GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear Moon Roof visor repair.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Gl320 CDI 160k miles
Rear Moon Roof visor repair.

Greeting MBWorld,

I had the dreaded rear mood room visor sagging problem in my 2007 gl320. I found a way to repair it without taking the whole headliner down.

Step 1: Remove the rear light panel to access the visor spool with your hand to remove and place.

Step 2: pull down gently on the headliner at the rear of the moonroof where the visor attaches carefully and slowly as to not break or crease the headliner.
Step 3: remove the visor out of the headliner. This will take some finagling. Remove the visor from the track by pulling the rubber stops on either side towards the middle of the car.
Step 4: Reglue the headliner to the roller if it is falling off.
Step 5: Rewind the visor on the spool and place a paper clip in the hole indicated by picture. Play with it a few times to determine the direction and amount of tension that it needs. I think I turned it 3-4 times around to have enough tension. I used a table-top vise to hold the rod in place. A bent paper clip can slide into the hole.

Step 6:
Hold the paper clip in place and place the visor back into the track. Then place the pen without the paper clip in the right hole and the flattened rod into the passenger side. Once it is in the correct place be sure to replace the rubber stops before removing the paper clip or it will unspool back to where you began. Remove paper clip and enjoy the time that you saved by not removing the entire headliner. Push the headliner back up to lock into place and replace the light bezel.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and if you do this job leave a comment of how it went.