it. On a passenger vehicle like this, the useful life of the filter is rated for 100,000 miles. The clogged DPF triggers some causes of oil leakage at the turbo. When this happens, replacing the filter AND repairing the turbo seals may work - but by 100,000 miles you are likely experiencing some (if not substantial) blowby. It just happens. That oil loss to blowby will clog a new DPF fairly quickly as the oil will not convert in a regeneration.

In short, replacing the DPF is almost guarenteed not to cure your oil consumption. You can spend the thousands to try, but if it doesnt work, your spending that much more to do the delete.

Trust me, I'd prefer to have left my truck stock, but the DPF filter is not the emmissions savior it is said to be, and the cost to maintain it on a higher mile engine is just not feasible. On semi trucks, the DPF systems are much larger and designed to be servicable. Not so on our passenger vehicles.

I am sure others can chime in, and you should seek other opinions. It's going to be a big expense for you one way or another.
EZsputnik (06-10-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BlueTec Engine Oil Consumption & DPF Soot Accumulation