GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Another air Matic issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Another air Matic issue

I have a 2012 Mercedes-Benz GL450. I have replace front and rear strut assembly, compressor, valve block, verified fuse and relay, checked for leaks, all components hold air and drop when disconnected from valve block. As of now I start the vehicle and hear the compressor runs until it shuts down for cooling. However it’s as if the valve block never allows air to pass to any of the struts to raise. What is going on? It is completely bottomed out.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
Originally Posted by Bluecollar
I have a 2012 Mercedes-Benz GL450. I have replace front and rear strut assembly, compressor, valve block, verified fuse and relay, checked for leaks, all components hold air and drop when disconnected from valve block. As of now I start the vehicle and hear the compressor runs until it shuts down for cooling. However it’s as if the valve block never allows air to pass to any of the struts to raise. What is going on? It is completely bottomed out.

Check headlight adjusters and relay...if not star/das will figure this out quick
The following users liked this post:
Bluecollar (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by gl450x164
Check headlight adjusters and relay...if not star/das will figure this out quick
Just for my own education, how does this affect the airmatic?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:00 PM

gl450 530i
Well those adjusters are connected to the airmatic module which in turn is abke to adjust the height and level of the car. If they are bent or stuck in position the system might think its level etc. The airmatic system is integrated into many of the cars systems. And as far as the relay they tend to be bad.
Bluecollar (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 03:26 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by gl450x164
Well those adjusters are connected to the airmatic module which in turn is abke to adjust the height and level of the car. If they are bent or stuck in position the system might think its level etc. The airmatic system is integrated into many of the cars systems. And as far as the relay they tend to be bad.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the correlation.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Sounds like youve tried everything.

The fact that its still not working is scary.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 AM

GL450
Ok…after extensive troubleshooting, I’ve figured out what the issue is. I wondered what the range was on the feedback pots aka (level sensors) and wondered if they were “out of range” then the computer would know what to do. Which was the case. So I hot wired the valve block to open each solenoid to put air into each of the four corners until I had a good voltage feedback to the computer. Started the vehicle and she acted completely normal as if she rolled off the assembly line. Of course if I had a SD this would have been as easy as you’ve said. But for a poor electronics tech this will do. Obviously hindsight jacking the vehicle up to proper ride height like I’ve seen posted so many times would have achieved the same result. However I have learned so much about this vehicle and reverse engineered the valve block to share with others for troubleshooting in the future. Thanks for y’alls help. This is a great forum because of the great people.
hamada128 (01-15-2018)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:15 AM

gl450 530i
Ok…after extensive troubleshooting, I’ve figured out what the issue is. I wondered what the range was on the feedback pots aka (level sensors) and wondered if they were “out of range” then the computer would know what to do. Which was the case. So I hot wired the valve block to open each solenoid to put air into each of the four corners until I had a good voltage feedback to the computer. Started the vehicle and she acted completely normal as if she rolled off the assembly line. Of course if I had a SD this would have been as easy as you’ve said. But for a poor electronics tech this will do. Obviously hindsight jacking the vehicle up to proper ride height like I’ve seen posted so many times would have achieved the same result. However I have learned so much about this vehicle and reverse engineered the valve block to share with others for troubleshooting in the future. Thanks for y’alls help. This is a great forum because of the great people.

They have to be within 20mm of each other for the system to consider it within range
Bluecollar (12-04-2017)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450
Would you be willing to share how you hotwired the valve block? I also wondered if I might first jack up the low corner to get the level sensor reading in the correct range, and then the system might go back to behaving normally. I have a diagonal lean right now.

Is it my valve block?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM

GL450
Absolutely
I’ll try and get pics and a wiring schematic of the valve block so it will be easier to understand.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 PM

GL450
Got the pin outs

As you can see on the pics I have reversed engineered the solenoid pack. This unit runs on 12VDC and of course is polarity sensitive. Your 5&6 pin are your common or negative. Apply 12VDC positive to any of the others and you open that solenoid to allow air to pass. I am not sure but figure that pin 8,9,&10 have something to do with a pressure switch etc. but is irrelevant for just activating one of your solenoids.
Hope this helps. Yes we know that if we had the highly expensive software and connections this could be easily done at the click of a button but for us poor people this worked fine for me.