GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Air Suspension Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ML 500
Air Suspension Leak

Hello, looking for some help here, I believe I have a leak on the left driver side of my 2008 GL 450, when I park I hear a hissing sound, the compressor still pumps it up in the morning and its just on raised level until I park and turn the vehicle off.

Do I need to replace the air suspension strut? I don't think its the compressor but also, I am looking up some parts and a couple struts sell with ADS and without ADS, is it possible to reuse my current ADS or should I just purchase with ADS? Thank you and greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by jayrawk; 12-19-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by jayrawk
Hello, looking for some help here, I believe I have a leak on the left driver side of my 2008 GL 450, when I park I hear a hissing sound, the compressor still pumps it up in the morning and its just on raised level until I park and turn the vehicle off.

Do I need to replace the air suspension strut? I don't think its the compressor but also, I am looking up some parts and a couple struts sell with ADS and without ADS, is it possible to reuse my current ADS or should I just purchase with ADS? Thank you and greatly appreciate it!
Are you sure you have ads? It was a rare option.

You cannot purchase a non ads for your ads strut. Purchase th be whole strut unit instead of the air bag. It will make your life easier during install.

Replace the front sway bars while you are at it to. They have to be removed anyway to get to the strut. They are weak and fail anyways so better off replacing when it is easy.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ML 500
Originally Posted by kombifan

Are you sure you have ads? It was a rare option.

You cannot purchase a non ads for your ads strut. Purchase th be whole strut unit instead of the air bag. It will make your life easier during install.

Replace the front sway bars while you are at it to. They have to be removed anyway to get to the strut. They are weak and fail anyways so better off replacing when it is easy.
Thanks for your reply. I figured it out, I don't have ADS, so now I know which to get. I found another thread in this forum and it mentioned ADS is the option with sport, etc. mode for suspension, and if I don't have that (which I don't, I only have the rise option) then I don't have ADS. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Thanks for your reply. I figured it out, I don't have ADS, so now I know which to get. I found another thread in this forum and it mentioned ADS is the option with sport, etc. mode for suspension, and if I don't have that (which I don't, I only have the rise option) then I don't have ADS. Thanks again!
use fcp euro for your arnott or Bilstein shocks and struts.

Or direct with arnnott on their website. Both give the peace of mind of a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 GL550, 2013 GL450 (sold), 2010 GL350 (sold)
GL450s with ADS are very uncommon. If you don't have the 'SPORT' & 'COMF' button between the driver seat climate controls and the ESP (traction control) button then you don't have ADS.