MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   GL450 Mercedes-Benz ML GL 9" - 8.0 Oreo 4GB RAM Navigation System (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/721294-gl450-mercedes-benz-ml-gl-9-8-0-oreo-4gb-ram-navigation-system.html)

Henry Hemphill 09-15-2018 02:35 PM

GL450 Mercedes-Benz ML GL 9" - 8.0 Oreo 4GB RAM Navigation System

I learned of this aftermarket radio on this forum. Just wanted to pay it forward. I have a 2007 gl450, which I ordered this Mercedes-Benz ML GL 9" - 8.0 Oreo 4GB RAM Navigation System multimedia navigation head unit for. Had it installed today at PhD electronics in Chicago (22nd and Pulaski rd.). It works like a charm; makes the vehicle look modern and up to date. It's like have an android tablet installed in your vehicle. Highly recommended!

Yup497 09-16-2018 01:16 PM

Any photos? I'm intrigued. Can I keep my satellite radio?

Henry Hemphill 09-16-2018 01:59 PM

I will upload photos when I get home. It's like a cellphone or tablet, so I would image you could download the satellite radio app. But you want need satellite unless you just want it.

Henry Hemphill 09-16-2018 02:44 PM

Aftermarket radio photos

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3b5118f3b.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...99c4b9268.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0d5450027.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1e18b0401.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...04711f2a6.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2692bf4da.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2f069fcc9.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6986cc900.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...28da98d3f.jpeg

Yup497 09-16-2018 03:17 PM

Looks great! Thanks for posting!

Dinismb 09-16-2018 06:30 PM

If you dont mind sharing, how much did it cost you with installation?

Henry Hemphill 09-16-2018 06:48 PM

Installation

The unit is listed on avinusa.com. They bost that it’s plug and play. I tried, it was a little more difficult than that. I went to PhD electronics and paid $280 because I also bought the back up camera. Just the head unit is about $150-$180.

The unit nit by itself is $389

PopoySD 09-18-2018 11:04 AM

ordered the same unit too this weekend and I received it yesterday. Super fast shipping! Of course it helps that it came from SoCal and I live in NorCal. I bought all the adapters for the factory back up cam, gps antenna, and microphone. I even got the Carplay adapter. Hopefully it is plug and play for me since I got all the adapters they suggested. I will be installing later this week and sharing photos when I can too. Looking forward to it as I have an android unit on my Nissan Titan and love everything about it.

Dinismb 09-18-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Henry Hemphill (Post 7555530)
The unit is listed on avinusa.com. They bost that it’s plug and play. I tried, it was a little more difficult than that. I went to PhD electronics and paid $280 because I also bought the back up camera. Just the head unit is about $150-$180.

The unit nit by itself is $389

Thats awesome.
The speakers, do they sound the same as stock?
Did you not have a stock backup camera?

KrustyKustom 09-19-2018 10:17 PM

wonder if the steering wheel controls will still work if you get the adaptors?

PopoySD 09-20-2018 02:08 AM

I just installed mine today. I have a 2012 GL550 with the Harman Kardon system. So I got the MOST fiber optic adapter, factory mic adapter, factory back up cam adapter, CarPlay adapter, as well as the factory gps antenna adapter (which I didn't need because the factory plug was compatible wth the unit and snapped right in. Steering wheel controls work pretty well.

The he only thing I couldn't get to work properly was the radio...for the OP, do you know if the place that installed your unit did anything specific to hook up the radio? I can't find a standard radio antenna like I've seen on other cars, and there was one I noticed that may be the radio antenna, but when I plugged it to the back of the unit, there was barely any stations it could pick up.

I didnt finish the the whole thing because nightfall came, but I'll wrap it up tomorrow and take pictures.

Diamondrichlb 12-13-2018 03:25 PM

After an aborted Pioneer install I'm looking at this unit. https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-ml...on-system.html

I'm told I can connect wirelessly via wifi with an iPhone and use Airplay or wired with the Carplay adaptor. I prefer wireless connection, but would like to know if the unit 'remembers' the Airplay hookup each time the car is started or if it requires steps to connect via Airplay?

Anyone have experience with this?

Iceytys 12-19-2018 10:45 AM

Bought and installed this same unit (w/ back up camera, factory mic, and HK Fiber adaptor) and did the install myself over the weekend, and so far I love it. Great upgrade....unit works flawless and sounds great. Most of all I can stream video (espn, news, games, movies, etc) while sitting in traffic... highly recommended. Only issues thus far is no FM reception, but I am pretty sure I figured out why and have an adapter on the way. You lose a bit of functionality from the Command center, like Nav info doesnt show up in the center display. I use Waze now, so who cares?!?!?! Also you can no longer broadcast video to the rear monitors, but whatever. Its all about the first class (not coach) seats in my GL anyway.....LOL.

Definitely worth the money, and the install was pretty much plug in play, didnt have to cut 1 wire.

Diamondrichlb 12-19-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7633879)
Bought and installed this same unit (w/ back up camera, factory mic, and HK Fiber adaptor) and did the install myself over the weekend, and so far I love it. Great upgrade....unit works flawless and sounds great. Most of all I can stream video (espn, news, games, movies, etc) while sitting in traffic... highly recommended. Only issues thus far is no FM reception, but I am pretty sure I figured out why and have an adapter on the way. You lose a bit of functionality from the Command center, like Nav info doesnt show up in the center display. I use Waze now, so who cares?!?!?! Also you can no longer broadcast video to the rear monitors, but whatever. Its all about the first class (not coach) seats in my GL anyway.....LOL.

Definitely worth the money, and the install was pretty much plug in play, didnt have to cut 1 wire.

Great that it’s working for you. What type phone are you using? Android or IOS?

Iceytys 12-19-2018 04:07 PM

Well an Android of course! :wootrock:

Diamondrichlb 12-19-2018 04:13 PM

Of course. I’m going to try it with IOS

Diamondrichlb 12-19-2018 07:22 PM

Installed the unit.

Can't get the backup camera or microphone to work. I'm using the supplied pigtails purchased from AVIN. When car put in reverse, the backup camera is showing as a black screen with a small square with a triangle inside that with an ! inside that.

Can you tell me what inputs you used on the head unit and the car to get these 2 devices to work?

rich30769 12-19-2018 10:37 PM

Only issues thus far is no FM reception, but I am pretty sure I figured out why and have an adapter on the way.

Definitely worth the money, and the install was pretty much plug in play, didnt have to cut 1 wire.[/QUOTE]

If you figure out why you don't have FM reception, please pass it along. Most of us that installed this unit lost our FM reception.

rich30769 12-19-2018 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7634311)
Installed the unit.

Can't get the backup camera or microphone to work. I'm using the supplied pigtails purchased from AVIN. When car put in reverse, the backup camera is showing as a black screen with a small square with a triangle inside that with an ! inside that.

Can you tell me what inputs you used on the head unit and the car to get these 2 devices to work?

Mic seems to be hit, or miss. It works for some people but, not for others. Also, I'm having a bit of an issue connecting to my phones hotspot. Sometime it connects right away, sometimes it takes minutes to connect.

Diamondrichlb 12-20-2018 01:13 AM

There was a note in my install that said Amp-Com had to connect to Ant. Did you make that connection? When my harness came in the Amp-Con was connected to another Amp-con

Diamondrichlb 12-20-2018 01:18 AM

My iPhone is connecting via A2DP. There is an icon for that connection on the second page. I don't understand all I know about this entire hookup yet. I just installed it today.

I need the microphone and backup camera. Today, someone who should know, told me I might have to pull a new wire for the backup camera. Not good. I specifically ask about the camera and microphone before I bought the unit.

rich30769 12-20-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7634518)
There was a note in my install that said Amp-Com had to connect to Ant. Did you make that connection? When my harness came in the Amp-Con was connected to another Amp-con

Yes, I have FM reception "sometimes" but definitely not like I should. If you remember the COMAND system has 2 farka inputs, this radio has 2 BUT, 1 is empty. That seems to be the problem

rich30769 12-20-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7634520)
My iPhone is connecting via A2DP. There is an icon for that connection on the second page. I don't understand all I know about this entire hookup yet. I just installed it today.

I need the microphone and backup camera. Today, someone who should know, told me I might have to pull a new wire for the backup camera. Not good. I specifically ask about the camera and microphone before I bought the unit.

My Android is connected to A2DP also, I can't hear the phone through the speaker system so, I end up using the phones speaker to answer my calls which defeats the hand free option.
As for the rear view camera, I got lucky and mine works with the adapter they sent me. There's a lot of hit, or miss with this radio.
I previously emailed AVIN with my issues and their solution to me was to return the radio for a full refund. Of course they want every little single box, styrofoam, twisty and whatever else came in the box back also. I happen to have all of that but, decided to just keep the system and deal with the phone and delay in connectivity issues. :nix:

Diamondrichlb 12-20-2018 02:16 PM

As I understand it, the FM antenna is the wire in the rear window. Not sure why that would be intermittent. You would think it would work or not.

I get the phone conversation over the car speakers, just no microphone production.

Still waiting for any response from AVIN after yesterday’s questions.

i like the unit. Looks good. Better than the Pioneer4400, in my opinion. I also like the connectivity between the phone and the unit.

I need my backup camera and microphone and don’t really want to pull wires to get it. Aaarrrggg

rich30769 12-20-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7634932)
As I understand it, the FM antenna is the wire in the rear window. Not sure why that would be intermittent. You would think it would work or not.

I get the phone conversation over the car speakers, just no microphone production.

Still waiting for any response from AVIN after yesterday’s questions.

i like the unit. Looks good. Better than the Pioneer4400, in my opinion. I also like the connectivity between the phone and the unit.

I need my backup camera and microphone and don’t really want to pull wires to get it. Aaarrrggg

I definitely feel your pain and agree about how it updates the look of the cabin. I'm not sure if there's an update out for a lot of these issues, or not. I'm positive that there isn't

TurboDog 01-09-2019 12:19 PM

AvinUSA FM Radio reception ML GL w164

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7634694)
Yes, I have FM reception "sometimes" but definitely not like I should. If you remember the COMAND system has 2 farka inputs, this radio has 2 BUT, 1 is empty. That seems to be the problem

The antenna system on the ML/GL requires 12v to go to the rear antenna amp to get receptionon most FM and any AM stations. I spent a lot of time on this. I finally ran a 12v wire to the antenna power wire on the harness. It is supbose to power the antenna amp when the radion comes on. That did not happer for me. Once I wired it directly it worked GREAT and picked up stations I had never heard. It;s been a while so I don't remember the wire, but I searched a bit and found a video that mentioned the wire. If I can find it I will post. Running 12v to that antenna amp WILL solve your problem. you do NOT need to pull off the back hatch to check thing out, I did that and its a pain to get back on.

Hope this helps!

Diamondrichlb 01-09-2019 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7649856)
The antenna system on the ML/GL requires 12v to go to the rear antenna amp to get receptionon most FM and any AM stations. I spent a lot of time on this. I finally ran a 12v wire to the antenna power wire on the harness. It is supbose to power the antenna amp when the radion comes on. That did not happer for me. Once I wired it directly it worked GREAT and picked up stations I had never heard. It;s been a while so I don't remember the wire, but I searched a bit and found a video that mentioned the wire. If I can find it I will post. Running 12v to that antenna amp WILL solve your problem. you do NOT need to pull off the back hatch to check thing out, I did that and its a pain to get back on.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input.

Where was the wire located? Under the dash in that harness, or under the rear of the drivers seat, or under the rear seat?

On another issue, does your rear camera work and if so - what did you do to get the that to work? And - apparently an even bigger problem - the factory installed microphone? Did you get that to work.

rich30769 01-09-2019 06:19 PM

Yes, if you come across that video, it would be a great help.

Thanks

rich30769 01-09-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7650013)
apparently an even bigger problem - the factory installed microphone? Did you get that to work.

Good luck on getting the microphone to work.

TurboDog 01-09-2019 10:24 PM

Ok. This is a link to the install info I used when putting my radio in, sorry its not a video but is very informative: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...tallation.html

The wire for the antenna amp is in the dash on the wiring harness. I tried hooking the amp con wires together like the install said, but when I checked with an amp meter I was not sending 12v to the antenna amp. I used a jumper to hook the 12v power to the amp and all is well. It was a little trial and error but it will work!
As far a the mic, I just use the one on the radio face. It seems to work quite well and everyone can hear me clearly when on Bluetooth. I had the stock rear camera on my car. and it still works and rather well. Pay close attention to the install instructions and it should work. I used the stock GPS antenna and on the car and that worked great.
Overall, this is a great radio for the money. I put a verizon jetpack in the passenger rear side panel with a glass mount antenna to supply internet access to the radio and it works flawless. I had had issues constantly hooking to my cell phone and I wanted a cleaner solution.
Sorry I don't have more specific info as it has been a few months sine my install. But, if you hit a roadblock let me know and I will see if I can help.

rich30769 01-10-2019 09:35 AM

Thank you. I too am running into problems with my phones hotspot. Sometimes it takes a few minutes before the radio's wifi turns on and allows me to connect to the hotspot. I thought of getting a mobile wifi to always stay connected but, I don't want, or need that extra expense.

WaveyKat 01-13-2019 10:37 AM

So I am also looking into getting the avinusa 9" head unit. Few question for people who already have it...

1. What factory functions do you loose?
2. How do you set the clock in the cluster since the factory navi is removed?
3. Does the volume up/down works with the avinusa unit?
4. Does the channel up/down work with the avinusa unit?

thanks in advance

Iceytys 01-13-2019 10:45 AM

You lose some functions in the dash like the Navigation / Direction.....and you wont get any radio data in the dash...like song or station....but that seems to be it so far.

as for the clock...I dunno....it was set when I put the unit in....so guess I'll have to live with the right time 6 months outta the year...lol. the Avin unit has a clock too....so whatever .

steering buttons still work....my only issues at this point is FM signal.....think I need to get a in dash antenna.....but i stream most of the time anyway so the advantages of the unit outweigh the above to date.

oh...and you can no longer broadcast to the rear monitors......so they will be stand alone.....but with the factory until it wouldn't work in the front in motion anyway.....so...yeah. not a biggie in my book

WaveyKat 01-13-2019 12:14 PM

Ok sounds good I don't broadcast from the front display to the rear display so that's ok..

i never look at the cluster for directions so that's no problem/ and not seeing the songs name/ station rds on the cluster is no problem either

so did you ever run a "12v wire" to power the factory antenna to get better FM reception?

And how how does the avinusa unit work in cold temperatures?

also someone said the factory gps antenna works with the Avinusa unit so no need to purchase the adapter?

Iceytys 01-13-2019 06:45 PM

Yes...the unit comes with the 12v wire already spliced....but the problem with my vehicle is it didnt have a normal antenna wire.....I am not sure if its on the same wire as the GPS from the car
..or some other wire...but i didnt have anything to plug into the back of the AVIN.....was really weird. The factory unit has the double white Fakra connection for an antenna...but nothing was plugged into it. 🤷*♂️

as for cold weather performance....I couldn't tell ya...not super cold down here....but it's an electronic...so should be fine.

TurboDog 01-14-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7653037)
So I am also looking into getting the avinusa 9" head unit. Few question for people who already have it...

1. What factory functions do you loose?
2. How do you set the clock in the cluster since the factory navi is removed?
3. Does the volume up/down works with the avinusa unit?
4. Does the channel up/down work with the avinusa unit?

thanks in advance

WaveyKat

Many things still work. The analog clock can be reset by pulling the fuse for the display cluster panel for a few seconds. On my ML it is the bottom fuse on the passenger fuse panel by the glovebox. 5A I think. The clock will reset to 12:00. Do it at noon or midnight and you are good. I do it at 11:59 to give the analog clock a little time to do it's dance and get to 12:00. Volume on the steering works fine. You can change radio stations fine as well. It's not a perfect system, but it beats the other options by a good bit.

Best of Luck!

TurboDog 01-14-2019 11:08 AM

The amp Com wire coming from the harness seems to be the key to this. Avinusa says to connect the 2 amp con or "antenna" wires together. This did not work for me. I hooked a 12v line from an accessory power source wire to the amp con wire coming out of the wiring harness. As soon as I did this the triggered the antenna amp to power up and work great. MB has an elaborate system for an antenna, but the in-dash antennas as crap. I have a few and they all suck.
My radio gets great reception on the MB system.

WaveyKat 01-14-2019 12:58 PM

thanks guys for all the help and info.. i will place my order and see what happens.. the unit does looks good and like someone said it will bring the car up to speed with all the newer tech.

i ordered
Mercedes GL 9" Unit: PX5804GB32-MLGL
Apple CarPlay / Android Auto USB adapter
MOST Fiber Optic
Factory Backup Camera Adapter

Excited :-)

Iceytys 01-14-2019 01:01 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9cb6b37027.jpg
Well worth it!!!

WaveyKat 01-15-2019 09:56 AM

From Reading All Post..it seems like Each model year has Different Wiring for the FM/AM Antenna..
i have 2011 GL550 With HK systems and RES.

hopefully when i get the Avin Unit i can figure out the FM/AM Radio Situation

Iceytys 01-15-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7654669)
From Reading All Post..it seems like Each model year has Different Wiring for the FM/AM Antenna..
i have 2011 GL550 With HK systems and RES.

hopefully when i get the Avin Unit i can figure out the FM/AM Radio Situation

I agree....let me know if you find a trick to the FM antenna......I have an in dash unit coming this week, so Ill put in in this weekend and see if it works worth a damn. I dont use FM that much, so its not a super big deal, but would be nice to have it working.

WaveyKat 01-15-2019 10:15 AM

@Iceytys can you let me know what in dash unit you are referring too so i can also have a backup plan..
also did the ever use: did it work for you?

thanks

Iceytys 01-15-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7654693)
@Iceytys can you let me know what in dash unit you are referring too so i can also have a backup plan..
also did the ever use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
did it work for you?

thanks

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have that unit and while you are going to need that for FM signal there is nothing for you to plug into....turns out the wire I thought I was going to plug it into just ran to the same unit as my Ipod adapter in the glove box, so when I plugged it in...it didnt help the reception. However if you get a stand alone antenna it will be helpful to have that adapter.

Here is the FM adapter/in dash antenna I am waiting on now...FYI.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZHOLA-New-A...w/183238421808

Should be here later this week......wont have time until this weekend to mess with it though

TurboDog 01-15-2019 10:47 AM

Picture of AvinUSA FM antenna Connaection

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a234d0ef3a.jpg
AvinUSA FM antenna connection
This is what they tell you to connect. One side goes to the radio the other goes to the connection to wire harness. The radio "should" send 12v to turn the radio antenna amp on when the radio comes on. I hooked up the wire from the harness to another power source to send power to amp and it worked. The radio was not sending a strong 12v to the amp and Mercedes is picky about the power. Try hooking to a solid 12v source to test and then wire as you need to. I used another accessory power source so the amp is powered when the key in turned on. Been great for 9 months!

WaveyKat 01-15-2019 10:57 AM

ok thanks Turbo i will also try that..
and thanks Ice i will use that power Antenna as backup just in-case turbo suggestion doesn't work..

Iceytys 01-15-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7654726)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a234d0ef3a.jpg
AvinUSA FM antenna connection
This is what they tell you to connect. One side goes to the radio the other goes to the connection to wire harness. The radio "should" send 12v to turn the radio antenna amp on when the radio comes on. I hooked up the wire from the harness to another power source to send power to amp and it worked. The radio was not sending a strong 12v to the amp and Mercedes is picky about the power. Try hooking to a solid 12v source to test and then wire as you need to. I used another accessory power source so the amp is powered when the key in turned on. Been great for 9 months!

Turbodog...thanks for chiming in and thats great....but what plug are you plugging in to your AVIN where the FM antenna goes? See the double Fakra on the AVIN where I circled it. That's the FM connection......did u plug anything into that?

The same plug on the command center was there...but it too was not being used. 🤷*♂️
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e3bdac8aca.jpg

TurboDog 01-15-2019 01:07 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...84e6d54530.jpg
Antenna connection

One of the 2 white antenna connections is for the antenna. As I remember, only one of them was hot and the other looked unused. I think i needed a fakra adapter, you made need to order one. Personally I would just cut the antenna wire because your not going to go back to the stock radio anyway. These are pictures I took at install so sorry my memory of the specifics is a little foggy. Hope this helps.

Iceytys 01-15-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7654853)
Antenna connection

One of the 2 white antenna connections is for the antenna. As I remember, only one of them was hot and the other looked unused. I think i needed a fakra adapter, you made need to order one. Personally I would just cut the antenna wire because your not going to go back to the stock radio anyway. These are pictures I took at install so sorry my memory of the specifics is a little foggy. Hope this helps.

yes...you are correct...only 1 of the 2 Fakra connections on the AVIN is hot...and I have the adapter....however....I have yet to identify which wire is the antenna wire of the car....see picture below...this is from my Command Unti...nothing was attached to the antenna on the factory unit...so I assume they are using another wire....but not sure what wire. Any thoughts?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c6fa024b99.jpg

Iceytys 01-15-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7654853)
Antenna connection

I can see you plugged in a black wire to your unit....where does it go (glove box) ? I traced a wire back to a box above the glove box, however when I plugged it in, it didnt make a difference, so I pulled it out. I thought it was part of the Ipod adaptor since it was wrapped to that plug. Mmm...I may have to look again when I with my car.

Thanks for the heads up...Ill investigate further.

thanks

TurboDog 01-15-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7654883)
I can see you plugged in a black wire to your unit....where does it go (glove box) ? I traced a wire back to a box above the glove box, however when I plugged it in, it didnt make a difference, so I pulled it out. I thought it was part of the Ipod adaptor since it was wrapped to that plug. Mmm...I may have to look again when I with my car.

Thanks for the heads up...Ill investigate further.

thanks

Keep in mind that if the antenna amplifier does not have power, hooking up the Correct antenna wire will not help.

WaveyKat 01-16-2019 09:46 AM

Maybe Turbo Wiring is Different because his truck is 2008 ML350..
i also read some people have battery drain Issues with the Avin unit do anyone having that issues?

WaveyKat 01-19-2019 11:02 PM

Got my unit today for anyone who wants to see images of the unit And wiring
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f3f3e0c38.jpeg
Package
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...34e46c7b0.jpeg
Back Of Unit
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e80fd747a.jpeg
All parts

Iceytys 01-19-2019 11:15 PM

Great....let the fun begin!!! Tried to get the FM working and even with the second antenna I'm getting a really crummy signal....hopefully you have more luck.
keep me posted 🙇*♂️

WaveyKat 01-21-2019 06:55 PM

Well I had mines installed at a shop today was feeling lazy to do the install myself. Plus it’s bitter cold outside in NJ..

So today I had Midcity remote start installed and the
acinusa unit.. took them about 3 hours to install..
the unit will take sometime getting use to but it is a big improvement over the stock unit..
we got everything working except for the Am/Fm radio.. I think all GL from. 2011+ will run into the AM/FM not getting any reception!.. but I will look for a fix..
even the iPhone mirroring works using the easy connect app on the unit!
The sound is a difference from stock sounds way better.. I will play with it some more tomorrow and give more feedback!

rich30769 01-22-2019 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7660274)
Well I had mines installed at a shop today was feeling lazy to do the install myself. Plus it’s bitter cold outside in NJ..

So today I had Midcity remote start installed and the
acinusa unit.. took them about 3 hours to install..
the unit will take sometime getting use to but it is a big improvement over the stock unit..
we got everything working except for the Am/Fm radio.. I think all GL from. 2011+ will run into the AM/FM not getting any reception!.. but I will look for a fix..
even the iPhone mirroring works using the easy connect app on the unit!
The sound is a difference from stock sounds way better.. I will play with it some more tomorrow and give more feedback!

Did they get your phone to work through BT? A lot of us are still having issues with this.

ddruker 01-22-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7660274)

I installed a similar Chinese Android unit in my Boxster, with the same symptoms.
I realize it's a different vehicle - but thought it might help that the problem in the Boxster was that the 3rd party wiring harness adaptor did not include a pin for turning on the vehicle's antenna amplifier. Adding a pin to the adapter to deliver switched 12V to the antenna amp wire that was already present in the car's existing radio wire harness solved the problem.

The GL does have an antenna amplifier - it's part #1648702489 - so perhaps you are seeing a similar problem?

To see if the new head unit is the problem, you can also try connecting a 56 inch length of any regular old insulated wire you have laying around your shop to the the radio connector on your new head unit - just strip a short section of insualtion from one end of the wire and make a connection to antenna connector on your new head unit. Hang the other end of the wire outside of the window. If you get signal from this, then you know that the FM and or AM tuners in the head unit are working, and the problem is with your antenna amplifier in the GL.

Hope this helps send someone in the right direction...

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661028)
Did they get your phone to work through BT? A lot of us are still having issues with this.

yes my phone works perfectly with BT phone calls and streaming music through the Bluetooth!

The next issue which I don’t think it’s an actual issue is that the unit won’t automatically connect to iPhone Hotspot Signal .. but it will automatically connect to a regular Home WIFI signal.

I will I’ll try some different stuff when I get time this weekend with the FM/AM reception.

rich30769 01-23-2019 08:34 AM

Glad to hear that your phone works through the BT, I could never get my Samsung to work. I don't hear the phone ring, nor can I hear the person on the other end. I just turn on the phone's speaker and talk that way. As for your iPhone Hotspot issue, mine has been very sketchy at best. Sometimes it connects right away when I try to connect, other times it takes a few minutes to connect.

BlownV8 01-23-2019 08:58 AM

No satellite radio except through an app yet?

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661696)
Glad to hear that your phone works through the BT, I could never get my Samsung to work. I don't hear the phone ring, nor can I hear the person on the other end. I just turn on the phone's speaker and talk that way. As for your iPhone Hotspot issue, mine has been very sketchy at best. Sometimes it connects right away when I try to connect, other times it takes a few minutes to connect.

What if you Disconnect the Bluetooth Mic Adapter and Just use the Mic On the Avin Unit..?? maybe that might work for you

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8 (Post 7661718)
No satellite radio except through an app yet?

yes you will be able to stream your Sirus Xm thru the App..

BlownV8 01-23-2019 12:35 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, still no direct satellite connection? Don't want to stream from cell data. Can be very sketchy.

ddruker 01-23-2019 12:59 PM

None of the Chinese Android head units support satellite radio, or HD radio, AFAIK.

I turned off my sirius XM subscription on my cars with Android head units - there are many streaming radio apps - you can listen to almost any radio station in the country over your Internet connection. There are also an infinite number of streaming content sources... I have not found it to be sketchy at all - we recently drove from San Francisco to San Diego and back and had Internet connectivity 100% of the time. I suppose if you live or frequently drive somewhere where there is not reliable cell connectivty this would be a problem, but it hasn't been for me. We lose connectivity when we go to Yosemite or other parts of the Sierras, but we have plenty of local media and the mapping apps all work fine if you have a local copy of maps cached.

I have put Android head units in both of my other cars, but not the GL yet. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot to provide Internet connectivity to the head unit, but I don't usually bother with it unless I am going on a trip. I also installed a wifi access point in my garage so the unit gets regular Internet connectivty to keep itself up to date, and it's also set to automatically connect to xfinity hotspots for the same reason.

I find myself most frequently using:
Google maps (with local maps downloaded)
Google Play - to play Music from a 256GB memory stick I have attached to the unit - basically have an infinite number of songs on the device
The AM/FM radio built into the unit on short trips
Messages and Snapchat - so I can see texts coming in.
Torque - to see what's going on with the engine and sysems
Streaming Internet radio on longer trips - iheartradio, radiousa
Nest - I can adjust the temperature in the house remotely
Ring - I can see who is at my front door, get notified when a package gets dropped off
Plex on longer trips - my kids can watch movies or live TV streamed from our home Plex server (they think it's normal, I think it's science fiction)
Hulu on longer trips - same idea- kids can watch streaming video
The usual mix of Google search, Youtube, Yelp etc - to find restaurants, local attractions, etc. Mostly when parked, or the passenger does the typing.

I don't use the phone that much - I almost never drive the Porsche without the top down, and there is just too much road noise.
I don't install any financial applications, or gmail, or facebook, or anything else that automatically logs into private information I wouldn't want other people in the vehicle to have access to.

Many of the Chinese Android head units have problems with Bluetooth - as I understand it, this gets into how the physical hardware is implemented and the underlying chipsets work. Basically, functions like Bluetooth, backup camera, Wifi and Video and Audio I/O are built into a separate underlying hardware subsystem, and the Android software is running on a different CPU. The two systems have to talk with each other via hacked together software, and Bluetooth seems to be consistently problematic. I don't know why, I've just seen references to this all over.

If you want to dig more into how Android Head Units work, how you can customize them, gain root access, etc, here is where you want to be ---> https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

Iceytys 01-23-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7661696)

Im running a Samsung S8, and I havent had any bluetooth connection problems or problems with it connecting to my hotspot. I, like WaveyKat, however still have the FM antenna issue. What's really odd however is I ran just a plain old antenna from the AVIN unit thru the glovebox and on to my dash and I still get a static **** signal. I know everyone says that we need to "POWER" the Mercedes amplifier antenna, but if the local antenna is a direct connect to the back of the unit, what does powering the Mercedes amplifier have anything to do with it? Since my GL didnt have an antenna wire to begin with on the Command Center, it does lead me to believe the FM antenna is internally wired on the OEM unit and would need power. However the AVIN is an aftermarket unit with a regular Fakra antenna plug in the back. Theoretically it should work w/o powering the Mercedes power amp.

Only a guess on my part :wall:

Honestly, I stream/Hotspot most of the time anyway.....its just kind of nerve racking to not have the option to listen to a local FM station, if I am just running up the street and always having to remember to turn on my Hotspot.

WaveyKat 01-23-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7662011)
Im running a Samsung S8, and I havent had any bluetooth connection problems or problems with it connecting to my hotspot. I, like WaveyKat, however still have the FM antenna issue. What's really odd however is I ran just a plain old antenna from the AVIN unit thru the glovebox and on to my dash and I still get a static **** signal. I know everyone says that we need to "POWER" the Mercedes amplifier antenna, but if the local antenna is a direct connect to the back of the unit, what does powering the Mercedes amplifier have anything to do with it? Since my GL didnt have an antenna wire to begin with on the Command Center, it does lead me to believe the FM antenna is internally wired on the OEM unit and would need power. However the AVIN is an aftermarket unit with a regular Fakra antenna plug in the back. Theoretically it should work w/o powering the Mercedes power amp.

Only a guess on my part :wall:

Honestly, I stream/Hotspot most of the time anyway.....its just kind of nerve racking to not have the option to listen to a local FM station, if I am just running up the street and always having to remember to turn on my Hotspot.

When you say plain old antenna.. Is That Antenna A "Powered Amplified Antenna" Or "Regular Non-Powered Antenna"?
another user StephenPage i think who has a 2012 GL450 Use Powered Amplified Antenna and it seems to work for him..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Hi...ui9d:rk:1:pf:0

Iceytys 01-23-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7662070)
When you say plain old antenna.. Is That Antenna A "Powered Amplified Antenna" Or "Regular Non-Powered Antenna"?
another user StephenPage i think who has a 2012 GL450 Use Powered Amplified Antenna and it seems to work for him..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Hidden-Amplified-Antenna-12V-Electronic-Stereo-AM-FM-Radio-Universal-US/253156041623?epid=2245575800&hash=item3af146a397:g :HcUAAOSwZrtZui9d:rk:1:pf:0

Actually I did both......however I will admit....on the powered one, i bought that looks similar to the below I didnt energize it. I decided to buy a non-powered one after just to see if that worked. I really didnt want to power one, so if I figured I could get away without it, I would. I may try to go back to the powered one and hook it up. I was just being lazy and I have been too busy traveling for work to really deep dive this situation. Was selfishly hoping someone else had the same issue and there was an easy fix.....LOL. I guess when it warms up a bit and I really want to tackle this issue I will.

Unless you figure it out first. :bow:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-AM-FM-Radio-Stereo-Hidden-Antenna-Stealth-For-Vehicle-Truck-Motorcycle-Boat/222401799948?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SI M%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D411333a 4ef134f5984dba75211ebf44c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1% 26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D253156041623%26itm% 3D222401799948&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

rich30769 01-23-2019 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7661851)
What if you Disconnect the Bluetooth Mic Adapter and Just use the Mic On the Avin Unit..?? maybe that might work for you

I can try that but, at the moment I'm having other issues with this truck. Had a P0128 code so, I changed the thermostat and now I have a leak from the new housing. I need to correct that issue first, and then I'll get back to dealing with the radio.

WaveyKat 01-24-2019 06:56 PM

Just notice tonight that the images on the backup camera is on the wrong side wondering what can cause this..

was backing into a parking spot and notice the parked car that was parked on my right shows on the screen on the left.. hmmm! Anyone else notice this?

ddruker 01-25-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7663324)
Just notice tonight that the images on the backup camera is on the wrong side wondering what can cause this..

was backing into a parking spot and notice the parked car that was parked on my right shows on the screen on the left.. hmmm! Anyone else notice this?

You will find an option in your setup menu to reverse the backup camera image...

WaveyKat 01-25-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ddruker (Post 7663860)
You will find an option in your setup menu to reverse the backup camera image...

thanks it was on mirrored view now everything is good so far! Just have to fix the radio reception.

WaveyKat 01-26-2019 10:33 AM

So after a few days of use I gotta say the unit is pretty good.. CarPlay is great with my iPhone 8 and android auto doesn’t seem to like galaxy S8.. but that okay I use my iPhone 8 98% of the time for work!

The unit connect automatically to my S8 hotspot which is great! But doesn’t connect automatically to my iPhone hotspot.. so I will only use my S8 for internet service only and iPhone 8 for calls.

Next is is trying to get google maps and every other white screen to stay in dark/night mode so it can be easier on the eyes and see stuff clearly.

Today I will try to work on getting the FM/AM reception working should be getting the parts in the mail today!

But overall the unit I think was a decent buy and a great upgrade. Now my car is officially a 2018 in a 2011 body.. lol I have most features of these newer cars

question: for all who has the Avin unit where did you run the usb cables ? Glove box? Center console? Or handing in the passenger side foot net?

mixja23 02-02-2019 05:42 AM

I have a 2007 ML63 and am looking at this as a possible upgrade...
The supplier is offering a TPMS adapter for $100 extra but I've read this whole thread and not seen anybody mention using the TPMS function...
I don't know my car that well yet as not had it very long but I think it has TPMS as there was a dash message related to Tyre Pressure, I checked the pressures for each wheel and they were around 7-8PSI too high, adjusted to 35 as per the petrol cap, now the dash message reads something like < restart Run Flat indicator or similar...
I can't find anything related to the actual car on my head unit at all, doesn't seem it's like Audi or BMW where you can get a little bit into the bones of the car, oil level & pressure, brake pad level etc...

So, just wondering, does anyone know if it's worth me spending the 100 extra chips to get this, will it integrate with my car...??? Or is a completely new system that only sends data to this unit...??

Thanking you kindly...

WaveyKat 02-02-2019 06:15 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6b1bc0a2f.jpeg
so today i tried to get the Factory Antenna To work and i failed no luck at all.. i ended up using a cheap Ebay antenna which is giving me decent FM Reception..

so what i came up with is that any GL X164 from 2011 + will have the FM Issues unless someone finds the Wire that Powers the Factory Antenna..
we have the NTG 2.5 Command Unit From Factory.. And the Pinout (see attached) i found online and on the forum states that Block B Pin 7 is the Wire for the Factory Antenna which nneds power.. i supplied a 12V wires to it and nothing changes no FM Reception..
and it seems that the 2011+ doesn't have the Double Antenna cable.. the Factory Antenna cable runs from the Glove Box into one of the Factory Harness "Block E"
Also if you have a 2011 + does matter if you switch Blue Amp Wires from the Avin unit because there is no Pin on the Factory Wire harness For it.. that Blue wires are useless.. i will update this with some pictures i took soon..

WaveyKat 02-03-2019 01:04 AM

okay an update with Pictures Hope It Helps Someone.. I have a 2011 GL550 X164 With Harman Kardon
Like i said in the previous post the pinout for the NTG2.5 i think is Wrong for GL 2011+ Cars..
If the "REAL" Factory Amplified Antenna Wire Is Found We Maybe be able to get it to work with the Avinusa Unit
.. but all in all i like the Unit A+ over factory..

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c88d84eaf9.jpg
Blue Wire From Avinusa Harness Goes To an Empty Block on Factory Harness so No Power To Antenna Here!!! its doesn't Plug into any pins..
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6287858ce8.jpg
Factory Harness That Plugs Into Avinusa Harness Green Arrow Empty Block Yellow Arrow Power Wires Red Arrow Mystery Block Not USED In Avinusa Harness but Is where "They" Claim the Power Factory Antenna Wire is Located "Block B Pin 7" turns out to be a yellow wire for my car..
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ad335c326.jpg
Factory Harness That is Not Used With the Avinusa Unit. But this is where the Factory Antenna Comes out From And Disappear Into the Glove Box
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0bb06107cf.jpg
Factory Comand NTG2.5 Purple Circle Is Where that Extra Factory Harness Was Used where the Factory Antenna Came out From and disappear into the Glove Box Red Circle Double Antenna Plug in which Was Not USED in 2011+ Cars
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fb4e61e875.jpg
Aftermarket Cheap Antenna Location Above Rear-view Mirror routed along the headliner down the driver side to the avinusa unit.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...81dbc60931.jpg
Avinusa Unit Playing FM Radio Decent FM reception.. FM Antenna picks up the most popular stations but its spotty
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2c3e7ca8fa.jpg
Avinusa Unit Playing FM Radio Decent FM reception but Not the Best
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1649680080.jpg
Routed USB Cables With 128GB Flash Drive In Armrest
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...32bb51b2d0.jpg
Apple CarPlay Wire
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...54f3d249af.jpg
Apple CarPlay

bha 02-04-2019 11:40 AM

Some questions for those who have this unit:

I have a 2007 GL and am considering buying the following:
AVIN unit
CarPlay adapter
Harmon/Kardon fiber adapter
Stock backup camera adapter
Stock antenna adapter
Stock microphone adapter

1. I am only really interested in CarPlay to be able to use Waze (I think). I am not interested in podcasts or streaming any music from my phone. If the unit can run the SiriusXM (and possibly Google Play Music) android apps, I'm fine for music. Is there anything else I'll get from the CarPlay app that would be of use? If I can run Waze on the unit, then no need for CarPlay.. or am I missing something here?
2. Some of you have mentioned iPhone mirroring.. is that using the CarPlay adapter or some other way?
3. Does CarPlay require plugging in your phone using a lightning connector? Prefer wireless if possible as I dont' want to pull out my phone and plug it into the car every time I get in. If I do have to plug in, does it charge the phone?
4. Not concerned about AM/FM at all.. but I do use Sirius XM and have a subscription. How is the app.. does it crash occasionally, or does it work as well as the original Sirius functionality in the radio?
5. What shows up in the display in the instrument cluster? "Radio" or the actual station number like stock? "Hits 1" or just "Sirius XM" when using the Sirius App? etc.
6. Does bluetooth work OK for phone calls? If you walk near your car with it off, does the phone mysteriously connect to the car? I have heard with some adapters if you walk in the garage the phone pairs which would be annoying (ie. if you are paired to the stereo in the house playing music and it connects to the car when you walk in the garage!)

Thanks so much.. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this right away.. just need a few questions answered from those who have installed one.

Solo wing 02-04-2019 11:50 AM

Thank you for the feedback guys! Excellent work :).
I wanted to ask those who have the HK sound system, how is the audio quality?
In the stock unit, you can choose one of three modes: Standard, Speech, Logic 7. Does anyone know which mode the Avin uses? I know it has the MOST interface, but is it running in standard or Logic 7?

Thanks in advance

rich30769 02-04-2019 02:55 PM

It's Android based so, whatever you can install from the Play Store, you can install on this unit. I have never gotten my bluetooth to work properly, I know that many have though. Negative on the SiriusXM. I have never seen anything show up in my cluster, wait actually once, once I saw the stations show up n the cluster, once.

rich30769 02-04-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Solo wing (Post 7672435)
Thank you for the feedback guys! Excellent work :).
I wanted to ask those who have the HK sound system, how is the audio quality?
In the stock unit, you can choose one of three modes: Standard, Speech, Logic 7. Does anyone know which mode the Avin uses? I know it has the MOST interface, but is it running in standard or Logic 7?

Thanks in advance

In my opinion the sound quality is much better than the stock unit. Not sure which mode if any of them are being used.

rich30769 02-04-2019 03:06 PM

okay an update with Pictures Hope It Helps Someone.. I have a 2011 GL550 X164 With Harman Kardon
Like i said in the previous post the pinout for the NTG2.5 i think is Wrong for GL 2011+ Cars..
If the "REAL" Factory Amplified Antenna Wire Is Found We Maybe be able to get it to work with the Avinusa Unit
.. but all in all i like the Unit A+ over factory..

I ended up tapping into a 12v source and into the blue ant. amp coming from the harness. Still fuzzy but, much better then what it previously sounded like.

rich30769 02-04-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7653819)
The amp Com wire coming from the harness seems to be the key to this. Avinusa says to connect the 2 amp con or "antenna" wires together. This did not work for me. I hooked a 12v line from an accessory power source wire to the amp con wire coming out of the wiring harness. As soon as I did this the triggered the antenna amp to power up and work great. MB has an elaborate system for an antenna, but the in-dash antennas as crap. I have a few and they all suck.
My radio gets great reception on the MB system.

I went this route today and I finally have the radio working. Thanks

WaveyKat 02-04-2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7672620)

rich.. whats the model year of your gl?

Since my 2011 doesn’t even have an fm antenna cable that was originally plugged into the double white Fakra. Leads me to believe from 2011+ Uses some other form of getting fm reception..

so I was thinking if I find the FM Antenna Amplifier which is located in the tailgate and use a long frame to female extension Fakra cable and plug it directly to the amplifier and directly to the Avinusa unit then apply 12v power block B pin 7 maybe the fm reception may work

rich30769 02-04-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7672803)

rich.. whats the model year of your gl?

Since my 2011 doesn’t even have an fm antenna cable that was originally plugged into the double white Fakra. Leads me to believe from 2011+ Uses some other form of getting fm reception..

so I was thinking if I find the FM Antenna Amplifier which is located in the tailgate and use a long frame to female extension Fakra cable and plug it directly to the amplifier and directly to the Avinusa unit then apply 12v power block B pin 7 maybe the fm reception may work

2009 but, upon further review, reception is still crappy.

WaveyKat 02-05-2019 10:08 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fc80bc8c5.jpeg
Date and time
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d860ad2cd.jpeg
Set time
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e0d54ec10.jpeg
Set date
So for anyone who was asking about setting the analog clock.. I found this setting in my cluster

so now I can set the clock for daylight saving time

rich30769 02-05-2019 10:26 PM

Nice but, definitely not on the 09. I disconnected/reconnected the battery at noon to set my clock.

bha 02-06-2019 08:39 AM

That clock setting menu only exists on certain variations of the ML/GL. Basically if you have a radio that is capable of setting the clock (ie. certain COMAND units) it is done on the radio. If not, the instrument cluster comes coded to allow you to change the time.

I had an R230 SL500 where I put in an aftermarket radio, and lost the ability to change the clock on the dash.

Yes, you can always remove/install the battery cable at noon but there is another way..get someone with STAR/DAS to code the instrument cluster to allow time setting. Can't remember what the setting was, but it was something like "COMAND CLOCK SET" and you change it from PRESENT to NOT PRESENT. Then it thinks you have a basic radio and allows the menus to show up for clock setting (exactly the same as the screen shots that were posted)

It is about a 5 min job if your car is connected to STAR/DAS.. probably under 20 mins total from start to finish. I guess worst case you could get a dealer to do it but they may charge you an hour labor to do it.

Much easier to set the clock back/forth than waiting for noon twice a year when DST changes.

rich30769 02-06-2019 12:39 PM

Thanks, I definitely need to have that done. Even though it's a simple process, I always tend to be 5+ minutes late when wanting to do the clock set.

WaveyKat 02-06-2019 03:50 PM

i have a STAR/DAS System And was Messing around with it not sure what i did.. but i know when i was trying to remove the COMAND from the System it was password Protected needed online access.. but the next day i notice the Clock/Date Menu..

bha 02-06-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7674566)
i have a STAR/DAS System And was Messing around with it not sure what i did.. but i know when i was trying to remove the COMAND from the System it was password Protected needed online access.. but the next day i notice the Clock/Date Menu..

ah, now I remember the exact name of the setting

it was “COMAND” present/not present

when you set it to not present, the clock menu shows up

rich30769 02-07-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7674566)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, lol

freddienux 02-08-2019 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7655655)
Maybe Turbo Wiring is Different because his truck is 2008 ML350..
i also read some people have battery drain Issues with the Avin unit do anyone having that issues?

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7672620)

Ok I have Kenwood dnx994s installed reception is crappy. I have a solid blue/power ant con wire and also also a blue with white stripe/ amp turn wire. I have a power antenna adapter connected to blue solid wire and have crappy reception. Should I try connecting both wires from Kenwood harness to a switch turn on? Thx In advance

rich30769 02-08-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7676037)
Ok I have Kenwood dnx994s installed reception is crappy. I have a solid blue/power ant con wire and also also a blue with white stripe/ amp turn wire. I have a power antenna adapter connected to blue solid wire and have crappy reception. Should I try connecting both wires from Kenwood harness to a switch turn on? Thx In advance

Connecting to a turn on only gave me "slightly" better reception. Hopefully this will work better for you.

freddienux 02-08-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7676351)
Connecting to a turn on only gave me "slightly" better reception. Hopefully this will work better for you.

K! Sorry being a look what do you mean by connecting to the turn on?

rich30769 02-08-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7676369)
K! Sorry being a look what do you mean by connecting to the turn on?

I meant 12v turn on switch. Sorry, I missed a word. lol

freddienux 02-08-2019 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7676524)
I meant 12v turn on switch. Sorry, I missed a word. lol

So don't connect to blue wire on head unit harness?Connect the dual power Farka antenna adapter to a 12v turn on switch? Thx in advance

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-09-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7658861)
Got my unit today for anyone who wants to see images of the unit And wiring
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f3f3e0c38.jpeg
Package
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...34e46c7b0.jpeg
Back Of Unit
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e80fd747a.jpeg
All parts

WaveyKat, thank you to you and others for all the very useful information already provided.
I think you had your new head unit installed by someone else but do you know which parts in your bottom picture were not used for your installation?
I believe the MOST fibre Optic addon (for Harman Kardon systems) is the part in the white packet just above & right of the user manual in the picture. It looks like this part has 3 wires without connectors at the loose end. I'm wondering what they get connected to. By chance any pictures of the MOST Fibre Optic addon connected/installed?

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-09-2019 11:57 PM

Wondering if anybody has installed, or is thinking of installing, this same new Avinusa unit on a 2008 year model to replace the original APS NTG2 head unit for which the rear connections look like this:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...212e601252.jpg
Not sure if the labelling of lines in the photo is correct.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3fcad841b0.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b6d2273732.jpg

I'm not sure if the labelling of lines in the top photo is correct but in any case, since the rear of this 2008 NTG2 head unit looks very different to the rear of the 2011+ NTG2.5 unit, I'm trying to work out/confirm if the parts that come with the Avinusa unit will work. I would also get the following add-ons: MOST Fibre Optic Adapter, Android Auto USB Adapter, Factory Back-up Camera Adapter and perhaps the Factory Microphone Adapter.

A lot has been said in this thread about the problem of very poor FM reception after installation of the Avinusa unit on the 2011+ year models. It seems power to the factory FM antenna is the problem. Does the wiring on the NTG2 unit perhaps give any new clues?

rich30769 02-10-2019 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7676780)
So don't connect to blue wire on head unit harness?Connect the dual power Farka antenna adapter to a 12v turn on switch? Thx in advance

I ran a lead from a 12v source (cigarette lighter) straight to the blue antenna wire coming from the harness. The reception for me is only slightly better. If anyone has a better solution, please chime in.

freddienux 02-10-2019 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7677618)
I ran a lead from a 12v source (cigarette lighter) straight to the blue antenna wire coming from the harness. The reception for me is only slightly better. If anyone has a better solution, please chime in.

Ok thx so much another question do you have a antenna adapter to radio? In my case I have a Kenwood dnx994s and had to run a power antenna adapter

rich30769 02-10-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7677650)
Ok thx so much another question do you have a antenna adapter to radio? In my case I have a Kenwood dnx994s and had to run a power antenna adapter

I only have the farka plug that came with radio plugged in. I was thinking of getting the farka to standard antenna adapter and installing/hiding a standard antenna somewhere but, at the moment streaming my stations seem to working fine. It stinks that I have to depend on wifi/hotspot connection but, it is what it is, at the moment.

freddienux 02-10-2019 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7677773)
I only have the farka plug that came with radio plugged in. I was thinking of getting the farka to standard antenna adapter and installing/hiding a standard antenna somewhere but, at the moment streaming my stations seem to working fine. It stinks that I have to depend on wifi/hotspot connection but, it is what it is, at the moment.

Gotcha! Well I got a.d.d and it's driving me nuts that we can't get a solution on all radio lol

rich30769 02-10-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7678139)
Gotcha! Well I got a.d.d and it's driving me nuts that we can't get a solution on all radio lol

it used to bother me like that also BUT, I conceded. Lol

freddienux 02-10-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7678141)
it used to bother me like that also BUT, I conceded. Lol

Im not now but eventually I will

WaveyKat 02-11-2019 08:39 AM

for the 2011+ Model GL the power to the Antenna is not Really the Problem.. the Problem is that 2011+ Does NOT Have a Black FM Antenna (Purple Arrow) like in your Picture Above..
2011+ FM Antenna was not Connected Directly To Factory Comand NTG 2.5 FM Double White Fakra.. with that said the Factory Comand NTG 2.5 Pulled Its FM Reception From Sirius Tuner..
which i'm in the Process of trying to by Pass.

the 2008 GL/ML has that Factory Black FM Cable so all you need to do is connect it to the avin fakra and find the power for the antenna Amp.. and it should all for your you..

see this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...head-unit.html

bha 02-11-2019 08:45 AM

the 2008 GL/ML has that Factory Black FM Cable so all you need to do is connect it to the avin fakra and find the power for the antenna Amp.. and it should all for your you..
I assume this means find a switched +12V wire (which I can tap from the back of the radio I'm sure) -- but where does it connect to provide power to the antenna amp? do you have a wire color or location to do this?

I'm about to install in a 2007 GL. I have the black FM cable and will connect to the radio.. just don't know how to power the antenna amp.

WaveyKat 02-11-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by bha (Post 7678572)
I assume this means find a switched +12V wire (which I can tap from the back of the radio I'm sure) -- but where does it connect to provide power to the antenna amp? do you have a wire color or location to do this?

I'm about to install in a 2007 GL. I have the black FM cable and will connect to the radio.. just don't know how to power the antenna amp.

not sure which factory unit you have but POST #73 has pinout of the factory Wires

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-12-2019 02:36 PM

Avin head unit installation instructions

Anyone, any chance of posting the User Manual that comes with the new Avinusa unit as well as pictures of the connectors perhaps? Avinusa's support page is only available with an order number or to verified customers and I'd like to review the wiring and connections ahead of a purchase.

WaveyKat 02-13-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI (Post 7679790)
Anyone, any chance of posting the User Manual that comes with the new Avinusa unit as well as pictures of the connectors perhaps? Avinusa's support page is only available with an order number or to verified customers and I'd like to review the wiring and connections ahead of a purchase.

The Avin unit does not come with a wiring user manual.. only a manual on how to use the functions on the radio..

rich30769 02-13-2019 01:06 PM

Still can't get my phone to work through BT. The unit acknowledges that a call is either coming in, or that I am dialing out but, I can't hear the ringing through the trucks speakers, nor can I hear, or talk through the system. Today I unplugged the mic adapter hoping that it all would work using the radio's mic but, still nothing. Very aggravating. Also, I went to an Independent mechanic that actually has the STAR/DAS system to see if they would turn off the "COMAND" present to not present in the dash. After trying to explain to him what I wanted/needed done for 45 mins, I gave up and left the shop.

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-13-2019 04:06 PM

No Avin installation manual

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7680479)
The Avin unit does not come with a wiring user manual.. only a manual on how to use the functions on the radio..

Well then that explains a few things. Thank you.
If I had an Avin unit like this to install, I might easily have been lost without these forums and videos.
I sent an on-line message to Avinusa through their website the day before yesterday and haven't heard anything back yet.

WaveyKat 02-15-2019 05:33 PM

So for my fellow 2011+ guys I think I finally got the fm radio reception perfectly working
i purchase a long Fakra-Z cable and connect it directly to the fm amplifier mounted in the tail gate and ran it directly to the Avinusa unit and all the fm radio station came in clear and I didn’t have to apply power to anything..

now the the hard part is routing the new fakra cable to the radio smh..
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...65b23744d.jpeg
New fakra cable inserted into fm amplifier in tailgate
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...885bbf349.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...aca182538.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ee5b5ceea.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c70f5c581.jpeg

WaveyKat 02-15-2019 09:04 PM

Completed! I’m now a very happy camper everything works fm reception is perfect and I didn’t have to run the fakra from the tailgate! Details soon!

freddienux 02-15-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7682688)
Completed! I’m now a very happy camper everything works fm reception is perfect and I didn’t have to run the fakra from the tailgate! Details soon!

Tell us please! What did you do?

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-15-2019 09:15 PM

Congratulations!

rich30769 02-15-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7682688)

This is only for 2011 forward, or all?

freddienux 02-16-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7682529)
So for my fellow 2011+ guys I think I finally got the fm radio reception perfectly working
i purchase a long Fakra-Z cable and connect it directly to the fm amplifier mounted in the tail gate and ran it directly to the Avinusa unit and all the fm radio station came in clear and I didn’t have to apply power to anything..

now the the hard part is routing the new fakra cable to the radio smh..
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...65b23744d.jpeg
New fakra cable inserted into fm amplifier in tailgate
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...885bbf349.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...aca182538.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ee5b5ceea.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c70f5c581.jpeg

I see your in NYc area because of your radio ststios. I'm in the Jersey shore and in the same boat bad reception. We need that fix lol

WaveyKat 02-16-2019 09:18 PM

Hey yea From NYC but live NJ now.. yea! :-)

well before I post I wanted to make sure my fix was legit. And it is legit drove around My area in NJ most of the day with NO lost of FM radio reception everything was clear all the stations was picked up by unit.

WaveyKat 02-16-2019 09:44 PM

I’m not sure for other model year but for those of us who are missing that Fakra FM Antenna Wire that was supposed to be plugged into Factory Radio this fix may work for you!
So in my previous post I bypass the Sirus tuner and plug a new Fakra cable directly into the FM Antenna Amplifier that was mounted in tailgate.. but I had no idea how I was going to run the fakra cable into headliner to the radio..

Parts you will need New 15 feet or longer Fakra-Z cable one end female other end Male..

so under the driver side second row seats there you will find the Sirus tuner and some other components..

unplug double White Fakra Cable from the Sirus Tuner
and plug in your new male side Fakra-Z cable try both double fakra .(you will have to shave the tab off the male head) for it to fit into the factory double white fakra. Plug the under end of the female fakra-z into the Avinusa unit verify that it’s picking up the FM reception..

once everything is working it’s time to route your cable neatly hide away..
route the cable under the rear seat to the left side rear door seal you may have to remove the sill plate it pulls up easy just take your time.. tuck your cable along the plastic sills and carpet.. running along the driver side pull up the driver side weather strip and run the cable up and into the dash. Remove the 3 screws holding the bottom panel of the driver side dash and route the cable to the Avinusa radio.. tuck and replace all panels and enjoy..

everything took be about 20-30 mins snake/tuck and replace panels..

Hope this help other.. enjoy!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d1adb3571.jpeg
Red circle: White Double Factory Fakra Cable Yellow Line: is how I route my cable after connection is made!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...84dfa1c72.jpeg
Blue Circle: Double Fakra Removed and connected to New Fakra-Z Male

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-16-2019 09:54 PM

Excellent WaveyKat! A great achievement! Avinusa should take note and put it into a User Manual.

rich30769 02-16-2019 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI (Post 7683367)
Excellent WaveyKat! A great achievement! Avinusa should take note and put it into a User Manual.

Great write up... He would have to get AVIN to respond first. Smdh ... I have an '09 but, I'll order the longer fakra cable and give it a shot

WaveyKat 02-16-2019 10:50 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f96142b0d0.png
I got this Fakra-Z
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1a6d94eba.jpeg
Red arrow showing the tab I shave off! 1ft short Fakra-Z

Yea I spent about 30-50 bucks in trial and error stuff..
just Remember Fakra-Z male to Fakra-Z female RG174
the “Z” indicates it’s universal to work with any fakra.. also don’t forget you must shave the little tab on the male cable off for it to fit snugly into factory double white fakra.. the cable I got from eBay was listed
as
“15 FT Fakra Z jack to female jack pigtail cable RG174 WiFi Neutral Coding”

but that cable has two female end because I was going run the cable from the fm Amplifier to the Avinusa unit..
i had also gotten this cable too: Incase..which I ended up using

“1ft Fakra Z Male to Fakra Z Male Water-Blue Color 50Ω Mini Coax RG174 Cable”

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-16-2019 11:05 PM

Many people, I'm sure, will reference and benefit from this thread in time to come. Thank you.

freddienux 02-17-2019 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7683389)

I got this Fakra-Z

the “Z” indicates it’s universal to work with any fakra.. also don’t forget you must shave the little tab on the male cable off for it to fit snugly into factory double white fakra.. the cable I got from eBay was listed
as

but that cable has two female end because I was going run the cable from the fm Amplifier to the Avinusa unit..

Great work brotha. Hopefully this work for my Kenwood dnx994s

Iceytys 02-18-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7683389)

I got this Fakra-Z

as

Awesome work.....I installed another amplified antenna this weekend and it seems to work, but I havent had time to fully test it.....if I dont get good results,I'll definitely go this route........thanks for putting in all the heavy lifting here....glad you got it working!!

WaveyKat 02-18-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7684275)
Awesome work.....I installed another amplified antenna this weekend and it seems to work, but I havent had time to fully test it.....if I dont get good results,I'll definitely go this route........thanks for putting in all the heavy lifting here....glad you got it working!!

yea I purchased 3 of those aftermarket powered antenna they work only with the car is not moving. Once I started driving fm reception became spotty hated it so.. I download and started using iheart radio which works great but you must have your device connected to the internet..
so that’s when I really started looking into the fm amplifier in the tailgate.. the factory cable enters into the vehicle and disappear but it seem they change the color of the connect so it was puzzling until I started unplugging and everything and connecting each factory cable directly to the Avin unit! And it worked :).. I can’t stand when something not working the way it suppose to so I don’t really quit until I have no other choice.. so I’m glad to help others!
Been working on Benz for quite some time since I had few other Benz did all the repairs myself! :)

rich30769 02-19-2019 12:10 PM

Definitely appreciate you taking the time and effort to solve this issue for the rest of us. I'm just waiting delivery of my fakra cable to finally fix this issue.

WaveyKat 02-19-2019 06:45 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c815573da.jpeg
Night Shot! Worth The Money!
The unit made a great update to the interior love it!

freddienux 02-20-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7683363)
I’m not sure for other model year but for those of us who are missing that Fakra FM Antenna Wire that was supposed to be plugged into Factory Radio this fix may work for you!
So in my previous post I bypass the Sirus tuner and plug a new Fakra cable directly into the FM Antenna Amplifier that was mounted in tailgate.. but I had no idea how I was going to run the fakra cable into headliner to the radio..

Parts you will need New 15 feet or longer Fakra-Z cable one end female other end Male..

so under the driver side second row seats there you will find the Sirus tuner and some other components..

and plug in your new male side Fakra-Z cable try both double fakra .(you will have to shave the tab off the male head) for it to fit into the factory double white fakra. Plug the under end of the female fakra-z into the Avinusa unit verify that it’s picking up the FM reception..

route the cable under the rear seat to the left side rear door seal you may have to remove the sill plate it pulls up easy just take your time.. tuck your cable along the plastic sills and carpet.. running along the driver side pull up the driver side weather strip and run the cable up and into the dash. Remove the 3 screws holding the bottom panel of the driver side dash and route the cable to the Avinusa radio.. tuck and replace all panels and enjoy..

Red circle: White Double Factory Fakra Cable Yellow Line: is how I route my cable after connection is made!

QUOTjust wanted to make sure. You disconnected twin white farka and connected to new farka z cable then to radio direct? Thx in advance

WaveyKat 02-21-2019 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7686730)
QUOTjust wanted to make sure. You disconnected twin white farka and connected to new farka z cable then to radio direct? Thx in advance

yea the twin Factory fakra is disconnected from the Sirius Tuner.. and your new Fakra-Z male End will be connected to one of the two double Fakra then to the Avinusa unit

Bamohd 02-21-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7687211)

yea the twin Factory fakra is disconnected from the Sirius Tuner.. and your new Fakra-Z male End will be connected to one of the two double Fakra then to the Avinusa unit

Thanks for extreme effort and sharing information as you mentioned that you bought two cable one Female-female and other Male-male. So if get 6 meter female to male is that ok

WaveyKat 02-21-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bamohd (Post 7687241)
Thanks for extreme effort and sharing information as you mentioned that you bought two cable one Female-female and other Male-male. So if get 6 meter female to male is that ok

Yes a 15 foot Female Fakra-Z to Male Fakra-Z will work..

the only reason I Purchased a Female To Female Cable i was going to Run the Cable From The FM Amp which has a male connector Located in The Tailgate to the Radio..
but once i found that i can use the Double White Fakra Located at the Sirius Tuner i Used a 1 foot male to male to the 15 foot Female to female to make my connections..

Bamohd 02-24-2019 03:13 PM

Rear two TV not working

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7687254)
Yes a 15 foot Female Fakra-Z to Male Fakra-Z will work..

the only reason I Purchased a Female To Female Cable i was going to Run the Cable From The FM Amp which has a male connector Located in The Tailgate to the Radio..
but once i found that i can use the Double White Fakra Located at the Sirius Tuner i Used a 1 foot male to male to the 15 foot Female to female to make my connections..

Thanks for your help
I bought this unit and was installed here in Saudia Arabia by technician it work fine even radio fm is ok
But two rear screen monitor on the top of seat not working. Is that expected or something went wrong and how will be solved
Thanks

amerc 02-24-2019 10:59 PM

My experience

Hi,

As stated by the original creator of this post, we all have benefited immensely from all the good information posted here. Here is my experience, in case someone may find something useful.

Avinusa

1.Shipping is swift. I placed my order Wednesday night and received it Saturday morning, and I got to work immediately.

2.As has been said, they don’t give any installation manual. Instead they give you access to a support page with a Google drive PDF instructions similar to what is found here- https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...tallation.html

Unboxing

The unit looks exactly like most people have posted here. See post #52. For some reason, the sticker on the unit says ‘ML’, and for a while I thought I had received the wrong unit. Even placing it side by side with the original unit made me a bit skeptical about the fit, but when I placed it in the slot where factory the unit sat, it was a perfect fit.

Installation

3.The instructions in the ‘manual’ are pretty accurate and you will be find everything as described.

4.The only issue I found with the instructions is the description on how to remove the block connector. He says to ‘press the center of the latch’, but I found that pinching the two arms of that latch is what frees it. It is like a hairclip- press one end to open the other end.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...caa9ce184b.png

5. The instructions are from an earlier version. The latest one is a bit different. But all the connection cables fit in specific slots in the unit, and even if you had no idea where what goes where- you will eventually find a slot on the unit for all the supplied cables- and they are many!

MOST Adapter

6. I read a number of posts here that said, ‘didn’t have to cut one wire’, but AVINUSA directed me to a set of instructions on connecting the MOST adapter that included ‘wiretapping’ into existing wires. They even include this complimentary link on
. I don’t know if this is considered cutting a wire- to me it is. I initially tried connecting the unit without wiretapping into anything and there was no sound. I guess if you do not have the Harman Kardon System, there in no 'wire cutting' involved.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c6c88bee4a.png

7. The most difficult part of wiretapping is figuring out which wires to wiretap into. I have heard here that there is NGT2 and NGT2.5. I assumed mine is NGT2, but I still couldn’t read these PIN diagrams.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b9ded49061.png

I eventually convinced myself that the PIN wiring diagrams are to be viewed from the direction of the cables- in this case the big red wire corresponds to PIN 15. I was right, because I wiretapped into that wire and the Harman Kardon system came to life- there was sound. Or I was lucky and tapped into some random wire with the right power.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...25e0a30e5a.jpg

8. The extra instructions from AVINUSA indicated that the yellow Fakra is for ‘Diverse antenna’- I don’t know what that means. I had also come across a post (#96), where the yellow FAKRA was labelled as a potential factory microphone connection. Turns out that is the right configuration. The yellow FAKRA is for the factory microphone.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...65a08404da.png

9. The instructions say to connect 'AMP- CON' to 'ANT'. That is correct- do exactly that. The unit comes with 'AMP-CON' attached to another 'AMP-CON'

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b46cb4071c.png

10.. Finally, I knew the backup camera needed some ‘wire cutting’ for it to work. Lucky are those with a FAKRA connection for the back up camera! The instructions depict RCA cables as nice and made up of only 2 solid cables. In the real world, the cables are made up of very tiny strands that fall apart as you try to strip the covers.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b5c0e88070.png
This is what you expect

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...41a41b6618.jpg
This is how a real RCA cable looks like

The Results

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5ac2249b4a.jpg
Back up Camera

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6b49c59f7f.jpg
Back up camera with ruler
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...66d2a2fbf0.jpg
FM Radio
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...600e89af50.jpg
Google Maps
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...298c2b61d6.jpg
BT Music

Verdict:
The best upgrade for the most majestic car on the road today!

Iceytys 02-25-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bamohd (Post 7689842)
Thanks for your help
I bought this unit and was installed here in Saudia Arabia by technician it work fine even radio fm is ok
But two rear screen monitor on the top of seat not working. Is that expected or something went wrong and how will be solved
Thanks

Unfortunately w/o the command center you loose connectivity to the rear monitors is what I have read. They units will still work with a DVD in the player, but you can no longer broadcast to the rear from the front. I cant remember if there is a video out signal for the AVIN unit, but if there is maybe its possible to find a way to send a signal to the rear, but I havent hear of anyone doing it yet.

Bamohd 02-25-2019 09:11 AM

Booting

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7690318)
Unfortunately w/o the command center you loose connectivity to the rear monitors is what I have read. They units will still work with a DVD in the player, but you can no longer broadcast to the rear from the front. I cant remember if there is a video out signal for the AVIN unit, but if there is maybe its possible to find a way to send a signal to the rear, but I havent hear of anyone doing it yet.

@Iceytys Thanks for your comments
Also I noticed that head unit power off with ignition off and when I power car again the screen is on with no booting for device
Is that normal for this unit because I have Chinese radio before and when car power off unit off also but when car power started the unit boot normally

Is that normal or some wiring problems

Iceytys 02-25-2019 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7684675)

yea I purchased 3 of those aftermarket powered antenna they work only with the car is not moving. Once I started driving fm reception became spotty hated it so.. I download and started using iheart radio which works great but you must have your device connected to the internet..
so that’s when I really started looking into the fm amplifier in the tailgate.. the factory cable enters into the vehicle and disappear but it seem they change the color of the connect so it was puzzling until I started unplugging and everything and connecting each factory cable directly to the Avin unit! And it worked :).. I can’t stand when something not working the way it suppose to so I don’t really quit until I have no other choice.. so I’m glad to help others!
Been working on Benz for quite some time since I had few other Benz did all the repairs myself! :)

Yep......the antenna didnt work worth a crap....so am going to order the 15' Fakra adapter and go your route as well. Did you order your cable from Amazon?

Iceytys 02-25-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bamohd (Post 7690324)
@Iceytys Thanks for your comments
Also I noticed that head unit power off with ignition off and when I power car again the screen is on with no booting for device
Is that normal for this unit because I have Chinese radio before and when car power off unit off also but when car power started the unit boot normally

Is that normal or some wiring problems

My unit will stay on with the ignition off, unless I open driver door. I am sure yours is the same................and yes I dont notice any boot up time. The only time I notice a boot time, is if I re-start the unit manually.

WaveyKat 02-26-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7690328)
Yep......the antenna didn't work worth a crap....so am going to order the 15' Fakra adapter and go your route as well. Did you order your cable from Amazon?

Ordered all my Cables From Ebay..

bha 02-26-2019 09:56 AM

Installed mine a few weeks ago in my 2007 GL320 CDI

Very fast and easy following this thread (I do quite a bit of work on my car including electrical, so possibly a faster install for me than the average. But it was quite easy)

Everything was basically plug and play. Only exception is the MOST box (but that's just connecting it with 3 t-taps) and the backup video cable (spliced an RCA connector into two wires in the harness.. as posted earlier in this thread)

Worked right away. Ignore the part in the MOST box directions that say "cut the red wire ONLY if you have battery drain problems". I did cut it and the radio didn't power up at all after that! So it seems to need to be connected at all times.. don't cut it.

Everything is set up properly. Loaded Waze as the nav app, Google Play for music, and always have the USB tunes + radio app that is already installed in the radio

Looks like factory, works even better, and sounds WAY better

Only thing I can't figure out: It has two Wi-Fi networks set up (my phone & my wife's). Both phones are iphones. I either have to open the Personal Hotspot section on the phone (for it to be discoverable) OR open the settings/wifi section on the radio for both the radio+phone to connect. Can't remember which one but it's a bit annoying to have to do it each time. My hunch is that the personal hotspot isn't discoverable until you open it on the iPhone, so the radio doesn't see it as a wifi hotspot.

I'll have to see if there is some way to do this..want to just jump in the car and go. Thought I read somethign about connecting via bluetooth which would then get the wifi connected "started" somehow so I will have to play with that.

Other than that, this thing is great!

If I did it again, I could have the whole thing installed in an hour start-to-finish. Totally worth it, and totally worth the money

FYI - I ordered both fakra adapters (backup cam + factory microphone) and didn't use either. Don't order them for a 2007 GL for sure. Backup cam needed an RCA spliced in, and I didn't have a factory mic connector that I could find on the car.. so either it's part of another harness and got connected, or I'm using the mic in the radio (not sure which). Either way it sounds great on phone calls.

amerc 02-26-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bha (Post 7691251)
Installed mine a few weeks ago in my 2007 GL320 CDI

Very fast and easy following this thread (I do quite a bit of work on my car including electrical, so possibly a faster install for me than the average. But it was quite easy)

Everything was basically plug and play. Only exception is the MOST box (but that's just connecting it with 3 t-taps) and the backup video cable (spliced an RCA connector into two wires in the harness.. as posted earlier in this thread)

Worked right away. Ignore the part in the MOST box directions that say "cut the red wire ONLY if you have battery drain problems". I did cut it and the radio didn't power up at all after that! So it seems to need to be connected at all times.. don't cut it.

Everything is set up properly. Loaded Waze as the nav app, Google Play for music, and always have the USB tunes + radio app that is already installed in the radio

Looks like factory, works even better, and sounds WAY better

Only thing I can't figure out: It has two Wi-Fi networks set up (my phone & my wife's). Both phones are iphones. I either have to open the Personal Hotspot section on the phone (for it to be discoverable) OR open the settings/wifi section on the radio for both the radio+phone to connect. Can't remember which one but it's a bit annoying to have to do it each time. My hunch is that the personal hotspot isn't discoverable until you open it on the iPhone, so the radio doesn't see it as a wifi hotspot.

I'll have to see if there is some way to do this..want to just jump in the car and go. Thought I read somethign about connecting via bluetooth which would then get the wifi connected "started" somehow so I will have to play with that.

Other than that, this thing is great!

If I did it again, I could have the whole thing installed in an hour start-to-finish. Totally worth it, and totally worth the money

FYI - I ordered both fakra adapters (backup cam + factory microphone) and didn't use either. Don't order them for a 2007 GL for sure. Backup cam needed an RCA spliced in, and I didn't have a factory mic connector that I could find on the car.. so either it's part of another harness and got connected, or I'm using the mic in the radio (not sure which). Either way it sounds great on phone calls.

My factory microphone adapter worked. Did you try using it? I connected it to the yellow Fakra, and I think the factory microphone is much more sensitive compared to the one on the AVINUSA unit.

amerc 02-26-2019 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI (Post 7677612)
Wondering if anybody has installed, or is thinking of installing, this same new Avinusa unit on a 2008 year model to replace the original APS NTG2 head unit for which the rear connections look like this:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...212e601252.jpg
Not sure if the labelling of lines in the photo is correct.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3fcad841b0.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b6d2273732.jpg

I'm not sure if the labelling of lines in the top photo is correct but in any case, since the rear of this 2008 NTG2 head unit looks very different to the rear of the 2011+ NTG2.5 unit, I'm trying to work out/confirm if the parts that come with the Avinusa unit will work. I would also get the following add-ons: MOST Fibre Optic Adapter, Android Auto USB Adapter, Factory Back-up Camera Adapter and perhaps the Factory Microphone Adapter.

A lot has been said in this thread about the problem of very poor FM reception after installation of the Avinusa unit on the 2011+ year models. It seems power to the factory FM antenna is the problem. Does the wiring on the NTG2 unit perhaps give any new clues?

Your labels seem to be correct and they were very helpful when I did my installation. The factory microphone adapter and the FM antenna worked very well for me. Thanks

bha 02-27-2019 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7690318)

I'm actually going to try this at some point.

There are two sets of AV inputs in the rear dvd player (under the rear passenger side seat). I'm sure if you took a video cable from the AVIN unit and ran it to the DVD (with a splitter since there are 2 video inputs: left and right screens) it would send video to the rear screens. Audio is already done through the stereo system.

The only downside is the people in the rear can only see exactly what is on the front screen. So you can't have navigation in the front and a movie in the rear.

But I think this will be pretty cool. I'm actually going to pull out the DVD player and see if I can solder some female RCA's to the video inputs. That way I can plug the cables in and go. Plugging the cables into the front will stick out, and the roll door over the DVD player won't close.

Diamondrichlb 02-28-2019 12:45 AM

Ok, I installed this unit back in December I think - according to my past posts - I can't believe it's been that long.

I followed the minimal instructions supplied, ask questions on the forum, tried unsuccessfully to get help from AVINUSA, was able to get the wiring diagrams for my VIN number, talked to an a very helpful engineer on the mainland, who somehow hooked me up with an installer here on the island of Oahu. The installer agreed to look at the schematics sent via email and agreed to help me with the install.

Today I took my car in. He ask me to stick around while he pulled the head unit just so he can look around. He pulls the unit out, looks for the adapters for the microphone - not working - fm antenna - not working - and back up camera - not working. I say, I'm not sure, but they're in there someplace it's been a few months since I hooked them up. He digs around a little and says something to the effect that this should be plugged into there and this should be connected to that and this should be plugged in here......and in less than 20 minutes, the Mercedes FM antenna is working, the Mercedes microphone is working, and the Mercedes backup camera is working. He did not run a single wire, he just reconfigured what I had done with the wiring harnesses supplied and the adapters I had purchased.

I wish I could give you all exact instructions, but I was just sitting there with my mouth open thinking what the hell did he just do. I know he plugged the FM antenna adapter into one of the fakra receptacles on the end of the back of the unit. And he just changed where I had the other adapters plugged into wires on the supplied harnesses and everything worked.

Needless to say, I was blown away. What the hell just happened? Wouldn't it be great if the sellers could supply instructions on how to hook up the unit because apparently it can be easily done - I just saw it. Think what rave reviews they would get and how many more units they might sell. Hmmmmm.......customer service. What a concept.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get the unit to consistently connect to my iPhone hotspot I would be in Carplay heaven.

On a side note, the AM antenna does not seem to work. I have never ask about that because it was at the bottom of the list.

Oh, and he took out a plug in the glove box and ran a USB cable in there in case I needed that.

I am so appreciative of meeting someone who knows what he's doing. Daniel Mura, Island Tint Shop. He says he used to do radio installs, but now he has his own Tint Shop. Spotless work area. Stand up guy. I'm having him do some window tint on the car when he has time.

Thank you Daniel!

Diamondrichlb 03-05-2019 11:07 PM

I'd like to plug music into the USB cord in the glove box. Does the HU require a powered unit or will a thumb drive or micro card reader work?

WaveyKat 03-06-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7698367)
I'd like to plug music into the USB cord in the glove box. Does the HU require a powered unit or will a thumb drive or micro card reader work?

Regular un-powered USB Flash Drive Works

Diamondrichlb 03-06-2019 04:31 PM

Hmmm....I plugged a micro-card reader with over 17GB of music on it and the HU does not show or play music and the Forward Dash display shows 00:00:00. What am I doing wrong? Is there a switch I need to flip or setting I need to change. I just use the Music app on the HU right?

freddienux 03-07-2019 11:30 PM

OK @WaveyKat I installed all is good. As you I'm in jersey but go to NYC area all the time. Long story short when I go over the rartian bridge on parkway going south the reception is horrible. But when I get close to NYC its perfect no bad reception at all. I'm on the Jersey shore exit 102 asburynpark area so we get all NYC FM and am channels. Again why is that when I go south from NYC the reception is bad? Thx in advance @WaveyKat also thx for the hook up with radio. Hook up works with w164 ml350 2009

StephenPage 03-08-2019 01:42 PM

Do your AM stations come in loud and clear?

Diamondrichlb 03-09-2019 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7698975)
Hmmm....I plugged a micro-card reader with over 17GB of music on it and the HU does not show or play music and the Forward Dash display shows 00:00:00. What am I doing wrong? Is there a switch I need to flip or setting I need to change. I just use the Music app on the HU right?

I’ve learned that 32GB is the max size card that can be used. That would have been a lot cheaper. 😝

WaveyKat 03-11-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by StephenPage (Post 7700578)
Do your AM stations come in loud and clear?

you know i haven't Check the AM Stations.. it wont bother me if they don't work since i don't use them..
but the FM comes in Loud & Clear..

WaveyKat 03-11-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7700927)
I’ve learned that 32GB is the max size card that can be used. That would have been a lot cheaper. 😝

i have a 128GB Flash Drive and works Perfect!

WaveyKat 03-11-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by freddienux (Post 7700164)
OK @WaveyKat I installed all is good. As you I'm in jersey but go to NYC area all the time. Long story short when I go over the rartian bridge on parkway going south the reception is horrible. But when I get close to NYC its perfect no bad reception at all. I'm on the Jersey shore exit 102 asburynpark area so we get all NYC FM and am channels. Again why is that when I go south from NYC the reception is bad? Thx in advance @WaveyKat also thx for the hook up with radio. Hook up works with w164 ml350 2009

not sure why that is happening so far i have not lost any reception since..

StephenPage 03-11-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7702458)
you know i haven't Check the AM Stations.. it wont bother me if they don't work since i don't use them..
but the FM comes in Loud & Clear..

If AM comes in clear then for sure the problem is solved.

Iceytys 03-18-2019 07:32 AM

Finally got around to hooking my 15’ Fakra cable from the AVIN to the Sirius tuner, and whoala.......radio reception works like a champ. After 3 different cheap powered and unpowered antennas this is the only way to go, for us 2011+ models that don’t have an fm antenna wire. Thanks @WaveyKat for being the trail blazer here. I’m sure I’ll hardly ever use FM, but its nice to know it works as it should. ��

i am am very happy with the purchase of this unit. Hands down worth it!!! If only they had one for my Audi too, I wouldn’t want a new car......lol

WaveyKat 03-27-2019 01:29 PM

how y'all Unit going?

amerc 03-27-2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7716751)
how y'all Unit going?

Mine is doing well. I especially like the improved sound output. However, I lost the view on the backup camera after a month of excellent functionality. I redid the splicing of the RCA cable connection but that did not resolve the issue.

I have also noticed CarPlay disconnecting spontaneously and reconnecting automatically. But the connection and re- connection take a while and there is an instruction on the manual on speeding up the connection. I tried this and it asks for a password. AVINUSA says they are not aware about such password requirements- but other forums online have mentioned 1314 (which does not work on mine)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...72924986b7.png

Diamondrichlb 03-28-2019 03:45 PM

Code 126 gets me into Factory. I have never seen the settings you show so may not work.

StephenPage 03-28-2019 03:55 PM

I ran a Fakra cable from the AVIN to Sirus plug and it works like a champ on my 2012 X164.

WaveyKat 03-29-2019 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by StephenPage (Post 7717797)
I ran a Fakra cable from the AVIN to Sirus plug and it works like a champ on my 2012 X164.

Does Your AM Station Work?

Glad Everyone FM Working great :-).. look how i just made Avinusa a bit Richer :-)

StephenPage 03-29-2019 08:31 AM

AM Stations are working :)

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7718283)
Does Your AM Station Work?

Glad Everyone FM Working great :-).. look how i just made Avinusa a bit Richer :-)

AM Stations are working :)

WaveyKat 03-29-2019 11:11 PM

guys question: is there a way to have an app on the screen for the phone to make calls. it seems like the only way to display phone screen is to press the steering wheel phone button

PopoySD 03-30-2019 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by StephenPage (Post 7717797)

Which one is the Sirus plug?

StephenPage 03-30-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:Originally Posted by StephenPage https://mbworld.org/forums/images/cu...s/viewpost.gifI ran a Fakra cable from the AVIN to Sirus plug and it works like a champ on my 2012 X164.Which one is the Sirus plug?

You'll you need top lift the carpet under the rear seat. It's shown towards the top of this thread.

StephenPage 03-30-2019 09:12 AM

phone screen

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7719012)
guys question: is there a way to have an app on the screen for the phone to make calls. it seems like the only way to display phone screen is to press the steering wheel phone button

Touch the "Blue tooth icon".

Bamohd 04-05-2019 05:01 AM

Back camera some times freeze and stop working

Hello all
I have problem with back camera (Reverse) was freeze in two occasions and stopped working but after few hours it was working again I think it is software problem I try to reset the unit but there was no way to do that.
Failed reset.
Anyone success to reset or update the software.

StephenPage 04-05-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bamohd (Post 7724264)
Hello all
I have problem with back camera (Reverse) was freeze in two occasions and stopped working but after few hours it was working again I think it is software problem I try to reset the unit but there was no way to do that.
Failed reset.
Anyone success to reset or update the software.

I've had that happen a few times as well. However, have not had a problem since once I reseated the cable.

rich30769 04-07-2019 02:02 PM

Finally got around to connecting this headunit to the SIRIUS antenna and can confirm that it also fixes the reception problem on a 2009...

WaveyKat 04-07-2019 07:57 PM

NICE!!! Spread the Word!! :-)

rich30769 04-08-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7726319)
NICE!!! Spread the Word!! :-)

Now if I could just figure out why I can't hear the person on the other end of the phone through the speakers. BT is on, tried using the trucks mic and I also tried using the head units mic, both to no avail.:nix:

amerc 04-14-2019 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by StephenPage (Post 7724437)
I've had that happen a few times as well. However, have not had a problem since once I reseated the cable.

How did you reseat the cable? I have tried moving it around, aligning it to sit more 'straight', redone the splicing, but I only get it to work intermittently. AVINUSA suggested there might be a loose connection. Took it to CarToys and they couldn't find any problems- their suggestion is to install a separate aftermarket camera.

amerc 04-14-2019 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7717788)
Code 126 gets me into Factory. I have never seen the settings you show so may not work.

Thanks. The 126 is for the headunit. The CarPlay adapter requires a different factory password. The settings you see above are for the CarPlay adapter- you may not see them if you don't use the adapter.

JesusV 05-02-2019 10:08 AM

When installing the new HU, did you guys disconnect the battery? If so, did it reset your settings in the GL?

TurboDog 05-02-2019 10:13 AM

Indtall

I did not disconnect the battery. That opens up too many issues with resetting systems.

StephenPage 05-02-2019 10:44 AM

did not disconnect the battery

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 7746737)
I did not disconnect the battery. That opens up too many issues with resetting systems.

I didn't disconnect for the install, but eventually disconnected the battery because there's not a good way without MB-Star to set the clock. I did it at noon because the clock resets to 12:00.

TurboDog 05-02-2019 11:15 AM

Resetting clock

If you pull the fuse for the instrument cluster at 12 noon or 12 midnight and put the fuse back in, the clock will reset to 12 I’m assuming you talking about the analog clock in the dash.
My 2008 ML 350 has the instrument cluster fuse on the panel on the passenger side by the glove box and I think it’s the bottom fuse, I have done it many times nothing else on the instrument cluster resets except the clock.

JesusV 05-02-2019 01:09 PM

Thank you guys for the responses. After much debate, trial and error with the Bluetooth issues, I've decided to change the HU. I will be doing the install this weekend with a different Android HU and will start a new post with details once I'm done. Wish me luck!

Iceytys 05-02-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by JesusV (Post 7746735)
When installing the new HU, did you guys disconnect the battery? If so, did it reset your settings in the GL?

Since it was all plug n play there was no reason to disconnect the battery.

JesusV 05-04-2019 03:38 PM

Just a heads up, If you have a 2011+ GL, you do not have to run a Farka cable to the Sirius fm box. The FM farka is attached to the wire harness, just find it and remove the foam around the cable. Check out my new thread for more details and pictures.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...012-gl550.html

WaveyKat 05-06-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JesusV (Post 7748466)
Just a heads up, If you have a 2011+ GL, you do not have to run a Farka cable to the Sirius fm box. The FM farka is attached to the wire harness, just find it and remove the foam around the cable. Check out my new thread for more details and pictures.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...012-gl550.html

Sorry, but that's not True Post #74 which shows my Factory Farka.. when i connect an antenna to it i get nothing! so it may work for some but not all..

JesusV 05-06-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7749346)
Sorry, but that's not True Post #74 which shows my Factory Farka.. when i connect an antenna to it i get nothing! so it may work for some but not all..

Thats interesting. I wonder if its the Avin antenna connection or the wire harness? I have 2012 GL550 with HK and rear entertainment system, your picture shows the antenna is wired just like mine. I didn't have to make any additional connections to get 12v to the antenna, other than color coded wiring. Granted, I used a different most/interface and a different radio. But you would think the process would be the same.

WaveyKat 06-07-2019 08:39 AM

my unit works pretty good so far.. but i have a question.. so when i plug my iPhone into the unit via auto Box and the Car-Play appears.
if you the music playing eg: AM/FM or SD Music playing while running Google Maps thru your Car-play Does the Music Lowers so you can hear the Directions?
mines doesn't lowers :-( so however lower the music playing that how loud the direction would be.. any fix for that?

Tony353 10-07-2019 10:32 PM

2007 GL450 back up camera issues

I don’t know which cables I have to connect for the back up camera to work. I’ve read through this thread and I read that I would have to splice the rca cable but which one and where do I connect it to?

Diamondrichlb 10-07-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tony353 (Post 7872700)
I don’t know which cables I have to connect for the back up camera to work. I’ve read through this thread and I read that I would have to splice the rca cable but which one and where do I connect it to?

In my experience there is nothing to splice if you have the pig tail. You just have to find the correct wire to connect with the pig tail.

StephenPage 10-07-2019 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tony353 (Post 7872700)

You need to purchase the optional pig tailhttps://avinusa.com/9-touchscreen-multimedia-navigation-system-for-mercedes-benz-ml-gl-2005-2012-model-px6904gb64-mlgl.html

JesusV 10-20-2019 07:44 PM

So after installing my Joying radio and antenna directly to the head unit, I thought the radio had great signal. Turns out, it only got good reception in my garage and I never bothered to check the signal after. Seems like the only way to get the antenna to work properly is to run the wire from the rear sat radio to the head unit as suggested above. Just fyi.

WaveyKat 10-22-2019 08:23 AM

i see that Avinusa Came out with Android 9.0 Pie wonder if we can update the Software on our Unit that has Oreo 8.0

JesusV 10-22-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7883681)
i see that Avinusa Came out with Android 9.0 Pie wonder if we can update the Software on our Unit that has Oreo 8.0

Do you have full control of steering wheel buttons? My phone and voice command buttons don't work on my Joying (could be the interface or connections though). It does allow for hot buttons so I can use my track buttons for picking and up and hanging up calls. Does the track info show in the dash screen?

rich30769 10-22-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JesusV (Post 7883804)
Do you have full control of steering wheel buttons? My phone and voice command buttons don't work on my Joying (could be the interface or connections though). It does allow for hot buttons so I can use my track buttons for picking and up and hanging up calls. Does the track info show in the dash screen?

I'm still not able to hear the other person on the phone through Bluetooth since I first installed my unit. I still have to click on my phones speaker to have a conversation. :wall:

JesusV 11-02-2019 12:35 PM

did you connect the microphone that it came with? Does the music info show on your dash screen?

WaveyKat 11-04-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JesusV (Post 7883804)

yes my Steering Wheel Buttons Work To Change the Radio Station/MP3-Tracks and also the Phone Pickup/Hangup Work
the Voice Command Doesn't Not Work,

JesusV 11-04-2019 10:34 PM

Im wondering if its the interface I got or how I connected it, my phone and voice command buttons don't work. Everything else works fine. The Avin unit says it displays track titles on dash, but I've yet to hear anybody say that it displays. I like my joying, but it if I can get all steering controls and dash display, I would consider switching to the new Avin.

WaveyKat 11-04-2019 10:52 PM

no track titles in the Cluster but you do see the Radio Station, And the MP3 Track Number!
Volume +/- works
Phone Hanup/Pickup Works
Track/Station Search Works
Voice Command Don't Work

EWT 11-05-2019 06:07 PM

Does the factory backup camera work with the converter cable you can buy from Avin?

rich30769 11-06-2019 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JesusV (Post 7892844)
did you connect the microphone that it came with? Does the music info show on your dash screen?

No microphone came with it, I connected it to the OEM microphone with the adapter that came with it. No music info shows on my dash screen, only the radio stations when I pull that screen up which allows me to change stations via the steering wheel controls

amerc 11-06-2019 09:58 PM

Yes, the adapter connects to the factory camera and it works. The AVIN adaper is RCA on one end and Fakra on the other. Depending on the year of your vehicle, the adapter connects to the existing Fakra connector or you need to find the camera cable and splice into an RCA cable.

WaveyKat 01-15-2020 02:25 PM

Avinusa Users does your Google Map App. on the Radio Plays the Direction Loud Enough to hear it while the music is Playing?
Also The Thru Car-Play does the Google Map Direction Play Louder?

Mines doesn't its very Low can hardly hear it unless i turn up the volume halfway up.. then the music will be Very loud.. ;-(

Diamondrichlb 01-15-2020 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7954256)
Avinusa Users does your Google Map App. on the Radio Plays the Direction Loud Enough to hear it while the music is Playing?
Also The Thru Car-Play does the Google Map Direction Play Louder?

Mikes doesn't its very Low can hardly hear it unless i turn up the volume halfway up.. then the music will be Very loud.. ;-(

I believe there are setting to adjust the volume levels of different inputs. It was not really intuitive to me and required some playing around as it's in + and - DB if memory serves. I'm sorry I don't have the exact area for that, but you might look in the password protected factory settings. I'm replacing my AVIN head unit with a new one this week and I'll let you know where those settings are if nobody else comes up with it in the meantime.

I just checked the manual for the new unit I have and under Factory Settings, there is a setting for Voice: "Adjust the volumes of DVD, System, AV Input, Radio, Bluetooth, and more."

That should do it.

Henry Hemphill 01-15-2020 02:34 PM

Hello WaveyKat,

There are additional controls hidden in the advanced menu. You have to search the internet for the original manufacture's instruction manual, which also contains the initial access code (like a Bluetooth pairing code). In there you'll be able to adjust a lot of other features on the device as well. I have since upgraded my vehicle to the 13' GL550 and I'm satisfied with the stock command unit.

Henry Hemphill 01-15-2020 02:41 PM

https://xtrons.com/user-guides/8-Cor...ser-Manual.pdf

This is the link to the manual

Henry Hemphill 01-15-2020 02:44 PM

Enter password (126) to get into the factory settings.

WaveyKat 01-15-2020 03:19 PM

thank you very much i will try this later.. how do you like the New GL550 i was thinking about doing the same getting the new body style

Henry Hemphill 01-15-2020 03:23 PM

I love my GL550. It has everything that we enthusiast are trying to add on to our plan Jane 450s. I am completed satisfied with it. AMG wheels, spoilers, 360 camera, cooled/heated seats, massagers built in, turbo engine, etc...

Sid3ways 02-04-2020 05:54 AM

I'm looking to do this for my wife on our spare 2009 GL450. Is this unit on eBay the same thing? I don't believe our unit has any upgraded sound system so hopefully I won't need the MOST connectors, is there an easy way to tell since our GL doesn't have any labels on the speaker grills?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Android-9...wQZ8#vi-ilComp

StephenPage 02-04-2020 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sid3ways (Post 7971551)
I'm looking to do this for my wife on our spare 2009 GL450. Is this unit on eBay the same thing? I don't believe our unit has any upgraded sound system so hopefully I won't need the MOST connectors, is there an easy way to tell since our GL doesn't have any labels on the speaker grills?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Android-9...wQZ8#vi-ilComp

The brand you qouted is not the same as what I have installed which is this one https://avinusa.com/catalogsearch/re...r=name&dir=asc

rich30769 02-08-2020 10:57 AM

Navigation

It's been a while now that most of us have had this unit in our trucks, what is the consensus on the performance so far? Mine is, I've never been able to get my phone to work through the speakers, I can't hear my phone ring when an incoming call comes in. Now out of the blue, when using the navigation I can no longer hear the turn by turn voice navigation, whether it be through Google Maps, or Waze. The audio will lower to allow the voice nav but, I can't hear it. Volume is turned up, voice is turned on and still nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Iceytys 02-08-2020 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7975281)
It's been a while now that most of us have had this unit in our trucks, what is the consensus on the performance so far? Mine is, I've never been able to get my phone to work through the speakers, I can't hear my phone ring when an incoming call comes in. Now out of the blue, when using the navigation I can no longer hear the turn by turn voice navigation, whether it be through Google Maps, or Waze. The audio will lower to allow the voice nav but, I can't hear it. Volume is turned up, voice is turned on and still nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️

You know, I've had mine in about 1.5 years now, and other then the trouble of figuring out the FM Radio reception thing in the very beginning, it's been awesome. No issues with it.....and as a matter of fact I am looking for something similar for my 2013 S6.

2008 ML 320 CDI 02-09-2020 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by StephenPage (Post 7971931)
The brand you qouted is not the same as what I have installed which is this one https://avinusa.com/catalogsearch/re...r=name&dir=asc

It seems there are 3 versions now (PX5 Android 8.0, PX5 Android 9.0; PX6 Android 9.0) of the AVIN model (PX6904GB64-MLGL) sold by AVINUSA on which the original post and most of this thread is based.

The XTRONS unit (model ICE/HU/IN99M164PL with the
PX30 Quad-core A35 64-bit processor; 2 GB RAM;16 GB ROM) referred to in post No. 202 (Sid3ways) is supplied by XTRONS, but I think the AVIN units are also XTRONS products and all of these units use same operating manual.

The newer XTRONS PX30 model seems to be leaner - no DVD/CD player, smaller (2GB) RAM, smaller (16GB) memory and less powerful processor at 2/3 of the price of the AVIN PX5 version. Strangely enough, I like the simpler and leaner of the PX30 model as long as it'll operate as smoothly as the 'bigger' PX5 and PX6 models. For me a new head unit must have FM and AM, connect to your phone for hands-free calls, be able to connect to the factory MOST system (Harmon Kardon), play music through USB or SD card, have equal or better sound quality than the original head unit, updatable GPS navigation, factory reverse camera function, WiFi for updates and app downloads, Bluetooth for OBDII scanner and other uses.

WaveyKat 02-24-2020 09:48 PM

so far mines is holding up Great. no issues knock on wood.. just wish the navi/maps volume was controlled separately from the radio volume so it can be louder..

Diamondrichlb 02-24-2020 09:54 PM

I believe there is a way to adjust all the volumes in Factory Settings. I think the code is 126. I can't tell you how to set it, but there are + and - setting in there and with some experimentation you can level it all out.

rich30769 02-24-2020 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7990463)
so far mines is holding up Great. no issues knock on wood.. just wish the navi/maps volume was controlled separately from the radio volume so it can be louder..

My navigation volume stopped being loud enough all of a sudden. Never was able to hear my phone through the trucks speakers.

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7990466)
I believe there is a way to adjust all the volumes in Factory Settings. I think the code is 126. I can't tell you how to set it, but there are + and - setting in there and with some experimentation you can level it all out.

Maybe this is the solution to both of my problems. I'll just turn all of the settings up to 20 and go from there.

Diamondrichlb 02-25-2020 12:21 AM

Could work. Although, I think you might have to turn some up and some down to get an even volume.

rich30769 03-04-2020 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 7990622)
Could work. Although, I think you might have to turn some up and some down to get an even volume.

Dumb ass me ended up shorting out the radio today, no sound whatsoever:wall:. Tinkering behind the HU and did something very dumb:rant:, touched the ACC wire and the MIC wire, no bueno. Burnt smell later and now no sound at all. Ordered a new HU today. Once I install it my tinkering days are over. A very costly F up on my part. It's true when they say, boredom leads to dumb ****.

S-Vibes 03-05-2020 05:00 AM

Ouch

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7999808)
Dumb ass me ended up shorting out the radio today, no sound whatsoever:wall:. Tinkering behind the HU and did something very dumb:rant:, touched the ACC wire and the MIC wire, no bueno. Burnt smell later and now no sound at all. .

Damn! That sucks. I feel your pain

2008 ML 320 CDI 03-05-2020 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7999808)
Dumb ass me ended up shorting out the radio today, no sound whatsoever:wall:. Tinkering behind the HU and did something very dumb:rant:, touched the ACC wire and the MIC wire, no bueno. Burnt smell later and now no sound at all. Ordered a new HU today. Once I install it my tinkering days are over. A very costly F up on my part. It's true when they say, boredom leads to dumb ****.

This kind of thing happens to all of us. Sorry to hear that though.

WaveyKat 03-06-2020 11:30 AM

wow that sucks .. just "set it and forget" next time.. im still working on the Navi Volume issue.

rich30769 03-06-2020 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 8000924)
wow that sucks .. just "set it and forget" next time.. im still working on the Navi Volume issue.

I was never able to figure out the navi volume, or the phone bluetooth issue. I ordered the new PX6 Android 10 HU. Shipping delayed for 20 days from today so, I'm going to reinstall the COMAND unit I receive the new on. Hopefully I won't have any issues with this new unit 🙏🏽🤞🏼

Diamondrichlb 03-16-2020 03:37 PM

I don't know why I didn't order the backup sensors when I bought the car, but I'm thinking of installing now. I'm hoping the wiring shown on the schematic is actually there.

For those of you who have this option, does the warning come thru the head unit screen with some type of indication? And if so, does it work with the AVINUSA unit?

2008 ML 320 CDI 03-16-2020 06:29 PM

Are you referring to the Parktronic System (PTS) sensors that are located on the front and rear bumpers? On the 2008 model, the PTS warning does not come through the Head Unit.

Diamondrichlb 03-16-2020 06:30 PM

I don’t know what it’s called. They send out a warning when you get close to something. How do you receive the warning?

2008 ML 320 CDI 03-16-2020 08:00 PM

There is a row of yellow and red LEDs on top of the dash - the closer you get to an obstacle in the front, the more of them light up. Then the same thing as you look back to reverse and nearing an obstacle - there's another row of LEDs right by the rear dome light that comes on. At the same time there is also a warning beep that sounds when a close obstacle is picked up in front of, or behind, the vehicle.

Only the reverse camera works through the Head Unit.

Diamondrichlb 03-16-2020 08:34 PM

Ah, that's very low tech eh? Probably changed over the years.

Thank you.

rich30769 05-21-2020 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 8001464)
I was never able to figure out the navi volume, or the phone bluetooth issue. I ordered the new PX6 Android 10 HU. Shipping delayed for 20 days from today so, I'm going to reinstall the COMAND unit I receive the new on. Hopefully I won't have any issues with this new unit 🙏🏽🤞🏼

Received the new radio two weeks ago, the PX6 Android 10. Hooked everything up the same way as the previous model but, now I have no sound, no reverse camera, can't connect to the internet, front camera not working, radio stations won't lock in, running wire from SIRIUS to back of radio and still nothing. The only thing that I can think of is, the MOST adapter burnt out when the other radio burnt out. I had reinstalled the factory radio and everything works fine. I am giving up for the day because I'm starting to get pissed.
Oh yeah, it automatically sets the factory radio 🤷🏽‍♂️

2008 ML 320 CDI 05-21-2020 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 8061837)
Received the new radio two weeks ago, the PX6 Android 10. Hooked everything up the same way as the previous model but, now I have no sound, no reverse camera, can't connect to the internet, front camera not working, radio stations won't lock in, running wire from SIRIUS to back of radio and still nothing. The only thing that I can think of is, the MOST adapter burnt out when the other radio burnt out. I had reinstalled the factory radio and everything works fine. I am giving up for the day because I'm starting to get pissed.
Oh yeah, it automatically sets the factory radio 🤷🏽‍♂️

It's strange that your factory radio works fine but the PX6 doesn't. Assuming there's nothing wrong with this new PX6, the problem must be with the hookup wiring, including the MOST adapter. If the problem is the MOST adapter, could it be that your original replacement unit (PX5 Android 8.0 or 9.0?) isn't damaged after all?

rich30769 05-22-2020 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI (Post 8062061)
It's strange that your factory radio works fine but the PX6 doesn't. Assuming there's nothing wrong with this new PX6, the problem must be with the hookup wiring, including the MOST adapter. If the problem is the MOST adapter, could it be that your original replacement unit (PX5 Android 8.0 or 9.0?) isn't damaged after all?

I did smell something burnt from the rear of my original PX5 8.0, it was coming from the HU not the MOST adapter. I ordered a new adapter today. I'm going to try at it again tomorrow.

rich30769 05-22-2020 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 8062118)
I did smell something burnt from the rear of my original PX5 8.0, it was coming from the HU not the MOST adapter. I ordered a new adapter today. I'm going to try at it again tomorrow.

Unit is up and running, internet is good, radio is good, sound is good, backup camera is working but, forward camera still isn't working. I re wired it and saw my mistake. Guess I'll have an extra MOST adapter. 🤷🏽‍♂️

2008 ML 320 CDI 05-23-2020 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 8062470)
Unit is up and running, internet is good, radio is good, sound is good, backup camera is working but, forward camera still isn't working. I re wired it and saw my mistake. Guess I'll have an extra MOST adapter. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Very good! Glad just about everything is up and running now. Sorry about the MOST adapter.Do you have pictures of the wiring/hookup?

rich30769 05-23-2020 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI (Post 8062924)
Very good! Glad just about everything is up and running now. Sorry about the MOST adapter.Do you have pictures of the wiring/hookup?

No pictures but, I have the red from the MOST adapter going to the cigarette lighter🤷🏽‍♂️ and the yellow going to the red from the MOST adapter going to the red connection block. This radio seems a little longer so, it's a pain in the ass to get the temperature control bezel off

2008 ML 320 CDI 05-23-2020 02:02 AM

OK. We'll watch this space.

WaveyKat 05-25-2020 12:01 AM

nice! any major Difference with the PX6 vs PX5

rich30769 05-27-2020 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 8064492)
nice! any major Difference with the PX6 vs PX5

Nope, nothing major in my opinion. Although the screen isn't locked so, it can be slightly rotated left to reduce glare, I'm guessing 🤷🏽‍♂️. Radio looks totally different, in a better way, imo. BUT, now I can't connect to the internet. It's almost as if my phone, Samsung Note 9 can't be discovered by the radio but, the radio and my phone picks up the house wifi. I had the same phone with the PX5 so, it can't be the phone. 😡

rich30769 05-27-2020 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 8066821)
Nope, nothing major in my opinion. Although the screen isn't locked so, it can be slightly rotated left to reduce glare, I'm guessing 🤷🏽‍♂️. Radio looks totally different, in a better way, imo. BUT, now I can't connect to the internet. It's almost as if my phone, Samsung Note 9 can't be discovered by the radio but, the radio and my phone picks up the house wifi. I had the same phone with the PX5 so, it can't be the phone. 😡

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...356eb6e561.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...70b1009e9a.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...475eff99f6.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...170831f52f.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1a5b3bbc78.jpg
This is basically the same layout except for the home screen

WaveyKat 05-27-2020 07:58 PM

wow nice the software is def. nice wonder if they can update the px5 software

avirfl 08-18-2020 05:00 PM

Nothing but problems

I have a 2007 GL450, i installed the AVIN head unit back in January and i have been fighting ghosts ever since. The AVIN folks have sent me software 10 times, but it is usually the wrong software. I have finally gotten almost everything working, but i have two issues that i cant figure out:

1 -- The backup camera only works sometimes, every 4th or 5th time i go in reverse the image will come up, other times, it is just a black screen
2 -- there is a very loud high pitched squeal that randomly occurs at least once every trip... the pitch is always the same but the volume and duration will change. it usually is so loud is scares the crap out of me while im driving. it will do it no matter what is connected or playing, radio, carplay (i have the wired adapter), or BT.

At this point my wife wants me to pull it out and put the original HU back in!

Please help!

Diamondrichlb 08-18-2020 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by avirfl (Post 8135929)
I have a 2007 GL450, i installed the AVIN head unit back in January and i have been fighting ghosts ever since. The AVIN folks have sent me software 10 times, but it is usually the wrong software. I have finally gotten almost everything working, but i have two issues that i cant figure out:

1 -- The backup camera only works sometimes, every 4th or 5th time i go in reverse the image will come up, other times, it is just a black screen
2 -- there is a very loud high pitched squeal that randomly occurs at least once every trip... the pitch is always the same but the volume and duration will change. it usually is so loud is scares the crap out of me while im driving. it will do it no matter what is connected or playing, radio, carplay (i have the wired adapter), or BT.

Please help!

I'm on my second unit and have none of the issues you have.

Does the backup camera work even with the unit off? Mine does. Don't know if that means anything at all.

It sounds to me like it's a wiring issue. Did you have someone install it for you? I installed my first unit myself and had a few minor issues, although nothing like you're having. I took it to a pro installer and he pulled the unit, disconnected some of my connections, reinstalled and it worked like a champ. I took the second unit to him for the initial install and have had no problems. If you have not had a pro look at it, I recommend it. Otherwise, I'm no help. Sorry.

amerc 08-20-2020 01:32 PM

I experienced these issues.
Ask AVINUSA to send you another unit. That will solve your back up camera issues. They will ask for a deposit or have you send back the unit you have before they send a replacement.

The noise is most likely coming from a loose connection in the MOST adapter. Recheck the connection.

WaveyKat 10-26-2020 08:29 AM

For anyone Looking to update their PX5 unit from Android-8 unit to Android-10

esphil 08-14-2021 11:03 PM

I just installed the latest unit in my ml63 w164. Im having a issue with wireless carplay, I have bluetooth and wifi on. It will connect and play audio and after a few seconds audio stops. I then have to disconnect bluetooth on phone and then it works fine when I turn off bluetooth. Any ideas?

Diamondrichlb 08-15-2021 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by esphil (Post 8395982)
I just installed the latest unit in my ml63 w164. Im having a issue with wireless carplay, I have bluetooth and wifi on. It will connect and play audio and after a few seconds audio stops. I then have to disconnect bluetooth on phone and then it works fine when I turn off bluetooth. Any ideas?

I’m not sure why it happens but from time to time my iPhone music drops out. If I wake my iPhone and see the Music display on the opening screen there is a small icon in the upper right of that display. Tap that and select Carkit. The audio returns for me. This doesn’t seem to influence the other functions of the unit.

I hope this helps.

esphil 08-15-2021 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 8396371)
I’m not sure why it happens but from time to time my iPhone music drops out. If I wake my iPhone and see the Music display on the opening screen there is a small icon in the upper right of that display. Tap that and select Carkit. The audio returns for me. This doesn’t seem to influence the other functions of the unit.

I hope this helps.

thanks for the reply. I might have figured it out last night. I updated the autoplay app which showed from 2020. It seems to have resolved all the carplay issues I had. You might try seeing if your app has a update.

Diamondrichlb 08-15-2021 04:55 PM

Where did you find the date of the App and where is the update?

esphil 08-15-2021 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 8396390)
Where did you find the date of the App and where is the update?

You can find it in the settings page of the autoplay app. If autoplay is open close it out via android. When you launch it go to settings then scroll all the way down. The headunit needs to be connected to wifi.

Diamondrichlb 08-15-2021 05:27 PM

I’m using iPhone. Are you talking about closing Autoplay on the head unit or Android phone?

while we’re talking - do you or anyone else reading this know how to adjust the audio volume? When listening to music I need to turn up the volume on the head unit, but then audible warnings from Waze are too loud. Same with Siri. Need to turn up to hear her when texting, but then warnings way too loud.

i know there are volume settings in the Factory settings, but have not seen instructions for what is what.

esphil 08-15-2021 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb (Post 8396410)
I’m using iPhone. Are you talking about closing Autoplay on the head unit or Android phone?

while we’re talking - do you or anyone else reading this know how to adjust the audio volume? When listening to music I need to turn up the volume on the head unit, but then audible warnings from Waze are too loud. Same with Siri. Need to turn up to hear her when texting, but then warnings way too loud.

i know there are volume settings in the Factory settings, but have not seen instructions for what is what.

I have it configured to auto connect when I start the car. So once its in carplay its hard to get to settings. There is a little icon at the top of android unit to open all apps within android. You can close all apps then relaunch and then quickly get into settings to adjust this. I just took some pics.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3d8f03c48b.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...67ef00df30.jpg
If its a new setup you might have the old file that the guide references in the docs that needs to be updated. I think there might be a way to boost the value of the amp in the factory settings part of settings, I haven't tried it yet though. I noticed I have to have the volume adjusted pretty loud though.

Diamondrichlb 08-15-2021 05:48 PM

Thank you

Diamondrichlb 08-16-2021 02:32 PM

Ok, I updated Autoplay and the Box. The good news is the phone will now call out correctly. The bad news is the Factory setting password has apparently changed. Can you give me the new password? It used to be 126. 🤔

esphil 08-16-2021 02:41 PM

It should be the same password, I used 126.

Diamondrichlb 08-16-2021 02:48 PM

Hmmm…..I’ll try again. I just watched a video online where he used 1314 as the password. I’ll try that too. I sent a message to AVIN, but not holding my breath on that response. 🙄😁

Thank you.

Pseudo Nim 09-05-2021 06:27 PM

Came across this thread while working on my 2007 R-Class (W251) installing an Android unit (not from AVIN, but I'm guessing they're all pretty similar). I'm running into two issues:

- my unit does not power down when I leave the car / lock it (it's almost like there's no sensing of ACC - just always on). Even an hour later, unit was still on. I have push button start; not sure if that works differently for ACC? Even opening the door does not work.
- I can't get the backup camera to work. I tried using a FAKRA to RCA adapter, but I think my NTG2 unit did not use FAKRA for the camera, oops. Can anyone help me figure out which pin I should tap into for the camera video signal? I read the entire thread and it looks like people use a pigtail and tap into the harness, but I can’t seem to find any posts that actually showed WHICH pin. [edit] I think this link is what I am looking for. I'm going to try this tomorrow, should work.

EWT 09-06-2021 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8410980)
Came across this thread while working on my 2007 R-Class (W251) installing an Android unit (not from AVIN, but I'm guessing they're all pretty similar). I'm running into two issues:

- my unit does not power down when I leave the car / lock it (it's almost like there's no sensing of ACC - just always on). Even an hour later, unit was still on. I have push button start; not sure if that works differently for ACC? Even opening the door does not work.
- I can't get the backup camera to work. I tried using a FAKRA to RCA adapter, but I think my NTG2 unit did not use FAKRA for the camera, oops. Can anyone help me figure out which pin I should tap into for the camera video signal? I read the entire thread and it looks like people use a pigtail and tap into the harness, but I can’t seem to find any posts that actually showed WHICH pin. [edit] I think this link is what I am looking for. I'm going to try this tomorrow, should work.

That wire worked for my Pioneer head unit.

esphil 09-06-2021 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8410980)

Thats what I had to do. For certain years you can't use the quick connector, for my 08 ml63 I had to tap in for it to work.

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by esphil (Post 8411354)
Thats what I had to do. For certain years you can't use the quick connector, for my 08 ml63 I had to tap in for it to work.

Yep. Working on it right now, I expect it should work.

Any thoughts on my ACC problem? If you have a ML63, you probably had the same thing - I have a R63, so push button start etc. Did your experience any issues with the device staying on after ignition off?

esphil 09-06-2021 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8411369)
Yep. Working on it right now, I expect it should work.

Any thoughts on my ACC problem? If you have a ML63, you probably had the same thing - I have a R63, so push button start etc. Did your experience any issues with the device staying on after ignition off?

I did not run into that issue, I'm not sure who made the radio but the harness might be different. You might need to change the power to go to the switching. I vaguely remember some information about that in a post or a video. Are you using a most box? I had to wire mine to the harness and theres some specific wiring at least for the AVIN, I wonder if your most interface is staying on. Here is the connection guide they provide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5c...koXKhv32odrZtA

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 12:29 PM

In the meantime, happy to report success with the camera. Made my own cable using an RCA cable and a pin pulled from an old connector and just connected it to the white wire pin from the quad lock. That connector is unused, btw, so can just remove it like the fiber connector and you’re good.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...972be865b.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...611ccb795.jpeg

FM isn’t working, of course. I have these wires:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fc3eb49f9.jpeg

But connecting the two blue wires didn’t work. I guess I need to run power from somewhere else to AMP-CON? Maybe once I wire the fiber box…

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by esphil (Post 8411370)
I did not run into that issue, I'm not sure who made the radio but the harness might be different. You might need to change the power to go to the switching. I vaguely remember some information about that in a post or a video. Are you using a most box? I had to wire mine to the harness and theres some specific wiring at least for the AVIN, I wonder if your most interface is staying on. Here is the connection guide they provide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5c...koXKhv32odrZtA

Thanks - let me read this. I wonder if my seller wired the quad lock wrong … that would be great. So for sure you have push button start and it works for door open/unit off, right? Just confirming it before I rip it apart because on my R56 Mini, after all that work, I discovered the push button versions actually don’t have an accessory wire. Go figure. So it has to be fully off every time the engine switches off. facepalm

esphil 09-06-2021 12:49 PM

Yes I have the push button start. Part of the reason why I went with AVIN is because of the amount of information and support out there to integrate it. With the generic android headunits you never really know if something is wired differently. Actually the whole reason why I upgrade to this is because my stock unit was never turning off despite the screen appearing to be off, it was still drawing 1.1 amps.

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by esphil (Post 8411434)
Yes I have the push button start. Part of the reason why I went with AVIN is because of the amount of information and support out there to integrate it. With the generic android headunits you never really know if something is wired differently. Actually the whole reason why I upgrade to this is because my stock unit was never turning off despite the screen appearing to be off, it was still drawing 1.1 amps.

Interesting! I wonder if my stock unit did that, too. Yeah, AVIN looked good, but I thought they fell a little bit behind on specs, which is why I went with one of the more recent ones (Ownice). I may yet come to regret it, return it and go with the Avin. :D

Btw, have you looked into upgrading the OEM camera? I'm happy mine works, but the video quality is pretty awful (as is the angle). Tempted to see if I can solder a "newer" camera on.

esphil 09-06-2021 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8411437)
Interesting! I wonder if my stock unit did that, too. Yeah, AVIN looked good, but I thought they fell a little bit behind on specs, which is why I went with one of the more recent ones (Ownice). I may yet come to regret it, return it and go with the Avin. :D

Btw, have you looked into upgrading the OEM camera? I'm happy mine works, but the video quality is pretty awful (as is the angle). Tempted to see if I can solder a "newer" camera on.

Yeah the camera quality is honestly terrible on the stock one now seeing it on a bigger screen. Haven't looked into it but I'd definitely do it if it wasn't too hard.

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by esphil (Post 8411448)
Yeah the camera quality is honestly terrible on the stock one now seeing it on a bigger screen. Haven't looked into it but I'd definitely do it if it wasn't too hard.

Having looked on eBay, it looks like the OEM camera has four wires in its harness. My *guess* would be one is video, one is power, and the two others, who knows, I should pull up WIS to look, but I'm lazy, heh. The problem is everyone wants $90+ for the OEM camera... while all I want is the actual harness so I can make my own wire, without cutting the OEM harness / camera. I'll try to keep an eye out on scrapyards in case I ever come across a poor condition OEM one, and if I do, my plan is basically to get an eBay R-class camera (i.e. not the license plate mount one, but the one that goes into the OEM mount spot), then wire it into the OEM harness, and see if I can make it work or not.

Pseudo Nim 09-06-2021 01:59 PM

Right OK. My pin 15, which is supposed to be switched, seems to be ALWAYS providing power. Hmm.

Update: I solved it! Posted my solution in the R-Class forum as well since I was also trolling that thread.

TLDR: disconnect pin 16 on the quadlock.

Detail: Pin 15 is supposed to be hot all the time. I was on the wrong path. The pin that's "supposedly" ACC is pin 16. the problem is that if you have the MOST bus, it seems like the wire that these Chinese units use for ACC, which maps to the "MOST wakeup wire", i.e. pin 16, is hot all the time. This means that the radio will neither turn off nor on; it will just stay on all the time. A guy installing one in his S-Class with an older COMAND wrote about this. So it hit me: it seems like the wakeup signal is NOT sent over pin 16, but maybe over CANbus? Either way: I pulled pin 16 from the quadlock, taped it up, and bam, everything works - unit turns on and off with ignition, and sound follows ignition, too. Somewhat bizarrely, FM started working, too - I connected AMP-CON to ANT, but previously it wasn't working right; but after pulling pin 16, it now is. Search me why.

So my guess is anyone who hasn't had this problem with a Chinese unit had a harness where pin 16 was disconnected.

Pseudo Nim 09-08-2021 01:18 PM

Hmm. I almost have everything, but AM/FM antenna booster isn’t working. I looked at AMP-CON but my car’s harness actually has nothing on pin 14 that the harness’s AMP-CON connects to.

Has anyone tried any other pins on a 2007 (NTG2) harness?

TX07GL450 09-09-2021 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8413076)
Hmm. I almost have everything, but AM/FM antenna booster isn’t working. I looked at AMP-CON but my car’s harness actually has nothing on pin 14 that the harness’s AMP-CON connects to.

Has anyone tried any other pins on a 2007 (NTG2) harness?

This is what worked for me. If you have a power control wire, you can connect it to ant power.
if not, connect Acc wire or amp power to ant power.
basically we want to give antenna power only when system is on.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a94bb69bc9.jpg

Pseudo Nim 09-09-2021 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TX07GL450 (Post 8413635)
This is what worked for me. If you have a power control wire, you can connect it to ant power.
if not, connect Acc wire or amp power to ant power.
basically we want to give antenna power only when system is on.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a94bb69bc9.jpg

The problem on my harness is that there’s nothing in the pin that AMP CON goes to - that’s pin 14 and it’s listed as NC on the diagram, and there’s no pin there on the vehicle’s
side. So I’m currently unsure into what I should feed the 12V line. :(

Also, looks like I messed up - I fed +12V to the MOST box and the car died overnight. I’m not sure if it’s because the navi was on (the screen was off for sure) or the MOST box kept the amp on all night. Hrmmm.

[EDIT] would you happen to have a closer picture of your harness to see where that blue P.CNTR wire is going on the quad lock?

TX07GL450 09-10-2021 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8413674)
The problem on my harness is that there’s nothing in the pin that AMP CON goes to - that’s pin 14 and it’s listed as NC on the diagram, and there’s no pin there on the vehicle’s
side. So I’m currently unsure into what I should feed the 12V line. :(

Also, looks like I messed up - I fed +12V to the MOST box and the car died overnight. I’m not sure if it’s because the navi was on (the screen was off for sure) or the MOST box kept the amp on all night. Hrmmm.

[EDIT] would you happen to have a closer picture of your harness to see where that blue P.CNTR wire is going on the quad lock?

I did the same mistake in terms of battery drain overnight. Following picture shows final working power connections.
pink wire is amp control
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...10e705c6dc.jpg

TX07GL450 09-10-2021 04:37 AM

Some more pictures to help understand the connection from chines units

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0940c345dd.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c338f3fac5.jpg

Pseudo Nim 09-10-2021 10:04 AM

Thanks for this. Is there any chance you have the vehicle side diagram, or at least a very close up picture of the vehicle side big connector? I really want to know what pins you have on your harness… because as I was saying, I can find ACC (from my lighter, as my main harness, oddly, doesn’t have one) but I don’t think there’s anywhere I can plug it into on the harness to wake the FM amp :(

TX07GL450 09-10-2021 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 8414592)
Thanks for this. Is there any chance you have the vehicle side diagram, or at least a very close up picture of the vehicle side big connector? I really want to know what pins you have on your harness… because as I was saying, I can find ACC (from my lighter, as my main harness, oddly, doesn’t have one) but I don’t think there’s anywhere I can plug it into on the harness to wake the FM amp :(

I took those pictures back in January when I did the install. I was planning to do a write up but just haven't gotten around to do it. So, unfortunately those are all pictures that I have for now.

You don't need ACC. For MOST adapter, you can tap into 12 volt from vehicle side harness which you probably already have, the ACC connection on MOST adaptor is to be connected to AMP Power from Android Unit. So, basically ACC gets the wake up signal from android unit. Therefore MOST adaptor ACC <---> amp control or AMP power from android unit.

For FM power, you can give it either Amp power which will make FM antenna on all the time as long as car is running, or you can give it auto ANT which will turn it on only when FM radio is selected on android unit.

Now your last question about which wire for vehicle side FM power. I found this picture of my unit so it is number 5 and number 6 connection. This picture is from an ebay listing.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5eacc98fec.jpg

Pseudo Nim 09-10-2021 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TX07GL450 (Post 8414616)
I took those pictures back in January when I did the install. I was planning to do a write up but just haven't gotten around to do it. So, unfortunately those are all pictures that I have for now.

You don't need ACC. For MOST adapter, you can tap into 12 volt from vehicle side harness which you probably already have, the ACC connection on MOST adaptor is to be connected to AMP Power from Android Unit. So, basically ACC gets the wake up signal from android unit. Therefore MOST adaptor ACC <---> amp control or AMP power from android unit.

For FM power, you can give it either Amp power which will make FM antenna on all the time as long as car is running, or you can give it auto ANT which will turn it on only when FM radio is selected on android unit.

Now your last question about which wire for vehicle side FM power. I found this picture of my unit so it is number 5 and number 6 connection. This picture is from an ebay listing.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5eacc98fec.jpg

Wait a second. You’re suggesting that the ACC red wire on the MOST adapter should be going to AMP CON on the android… woah. I didn’t even think of that. That’s a good idea. I’m going to try this. This should indeed solve the power drain. Cool.

That would just leave the FM antenna. I see it’s wires 5/6 on your photo, but unless the Android unit sends a CAN signal to wake up the radio (which I doubt), I need something to receive the switched 12V from the AMP power wire … and none of the wiring schematics seen to suggest there’s any antenna power wire on the vehicle side. Hrm. I feel like I saw pin 13 on one diagram, might just plug that in and see if a fuse blows … lol

Misha_ 03-27-2022 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rich30769 (Post 7895816)
No microphone came with it, I connected it to the OEM microphone with the adapter that came with it. No music info shows on my dash screen, only the radio stations when I pull that screen up which allows me to change stations via the steering wheel controls

Hey Rich, this is probably way out of date, but in case you still could not get the phone to work I will post this.
​this .I seem to remember from my w164 android that Bluetooth phone was output through only front or only rear channel. You may not hear anything because you have the 'wrong' channel plugged into the fiber converter (RR and RL vs FR and FL). This may not be the case on your unit but may be worth a shot?

Misha_ 03-27-2022 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by WaveyKat (Post 7682529)

Hey WaveyKat, question for you. If the Sirius tuner under the rear seat provides FM reception to Command, then there must be a connection from it to Command, right? Can't one just use that connection and connect it directly to fakra antenna on one side and to the android on the other? (Eliminating the need for the long fakra)
Or is the tuner a computer of its own and talks to command through can is or something?

phiquach 08-15-2022 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by avirfl (Post 8135929)

Please help!

Hey, Did you ever figure out the high pitch? I am having the same issue

Thanks

Dewey Dog 12-04-2022 11:47 AM

I know that this thread is a bit dated and I've read every post but hoping that WaveyKat, Icey, one of the Rich's or anyone else can help me. I have a 2009 ML350 4matic with Harmon Kardon. I don't really want to get into the HU replacment... yet. My SiriusXM (orig equipment) reception has become spotty with "No Service" message coming and going. I know there is a satellite control unit (see pic from WaveyKat) under rear left seat. I believe that an antenna for the satellite then comes out of here and goes to the flat antenna in the roof near the hatch. I want to try and just plug a generic satellite antenna into this control unit and see if that solves the problem. I purchased one to replace the BLUE top wire coming out of the satellite unit under the seat but what I purchased does not fit. The connector on what I purchased is FAKRA but a slightly different config. I'm figuring that I could "make it work" but won't go that route until more investigating so I can return the part if I have to. It looks to me like you all were focusing on the double white FAKRA connection (middle of the unit) trying to get your FM to work.

Question: Do you think the top blue FAKRA plug is the antenna for the satellite and if so, by replacing that, do you think that could solve my issue? I'm realizing that if this does not work than I will then try replacing the satellite unit itself and if that does not work then I'll have to go the HU replacement if I want SiriusXM back. FYI, everything else works fine (BT/FM/AM/backup cam/steering wheel controls.

Sorry for lengthy first post!!

anothermarcus 12-19-2022 12:11 PM

For those that cannot find the double fakra under the rear seat, here it is!

Thank you WaveyKat for your great post.

Honestly, I have been struggling with installation of my AVIN unit, these two videos helped a lot.

1)
2)

However, did not address the radio reception issue. When I read this post, I thought, aha, I'll try it, however when I opened my back seat I did not find the HD Tuner, instead I found this:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c68da73c3a.png

Digging deeper, I found that what I was looking for was actually bolted underneath of this thing:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3fcd0242b0.png

Unlike WaveyKat I saw that it was a double-fakra instead of a single one, probably one of them supplies power and the other is antenna.
This setup did a "good enough" job, I might try to plug the other one in for more power to the antenna. (Non purple side for the better reception)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a97abc33fc.png

anothermarcus 12-20-2022 11:10 AM

Never Mind

After hooking up the AM/FM this way, eventually the system started buzzing during a drive, like a bad ground-loop, trying to troubleshoot ended up with popping noises from Optic decoder.
Overall, it would be great if the headunit had some proper wiring instructions and not require a separate optic decoder, better harness to adapt the factory one.

I have never had so many complications installing an after market head unit as with this one, lol. I reverted, no strong signal, but at least I'm not getting an annoying feedback buzz.

Originally Posted by anothermarcus (Post 8688440)
Thank you WaveyKat for your great post.

Honestly, I have been struggling with installation of my AVIN unit, these two videos helped a lot.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryoAOcJWna8
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBhNSLd24g

However, did not address the radio reception issue. When I read this post, I thought, aha, I'll try it, however when I opened my back seat I did not find the HD Tuner, instead I found this:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c68da73c3a.png

Digging deeper, I found that what I was looking for was actually bolted underneath of this thing:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3fcd0242b0.png

Unlike WaveyKat I saw that it was a double-fakra instead of a single one, probably one of them supplies power and the other is antenna.
This setup did a "good enough" job, I might try to plug the other one in for more power to the antenna. (Non purple side for the better reception)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a97abc33fc.png

CXXXV 01-22-2023 04:01 PM

I have a 2008 GL450. However, mine does not seem to behave as described in this thread. What I read appears to say that once the MOST adapter is powered then sound should work. I can clearly see the MOST adapter working. However, no sound.

I have connected MOST ACC to Android AMP CON. Still the AMP does not wake up. However, some times it comes on. No idea what is going on. I don't understand how power to the MOST adapter wakes up the Amplifier.

Update: AMP comes on after 5-10 mins.

Dewey Dog 01-23-2023 08:45 AM

Turns out that my SDAR satellite unit which has blue Fakra (Satellite) and middle double fakra (AM/FM) plugs was defective. Sent unit to Hi-Tech Electronics in Van Nuys, CA who confirmed defective satellite module in unit and that the AM/FM module was fine. They replaced in one day and sent back. Works perfect now and cost $285 plus shipping.Hi-Tech Electronics

7049 Valjean Ave.

Van Nuys, CA 91406

www.HitechServ.com

818-785-8085