GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

HELP. 2007 GL500 positive cable replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL500
HELP. 2007 GL500 positive cable replacement

First post, I apologize for noob mistakes beforehand. Thanks ahead for replies.

Recently bought a 2007 GL500

Car wouldn't start as if battery was dead. Tried to jump started and didn't work. Couldn't move the passenger seat to take a closer look at the battery. After some blind fidgeting with the negative cable head, we managed to turn it on. But the car turned off again few minutes later.

Upon closer inspection, battery seems to be fine. No corrosion on battery heads. Battery looks charged. But the positive cable is corroded, overheated and melted the casing.

Cleaned it with some wd-40, and simple tools, wrapped electrical tape around the exposed copper. Until a trip to rep shop.

I love the car and I really want to make it "mine". Basically, I want to bring my car back to almost new condition by my own hands.

What are my options?

Where can I buy a replacement cable or cable head?

Is it possible to replace the cable by myself or its a mandatory dealership trip? (Local benz distributor is not very consumer friendly place nor is it wallet friendly )

Is there step by step guide somewhere? if yes, please share video or other material.

Please share good place to order OEM parts for international shipping. Need a lot of things, among them: suspension, struts, compressor, sensors, wheel well liner, auto window switch/control parts and more...

Old 07-28-2018, 12:21 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Dig in to pull some slack. Most of the harnesses I have seen have a bit. Cut the bad part, crimp new connector.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL500
What causes this type of overheating/melting damage? Connector was extremely hot on touch. Can i replace with other than benz connectors? Thanks.

Last edited by Noob2Merc; 07-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Anything that causes higher resistance in the wire will cause heat. Resistance = heat. A couple common causes of increased resistance in cables that I can think of off the top of my head...

-- Corrosion
-- A wire/cable that is too small for the amount of amps being pulled through it. Generally, as long as the vehicle is stock, this (alone) won't be the issue. But when you add it on to other issues...
-- Bends in the wire/cable. The tighter the bend, the higher the resistance. Electricity flows like water - if you make a tighter bend, it can't pass through as quickly. In the case of electricity it will cause heat.

As long as you use a good quality connector, you're fine. MB will be "safe", but that's not to say that other brands won't/couldn't be better.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Lol. Bends do not increase resistance with dc. With ac they do a bit, but is mostly inconsequential. Bends will increase head in pipes though- true

You can use any high quality termination.

Heat is usually sign of bad/ lose contact.

Don’t overthink it

Last edited by alx; 07-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.