GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Any way to disable the headlights or suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Any way to disable the headlights or suspension?

What I mean by that is, when the car starts, the headlights point up and down and then level out. Is there a setting that will keep them locked in place?

Same question with regards to the suspension. Any way to ensure that the suspension simply stays at one level and doesnt auto adjust when starting etc?

Last edited by kensiko; 11-18-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM

2008 GL550
ttt
Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by kensiko
What I mean by that is, when the car starts, the headlights point up and down and then level out. Is there a setting that will keep them locked in place?

Same question with regards to the suspension. Any way to ensure that the suspension simply stays at one level and doesnt auto adjust when starting etc?
I'm guessing by your post that your vehicle has intelligent headlights. If so, what you describe is normal operation.

Have no knowledge concerning suspension.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 11-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
Buying a different car will solve your concerns
Old 11-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4

I don't understand why you would want your car to do any of the things you have requested.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 AM

2008 GL550
Originally Posted by Yoni94
I don't understand why you would want your car to do any of the things you have requested.
I can only imagine that the constant operation of the headlights and suspension will shorten their life span.

I'd much rather have them fixed in place vs dealing with replacing them, even if it helps to slightly prolong their life.

Besides, what exactly is the point of the headlights jumping all over the place on start-up, to check their functionality?

As long as they are level and working, I'm happy. Same would apply to the suspension. One setting is fine.

Last edited by kensiko; 11-19-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 AM

2008 GL550
Originally Posted by gl450x164
Buying a different car will solve your concerns
Man, what a sour Sue. Watch a good comedy. It may help with your depression.

I have this car for the time being. I'm simply asking if there is a setting which I could change or adjust to achieve the desired results, not a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
mefferso (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I understand your thought process, but the suspension is specifically designed to adjust to varying conditions for a better ride. If you disable that, you're defeating the purpose of what it was designed for. It also wouldn't be able to adjust for heavier/lighter loads. Maybe you could pull the fuses/relays for the system? I don't know if you'd keep getting error messages, though - I don't know enough about the intricacies of the system. You could replace the entire system with a standard shock style setup - but then it won't ride as nice. ON THE FLIP SIDE, I don't think disabling the system is going to have any impact on life expectancy. Rubber (the air bags) goes bad over time no matter what. Besides, the rubber is still flexing when the car is moving.

Maybe you could pull the fuse for the lights, as well? Or disconnect what ever motors drive the lights. You'd have to do this AFTER they are adjusted properly on a flat road, I would think? Maybe there's a setting in the computer that a tech can do, I don't know.

Something else to think about... there is PLENTY of credence to the notion that "things that get used on a regular basis last longer".
kensiko (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
This thread is enough comedy. What you are asking simoly cannot be done. They are normal operations for the vehicle to ensure proper operarion. The headlights perform that an initialization to ensure the motors are working properly. And the suspension does the same to ensure even ride height.

Man, what a sour Sue. Watch a good comedy. It may help with your depression.

I have this car for the time being. I'm simply asking if there is a setting which I could change or adjust to achieve the desired results, not a big deal.
kensiko (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM

2008 GL550
Originally Posted by gl450x164
This thread is enough comedy. What you are asking simoly cannot be done. They are normal operations for the vehicle to ensure proper operarion. The headlights perform that an initialization to ensure the motors are working properly. And the suspension does the same to ensure even ride height.
Originally Posted by DennisG01
I understand your thought process, but the suspension is specifically designed to adjust to varying conditions for a better ride. If you disable that, you're defeating the purpose of what it was designed for. It also wouldn't be able to adjust for heavier/lighter loads. Maybe you could pull the fuses/relays for the system? I don't know if you'd keep getting error messages, though - I don't know enough about the intricacies of the system. You could replace the entire system with a standard shock style setup - but then it won't ride as nice. ON THE FLIP SIDE, I don't think disabling the system is going to have any impact on life expectancy. Rubber (the air bags) goes bad over time no matter what. Besides, the rubber is still flexing when the car is moving.

Maybe you could pull the fuse for the lights, as well? Or disconnect what ever motors drive the lights. You'd have to do this AFTER they are adjusted properly on a flat road, I would think? Maybe there's a setting in the computer that a tech can do, I don't know.

Something else to think about... there is PLENTY of credence to the notion that "things that get used on a regular basis last longer".

Thank you, these are the responses I was looking for: theres no switch on the car which essentially "locks" the transmission or headlights in place.

That I "may" be able to do it via fuses or a "hack" but its not an option.

Thats all.

One guy's answer is "go buy a different car"... WTF?

And the other guy wants to know why...

I can understand being curious but at the end of the day I'm just looking for a simple response from someone whos familiar with the system/options.

Sheesh.

Last edited by kensiko; 11-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.