GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Keep an eye on those leaks!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Keep an eye on those leaks!

I had some adventure this past road trip over the Thanksgiving break with the GL350. I have had a slight weep on the front of the motor the last two months and despite me cleaning super good i could not tell for sure where it was coming from due to the belt slinging oil spray everywhere. I initially thought it was my vac pump base gasket but found out the hard way it was not! I was towing the Airstream and heard a serious "whoosh" of air, which I guessed was a charge air leak. Quick pull over without acceleration again (not to throw a check engine light) revealed the intake air temp sensor had come out of the charge air line. It had alot of "hair" material on it and upon closer inspection i could tell the hair was the cords from the serpentine belt which was now down to 1/2" wide. I limped down the road 1 mile to a safe spot and took a look, the oil leak had gotten much worse and caused the belt to slip which created probably alot of heat thus cooking the belt. I proceeded to replace the belt and degreased some on the front of the engine. When i went to start it i noticed oil was "bleeding" from between the two halves of the oil filter housing. Checking the three bolts that hold it together showed it was tight, so i pulled it off and the gasket was rock hard. After a through degreasing i picked up some foreign car RTV and put a 1/8" microbead of RTV on the existing gasket. Let this dry for 3 hours and I fired it up to reveal no leaks!

After getting home (beat tired), I looked up on my EPC and see the oil fiter housing is not available in parts but rather the whole unit comes as a part. Intermediary oring is not available as a stand alone part. I went ahead and ordered the whole thing along with a new intake air temp sensor since the belt broke off the tabs that hold it in, had to hold it in with a zip tie network to get home.

Moral of the story....if you have any oil getting on that Serpentine belt beware! I went from a 12k mile new OEM belt to trash quick due to oil.

The following 4 users liked this post by KrustyKustom:
kensiko (12-03-2017), kombifan (11-30-2017), StradaRedlands (12-02-2017), texas008 (10-23-2023)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I guess all the heat that these engines generate hardened it prematurely. Glad you were able to get it home.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Yes, that intermediary gasket was rock hard. Did the housing replacement today. Did fuel filter, air filters, intake air temp sensor, oil change today and a crazy detail clean. Good to have things leak free again. All in all it's annoying to the wife, but I feel so familiar with this engine after 6 years not sure I want to change!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
I had some adventure this past road trip over the Thanksgiving break with the GL350. I have had a slight weep on the front of the motor the last two months and despite me cleaning super good i could not tell for sure where it was coming from due to the belt slinging oil spray everywhere. I initially thought it was my vac pump base gasket but found out the hard way it was not! I was towing the Airstream and heard a serious "whoosh" of air, which I guessed was a charge air leak. Quick pull over without acceleration again (not to throw a check engine light) revealed the intake air temp sensor had come out of the charge air line. It had alot of "hair" material on it and upon closer inspection i could tell the hair was the cords from the serpentine belt which was now down to 1/2" wide. I limped down the road 1 mile to a safe spot and took a look, the oil leak had gotten much worse and caused the belt to slip which created probably alot of heat thus cooking the belt. I proceeded to replace the belt and degreased some on the front of the engine. When i went to start it i noticed oil was "bleeding" from between the two halves of the oil filter housing. Checking the three bolts that hold it together showed it was tight, so i pulled it off and the gasket was rock hard. After a through degreasing i picked up some foreign car RTV and put a 1/8" microbead of RTV on the existing gasket. Let this dry for 3 hours and I fired it up to reveal no leaks!

After getting home (beat tired), I looked up on my EPC and see the oil fiter housing is not available in parts but rather the whole unit comes as a part. Intermediary oring is not available as a stand alone part. I went ahead and ordered the whole thing along with a new intake air temp sensor since the belt broke off the tabs that hold it in, had to hold it in with a zip tie network to get home.

Moral of the story....if you have any oil getting on that Serpentine belt beware! I went from a 12k mile new OEM belt to trash quick due to oil.

Holy damn dude.

Where did you get the knowledge to determine the problem?

Are you a mechanic?
Old 03-18-2021, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300 GL550
2010 GL 550 currently 184,444 miles and counting. My list is a little extensive probably due to living in central Texas with 100+ degree summers. Purchased the truck in 2017.

All four shocks and air bags
Rebuilt the transfer case myself twice when I failed to clean it properly the first time and ruined the bearings right at 2K miles
Completely replaced the front suspension this year due to bushings going out, while there, went ahead and replaced both axles so I wouldn't have to tear it back apart later.
Just replaced alternator this week
replaced pinch safety strip for rear tailgate
replaced head unit due to bluetooth failed

Still get lots of compliments on her and non-mercedes folks are shocked that she's a 2010.
The following 2 users liked this post by Christx68:
texas008 (10-23-2023), Yup497 (03-18-2021)
Old 04-14-2022, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X166 blue tec 2014 / 2009 Toyota Venza
Originally Posted by kensiko
Holy damn dude.

Where did you get the knowledge to determine the problem?

Are you a mechanic?
same issue here about a month ago. With parts on hold not sure of where leak was and a thorough cleaning I remember Replaced vacuum pump oil filter housing and installed a new serpentine belt running better than ever now. Car was out of service for a month!😞
Old 10-22-2023, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 574 Likes on 483 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Wish I was close so I could take you up on your offer so that others may live. Sorry for your loss, sorry you’ll be out of pocket a couple for a replacement, but I guess that’s how it works with older vehicles. I was basing my comment on a personal experience where we had a brand new Yukon get totaled and found ourselves out 10 to 15 grand out of pocket to buy a new one. Lawyers settled that one right quick.

looks like you got your use out of it and best of luck with your replacement.