MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   Tires for towing (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/671587-tires-towing.html)

clvincent 06-28-2017 04:26 PM

Tires for towing

Those of you pulling decent size trailers, what tires are you guys using?

lkchris 06-29-2017 06:23 PM

There are no special requirements for tires when towing ... that said assuming you fit tires according to specification load rating, etc.

DennisG01 06-29-2017 06:37 PM

Ditto to the above. There's nothing special to tires in regards to towing/not towing. Now, a tire that tends to wear out quicker under normal driving conditions will of course wear a little faster when towing. But that's nothing that everyone didn't already know.

sak335 06-30-2017 01:31 PM

I used to tow a lot more than I do now; probably 20 or so weekends a year at the height of my racing career. What I found was that you worry a lot more about the trailer tires than you do the tow vehicle. Having said that, I used to run D load range tires on my pickup, since the position of the hitch relative to the rear wheels put a lot more weight on it than the GL does with the short rear overhang.

Here's a guide that I cribbed from Tirerack.com which shows the various load ranges. Load rated tires allow you to run higher PSI.

LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires
Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Maximum Load Pressure
B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)***
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)***
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)***
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)***
F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***

mrmotoguzzi00 06-30-2017 02:32 PM

Interesting Question.....

I'm doing some towing with a ML63 we just purchased, about 6k lbs or so, double axle... currently the wife stole it again but i think it has the pirelli pzero's on there....

gonna have take a good look when she she comes back...

One more story about I beat this corvette/mustang/camaro off the light and im hiding the keys from her !!

Mike

clvincent 07-01-2017 03:17 AM

i am reading a lot about stiffer sidewalls being better for towing and that the michelins may not always have those

i always run the top of the line michelin available for my truck in its stock size, rides good empty etc

but if there is a better tire for towing on these trucks i would be interested in hearing about others experiences

my trailer has brand new tires - load range E upgraded from the stock keystone load range D

funny story about the wife racing the sports cars lol

DennisG01 07-01-2017 05:30 PM

I have towed A LOT. Both with my own vehicles and the marina's trucks where I've worked for close to 20 years. I can tell you that I have never ONCE researched a tire in regards to it being a "towing tire" - either for my vehicles or for when I'm purchasing tires for the marina. Never even crossed my mind to think of it. And I've never trailered with a tire where I thought "hmmm... this tire feels inadequate".

Honestly, I think you're thinking too much about this. :) This is one of those areas where the internet is a bad thing. If someone searches long enough they can find the answer that supports what they "Want" to find, whether right or wrong. I bet if I search in the right places I can find a website that says 2+2=5. Heck, I know for a fact that I've seen videos on the net where they show how 7x13=28.

clvincent 07-01-2017 07:22 PM

well all i can say is that scares me a little to be on the road with you

i have also TOWED A LOT and heavy, big trailers and i definitely pay attention to tire stuff
almost every rig i own is upgraded in load range etc

thanks for all the opinions

DennisG01 07-01-2017 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by clvincent (Post 7197771)
well all i can say is that scares me a little to be on the road with you

i have also TOWED A LOT and heavy, big trailers and i definitely pay attention to tire stuff
almost every rig i own is upgraded in load range etc

thanks for all the opinions

That's an exaggeration and, honestly, a little bit on the rude side that you can infer that of me from just one post. Actually, I don't think anything I said is any different than what others have said... that there really isn't a special "towing tire".

I pay attention to tires and buy quality stuff. I know what load range is and how it affects things. I use gauges (and have added extra gauges in some vehicles) to properly monitor vitals while towing. I don't trailer super heavy, but 13,000 to 15,000 is somewhat normal. The last boat I personally owned (for family use) was a little over 10K gross.

My point was not regarding knowing or not knowing tire stuff nor disregarding it's importance. Just that if you buy a quality tire (which Michelin is), then you are good to go with trailering. We're all guilty of over-analyzing at some point. Having the internet makes it easier to do so.

mrmotoguzzi00 07-03-2017 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by clvincent (Post 7197332)
i am reading a lot about stiffer sidewalls being better for towing and that the michelins may not always have those

i always run the top of the line michelin available for my truck in its stock size, rides good empty etc

but if there is a better tire for towing on these trucks i would be interested in hearing about others experiences

my trailer has brand new tires - load range E upgraded from the stock keystone load range D

funny story about the wife racing the sports cars lol

omg, she is relentless... she will deny it, but some of the people she has raced I KNOW!! and they call me LOL

The proof is in the avg mpg on the cars after she drives them hehehehe

I easily beat her by 3-4mpg... too funny...