MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   GL450 Mercedes-Benz ML GL 9" - 8.0 Oreo 4GB RAM Navigation System (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/721294-gl450-mercedes-benz-ml-gl-9-8-0-oreo-4gb-ram-navigation-system.html)

WaveyKat 01-16-2019 09:46 AM

Maybe Turbo Wiring is Different because his truck is 2008 ML350..
i also read some people have battery drain Issues with the Avin unit do anyone having that issues?

WaveyKat 01-19-2019 11:02 PM

Got my unit today for anyone who wants to see images of the unit And wiring
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f3f3e0c38.jpeg
Package
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...34e46c7b0.jpeg
Back Of Unit
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e80fd747a.jpeg
All parts

Iceytys 01-19-2019 11:15 PM

Great....let the fun begin!!! Tried to get the FM working and even with the second antenna I'm getting a really crummy signal....hopefully you have more luck.
keep me posted 🙇*♂️

WaveyKat 01-21-2019 06:55 PM

Well I had mines installed at a shop today was feeling lazy to do the install myself. Plus it’s bitter cold outside in NJ..

So today I had Midcity remote start installed and the
acinusa unit.. took them about 3 hours to install..
the unit will take sometime getting use to but it is a big improvement over the stock unit..
we got everything working except for the Am/Fm radio.. I think all GL from. 2011+ will run into the AM/FM not getting any reception!.. but I will look for a fix..
even the iPhone mirroring works using the easy connect app on the unit!
The sound is a difference from stock sounds way better.. I will play with it some more tomorrow and give more feedback!

rich30769 01-22-2019 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7660274)
Well I had mines installed at a shop today was feeling lazy to do the install myself. Plus it’s bitter cold outside in NJ..

So today I had Midcity remote start installed and the
acinusa unit.. took them about 3 hours to install..
the unit will take sometime getting use to but it is a big improvement over the stock unit..
we got everything working except for the Am/Fm radio.. I think all GL from. 2011+ will run into the AM/FM not getting any reception!.. but I will look for a fix..
even the iPhone mirroring works using the easy connect app on the unit!
The sound is a difference from stock sounds way better.. I will play with it some more tomorrow and give more feedback!

Did they get your phone to work through BT? A lot of us are still having issues with this.

ddruker 01-22-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7660274)

I installed a similar Chinese Android unit in my Boxster, with the same symptoms.
I realize it's a different vehicle - but thought it might help that the problem in the Boxster was that the 3rd party wiring harness adaptor did not include a pin for turning on the vehicle's antenna amplifier. Adding a pin to the adapter to deliver switched 12V to the antenna amp wire that was already present in the car's existing radio wire harness solved the problem.

The GL does have an antenna amplifier - it's part #1648702489 - so perhaps you are seeing a similar problem?

To see if the new head unit is the problem, you can also try connecting a 56 inch length of any regular old insulated wire you have laying around your shop to the the radio connector on your new head unit - just strip a short section of insualtion from one end of the wire and make a connection to antenna connector on your new head unit. Hang the other end of the wire outside of the window. If you get signal from this, then you know that the FM and or AM tuners in the head unit are working, and the problem is with your antenna amplifier in the GL.

Hope this helps send someone in the right direction...

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661028)
Did they get your phone to work through BT? A lot of us are still having issues with this.

yes my phone works perfectly with BT phone calls and streaming music through the Bluetooth!

The next issue which I don’t think it’s an actual issue is that the unit won’t automatically connect to iPhone Hotspot Signal .. but it will automatically connect to a regular Home WIFI signal.

I will I’ll try some different stuff when I get time this weekend with the FM/AM reception.

rich30769 01-23-2019 08:34 AM

Glad to hear that your phone works through the BT, I could never get my Samsung to work. I don't hear the phone ring, nor can I hear the person on the other end. I just turn on the phone's speaker and talk that way. As for your iPhone Hotspot issue, mine has been very sketchy at best. Sometimes it connects right away when I try to connect, other times it takes a few minutes to connect.

BlownV8 01-23-2019 08:58 AM

No satellite radio except through an app yet?

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661696)
Glad to hear that your phone works through the BT, I could never get my Samsung to work. I don't hear the phone ring, nor can I hear the person on the other end. I just turn on the phone's speaker and talk that way. As for your iPhone Hotspot issue, mine has been very sketchy at best. Sometimes it connects right away when I try to connect, other times it takes a few minutes to connect.

What if you Disconnect the Bluetooth Mic Adapter and Just use the Mic On the Avin Unit..?? maybe that might work for you

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7661718)
No satellite radio except through an app yet?

yes you will be able to stream your Sirus Xm thru the App..

BlownV8 01-23-2019 12:35 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, still no direct satellite connection? Don't want to stream from cell data. Can be very sketchy.

ddruker 01-23-2019 12:59 PM

None of the Chinese Android head units support satellite radio, or HD radio, AFAIK.

I turned off my sirius XM subscription on my cars with Android head units - there are many streaming radio apps - you can listen to almost any radio station in the country over your Internet connection. There are also an infinite number of streaming content sources... I have not found it to be sketchy at all - we recently drove from San Francisco to San Diego and back and had Internet connectivity 100% of the time. I suppose if you live or frequently drive somewhere where there is not reliable cell connectivty this would be a problem, but it hasn't been for me. We lose connectivity when we go to Yosemite or other parts of the Sierras, but we have plenty of local media and the mapping apps all work fine if you have a local copy of maps cached.

I have put Android head units in both of my other cars, but not the GL yet. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot to provide Internet connectivity to the head unit, but I don't usually bother with it unless I am going on a trip. I also installed a wifi access point in my garage so the unit gets regular Internet connectivty to keep itself up to date, and it's also set to automatically connect to xfinity hotspots for the same reason.

I find myself most frequently using:
Google maps (with local maps downloaded)
Google Play - to play Music from a 256GB memory stick I have attached to the unit - basically have an infinite number of songs on the device
The AM/FM radio built into the unit on short trips
Messages and Snapchat - so I can see texts coming in.
Torque - to see what's going on with the engine and sysems
Streaming Internet radio on longer trips - iheartradio, radiousa
Nest - I can adjust the temperature in the house remotely
Ring - I can see who is at my front door, get notified when a package gets dropped off
Plex on longer trips - my kids can watch movies or live TV streamed from our home Plex server (they think it's normal, I think it's science fiction)
Hulu on longer trips - same idea- kids can watch streaming video
The usual mix of Google search, Youtube, Yelp etc - to find restaurants, local attractions, etc. Mostly when parked, or the passenger does the typing.

I don't use the phone that much - I almost never drive the Porsche without the top down, and there is just too much road noise.
I don't install any financial applications, or gmail, or facebook, or anything else that automatically logs into private information I wouldn't want other people in the vehicle to have access to.

Many of the Chinese Android head units have problems with Bluetooth - as I understand it, this gets into how the physical hardware is implemented and the underlying chipsets work. Basically, functions like Bluetooth, backup camera, Wifi and Video and Audio I/O are built into a separate underlying hardware subsystem, and the Android software is running on a different CPU. The two systems have to talk with each other via hacked together software, and Bluetooth seems to be consistently problematic. I don't know why, I've just seen references to this all over.

If you want to dig more into how Android Head Units work, how you can customize them, gain root access, etc, here is where you want to be ---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

Iceytys 01-23-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661696)

Im running a Samsung S8, and I havent had any bluetooth connection problems or problems with it connecting to my hotspot. I, like WaveyKat, however still have the FM antenna issue. What's really odd however is I ran just a plain old antenna from the AVIN unit thru the glovebox and on to my dash and I still get a static **** signal. I know everyone says that we need to "POWER" the Mercedes amplifier antenna, but if the local antenna is a direct connect to the back of the unit, what does powering the Mercedes amplifier have anything to do with it? Since my GL didnt have an antenna wire to begin with on the Command Center, it does lead me to believe the FM antenna is internally wired on the OEM unit and would need power. However the AVIN is an aftermarket unit with a regular Fakra antenna plug in the back. Theoretically it should work w/o powering the Mercedes power amp.

Only a guess on my part :wall:

Honestly, I stream/Hotspot most of the time anyway.....its just kind of nerve racking to not have the option to listen to a local FM station, if I am just running up the street and always having to remember to turn on my Hotspot.

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7662011)
Im running a Samsung S8, and I havent had any bluetooth connection problems or problems with it connecting to my hotspot. I, like WaveyKat, however still have the FM antenna issue. What's really odd however is I ran just a plain old antenna from the AVIN unit thru the glovebox and on to my dash and I still get a static **** signal. I know everyone says that we need to "POWER" the Mercedes amplifier antenna, but if the local antenna is a direct connect to the back of the unit, what does powering the Mercedes amplifier have anything to do with it? Since my GL didnt have an antenna wire to begin with on the Command Center, it does lead me to believe the FM antenna is internally wired on the OEM unit and would need power. However the AVIN is an aftermarket unit with a regular Fakra antenna plug in the back. Theoretically it should work w/o powering the Mercedes power amp.

Only a guess on my part :wall:

Honestly, I stream/Hotspot most of the time anyway.....its just kind of nerve racking to not have the option to listen to a local FM station, if I am just running up the street and always having to remember to turn on my Hotspot.

When you say plain old antenna.. Is That Antenna A "Powered Amplified Antenna" Or "Regular Non-Powered Antenna"?
another user StephenPage i think who has a 2012 GL450 Use Powered Amplified Antenna and it seems to work for him..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Hi...ui9d:rk:1:pf:0

Iceytys 01-23-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7662070)
When you say plain old antenna.. Is That Antenna A "Powered Amplified Antenna" Or "Regular Non-Powered Antenna"?
another user StephenPage i think who has a 2012 GL450 Use Powered Amplified Antenna and it seems to work for him..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Hidden-Amplified-Antenna-12V-Electronic-Stereo-AM-FM-Radio-Universal-US/253156041623?epid=2245575800&hash=item3af146a397:g :HcUAAOSwZrtZui9d:rk:1:pf:0

Actually I did both......however I will admit....on the powered one, i bought that looks similar to the below I didnt energize it. I decided to buy a non-powered one after just to see if that worked. I really didnt want to power one, so if I figured I could get away without it, I would. I may try to go back to the powered one and hook it up. I was just being lazy and I have been too busy traveling for work to really deep dive this situation. Was selfishly hoping someone else had the same issue and there was an easy fix.....LOL. I guess when it warms up a bit and I really want to tackle this issue I will.

Unless you figure it out first. :bow:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-AM-FM-Radio-Stereo-Hidden-Antenna-Stealth-For-Vehicle-Truck-Motorcycle-Boat/222401799948?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SI M%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D411333a 4ef134f5984dba75211ebf44c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1% 26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D253156041623%26itm% 3D222401799948&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

rich30769 01-23-2019 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7661851)
What if you Disconnect the Bluetooth Mic Adapter and Just use the Mic On the Avin Unit..?? maybe that might work for you

I can try that but, at the moment I'm having other issues with this truck. Had a P0128 code so, I changed the thermostat and now I have a leak from the new housing. I need to correct that issue first, and then I'll get back to dealing with the radio.

WaveyKat 01-24-2019 06:56 PM

Just notice tonight that the images on the backup camera is on the wrong side wondering what can cause this..

was backing into a parking spot and notice the parked car that was parked on my right shows on the screen on the left.. hmmm! Anyone else notice this?

ddruker 01-25-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7663324)
Just notice tonight that the images on the backup camera is on the wrong side wondering what can cause this..

was backing into a parking spot and notice the parked car that was parked on my right shows on the screen on the left.. hmmm! Anyone else notice this?

You will find an option in your setup menu to reverse the backup camera image...

WaveyKat 01-25-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ddruker (Post 7663860)
You will find an option in your setup menu to reverse the backup camera image...

thanks it was on mirrored view now everything is good so far! Just have to fix the radio reception.

WaveyKat 01-26-2019 10:33 AM

So after a few days of use I gotta say the unit is pretty good.. CarPlay is great with my iPhone 8 and android auto doesn’t seem to like galaxy S8.. but that okay I use my iPhone 8 98% of the time for work!

The unit connect automatically to my S8 hotspot which is great! But doesn’t connect automatically to my iPhone hotspot.. so I will only use my S8 for internet service only and iPhone 8 for calls.

Next is is trying to get google maps and every other white screen to stay in dark/night mode so it can be easier on the eyes and see stuff clearly.

Today I will try to work on getting the FM/AM reception working should be getting the parts in the mail today!

But overall the unit I think was a decent buy and a great upgrade. Now my car is officially a 2018 in a 2011 body.. lol I have most features of these newer cars

question: for all who has the Avin unit where did you run the usb cables ? Glove box? Center console? Or handing in the passenger side foot net?

mixja23 02-02-2019 05:42 AM

I have a 2007 ML63 and am looking at this as a possible upgrade...
The supplier is offering a TPMS adapter for $100 extra but I've read this whole thread and not seen anybody mention using the TPMS function...
I don't know my car that well yet as not had it very long but I think it has TPMS as there was a dash message related to Tyre Pressure, I checked the pressures for each wheel and they were around 7-8PSI too high, adjusted to 35 as per the petrol cap, now the dash message reads something like < restart Run Flat indicator or similar...
I can't find anything related to the actual car on my head unit at all, doesn't seem it's like Audi or BMW where you can get a little bit into the bones of the car, oil level & pressure, brake pad level etc...

So, just wondering, does anyone know if it's worth me spending the 100 extra chips to get this, will it integrate with my car...??? Or is a completely new system that only sends data to this unit...??

Thanking you kindly...

WaveyKat 02-02-2019 06:15 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6b1bc0a2f.jpeg
so today i tried to get the Factory Antenna To work and i failed no luck at all.. i ended up using a cheap Ebay antenna which is giving me decent FM Reception..

so what i came up with is that any GL X164 from 2011 + will have the FM Issues unless someone finds the Wire that Powers the Factory Antenna..
we have the NTG 2.5 Command Unit From Factory.. And the Pinout (see attached) i found online and on the forum states that Block B Pin 7 is the Wire for the Factory Antenna which nneds power.. i supplied a 12V wires to it and nothing changes no FM Reception..
and it seems that the 2011+ doesn't have the Double Antenna cable.. the Factory Antenna cable runs from the Glove Box into one of the Factory Harness "Block E"
Also if you have a 2011 + does matter if you switch Blue Amp Wires from the Avin unit because there is no Pin on the Factory Wire harness For it.. that Blue wires are useless.. i will update this with some pictures i took soon..

WaveyKat 02-03-2019 01:04 AM

okay an update with Pictures Hope It Helps Someone.. I have a 2011 GL550 X164 With Harman Kardon
Like i said in the previous post the pinout for the NTG2.5 i think is Wrong for GL 2011+ Cars..
If the "REAL" Factory Amplified Antenna Wire Is Found We Maybe be able to get it to work with the Avinusa Unit
.. but all in all i like the Unit A+ over factory..

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c88d84eaf9.jpg
Blue Wire From Avinusa Harness Goes To an Empty Block on Factory Harness so No Power To Antenna Here!!! its doesn't Plug into any pins..
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6287858ce8.jpg
Factory Harness That Plugs Into Avinusa Harness Green Arrow Empty Block Yellow Arrow Power Wires Red Arrow Mystery Block Not USED In Avinusa Harness but Is where "They" Claim the Power Factory Antenna Wire is Located "Block B Pin 7" turns out to be a yellow wire for my car..
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ad335c326.jpg
Factory Harness That is Not Used With the Avinusa Unit. But this is where the Factory Antenna Comes out From And Disappear Into the Glove Box
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0bb06107cf.jpg
Factory Comand NTG2.5 Purple Circle Is Where that Extra Factory Harness Was Used where the Factory Antenna Came out From and disappear into the Glove Box Red Circle Double Antenna Plug in which Was Not USED in 2011+ Cars
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fb4e61e875.jpg
Aftermarket Cheap Antenna Location Above Rear-view Mirror routed along the headliner down the driver side to the avinusa unit.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...81dbc60931.jpg
Avinusa Unit Playing FM Radio Decent FM reception.. FM Antenna picks up the most popular stations but its spotty
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2c3e7ca8fa.jpg
Avinusa Unit Playing FM Radio Decent FM reception but Not the Best
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1649680080.jpg
Routed USB Cables With 128GB Flash Drive In Armrest
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...32bb51b2d0.jpg
Apple CarPlay Wire
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...54f3d249af.jpg
Apple CarPlay

bha 02-04-2019 11:40 AM

Some questions for those who have this unit:

I have a 2007 GL and am considering buying the following:
AVIN unit
CarPlay adapter
Harmon/Kardon fiber adapter
Stock backup camera adapter
Stock antenna adapter
Stock microphone adapter

1. I am only really interested in CarPlay to be able to use Waze (I think). I am not interested in podcasts or streaming any music from my phone. If the unit can run the SiriusXM (and possibly Google Play Music) android apps, I'm fine for music. Is there anything else I'll get from the CarPlay app that would be of use? If I can run Waze on the unit, then no need for CarPlay.. or am I missing something here?
2. Some of you have mentioned iPhone mirroring.. is that using the CarPlay adapter or some other way?
3. Does CarPlay require plugging in your phone using a lightning connector? Prefer wireless if possible as I dont' want to pull out my phone and plug it into the car every time I get in. If I do have to plug in, does it charge the phone?
4. Not concerned about AM/FM at all.. but I do use Sirius XM and have a subscription. How is the app.. does it crash occasionally, or does it work as well as the original Sirius functionality in the radio?
5. What shows up in the display in the instrument cluster? "Radio" or the actual station number like stock? "Hits 1" or just "Sirius XM" when using the Sirius App? etc.
6. Does bluetooth work OK for phone calls? If you walk near your car with it off, does the phone mysteriously connect to the car? I have heard with some adapters if you walk in the garage the phone pairs which would be annoying (ie. if you are paired to the stereo in the house playing music and it connects to the car when you walk in the garage!)

Thanks so much.. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this right away.. just need a few questions answered from those who have installed one.