MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   GL350 maintenance (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/730904-gl350-maintenance.html)

RileyRRC 12-22-2018 08:38 AM

GL350 maintenance

My wife just bought a 2011 GL350 Bluetech with a decent extended warranty. Having owned a Range Rover Supercharge for the last 7 years, I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance. We had 161K on the Rover until she was hit and totaled. Never had an engine issue. Now we have this beast. I've read all of the stories on this and other forums regarding sludging. Fortunately we have most of the manintance records. Unfortunately the oil changes were done every 10k, at either a MB indy shop or the dealer. The EGR valve has just been replaced. The oil cooler was replaced in 2015, along with engine mounts, front struts, cooler and turbo lines. Also the transmission filter and fluid has been changed twice What do I need to do in order to get any sludge out and keep this thing running? Im a stickler for oil changes every 5K. Current mileage is 82K.

kombifan 12-22-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by RileyRRC (Post 7636371)
My wife just bought a 2011 GL350 Bluetech with a decent extended warranty. Having owned a Range Rover Supercharge for the last 7 years, I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance. We had 161K on the Rover until she was hit and totaled. Never had an engine issue. Now we have this beast. I've read all of the stories on this and other forums regarding sludging. Fortunately we have most of the manintance records. Unfortunately the oil changes were done every 10k, at either a MB indy shop or the dealer. The EGR valve has just been replaced. The oil cooler was replaced in 2015, along with engine mounts, front struts, cooler and turbo lines. Also the transmission filter and fluid has been changed twice What do I need to do in order to get any sludge out and keep this thing running? Im a stickler for oil changes every 5K. Current mileage is 82K.

5k oil changes and tune out the emissions system. Tunes are available from $800 I believe.
Liqui molly engine flush
Liqui molly ceratec protection.
Liqui molly oil is your best bet. I'm not sure if 229.52 is such a great oil by reviews. It seems to emphasise efficiency.

Other preemptive repairs. Sway bars front and rear
Levelling rods. Transmission oil pan.

What company? Not all extended warranty companies are made equal.

kombifan 12-22-2018 05:17 PM

RileyRRC 12-22-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan (Post 7636680)

Thanks for the suggestions on the engine flush. I'll go that direction right after the holidays. I have read through the link several times the past few days. Wish I read it before last Saturday. We could have gotten a nice GL550 with the same miles a year older. Anyways, I will continue with my 5K oil changes and engine flush. Might do two flushes in over the next few months. The warranty is through warranty solutions and have read decent reviews about them on both this and other forums. It's just extra cheap insurance for a major engine repair. I know that they may not cover everything and I'm ok with that. I'm coming from 7 years of Range Rover ownership and so far it seems that the part cost are running about half of what Land Rover charges.

quron_southwest 12-22-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan (Post 7636512)

5k oil changes and tune out the emissions system. Tunes are available from $800 I believe.
Liqui molly engine flush
Liqui molly ceratec protection.
Liqui molly oil is your best bet. I'm not sure if 229.52 is such a great oil by reviews. It seems to emphasise efficiency.

Other preemptive repairs. Sway bars front and rear
Levelling rods. Transmission oil pan.

What company? Not all extended warranty companies are made equal.

+1

kombifan 12-22-2018 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by RileyRRC (Post 7636805)
Thanks for the suggestions on the engine flush. I'll go that direction right after the holidays. I have read through the link several times the past few days. Wish I read it before last Saturday. We could have gotten a nice GL550 with the same miles a year older. Anyways, I will continue with my 5K oil changes and engine flush. Might do two flushes in over the next few months. The warranty is through warranty solutions and have read decent reviews about them on both this and other forums. It's just extra cheap insurance for a major engine repair. I know that they may not cover everything and I'm ok with that. I'm coming from 7 years of Range Rover ownership and so far it seems that the part cost are running about half of what Land Rover charges.

no 7 day return policy? It might be best to ask the dealer you purchased from just in case.

Man...2010 gl550.. That would have been nice too!

I really don't know that company. My administration company is Mr claims the warranty group, b ought through Carmax. Great company and pays everything the mb dealer asks.

kombifan 12-23-2018 05:52 PM

Since you said you are serious on preventive maintenance ; you should get axmcquainted with fcp euro and their life time replacement warranty. Anything and everything gets lifetime replacement when it wears out or fails. Oil, pads, sway bars etc. Except for consumables like the kit I'm sending you ; everything can be sent back for a full refund when you make a new purchase.

Here is step 1 and 2 for diesel preventative maintenance

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/6-c...i-moly-lmk0009

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/6-c...i-moly-lmk0010

kombifan 12-23-2018 06:03 PM

And probably the only oil you should buy
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...-6421800009-9l

Hint hint it was very subtle, but in every engine treatments kit in the information part it subtlely mentions a 5k oil change interval ...

RileyRRC 12-23-2018 11:19 PM

Thanks for the links. Good stuff. I placed an order tonight.

manne 01-29-2019 10:18 PM

Stephen service center is recommending 15w-30 redline diesel motor oil, not sure how this will help the overall reliability. Mercedes recommended oil spec is 5w-30.

Not sure how increasing the oil viscosity will help oil going into the intake and burning, also if oil and fuel are mixing and getting burned before the DPF filter, will thicker oil and fuel mixture affect the burning in DPF ?

did anyone followed the recommendations given by Stephen service center ?

Thanks

alx 01-30-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by manne (Post 7667789)
Stephen service center is recommending 15w-30 redline diesel motor oil, not sure how this will help the overall reliability. Mercedes recommended oil spec is 5w-30.

Not sure how increasing the oil viscosity will help oil going into the intake and burning, also if oil and fuel are mixing and getting burned before the DPF filter, will thicker oil and fuel mixture affect the burning in DPF ?

did anyone followed the recommendations given by Stephen service center ?

Thanks

wow... those om642 are sure expensive to maintain. Now a dose of reality- 10k oil changes are just fine .the om642 does not sludge much at all. I have several trucks with over 350k miles on them and oil was never drained- was always sucked from top. Use whatever oil Mercedes is telling you to use. Don’t get fancy. Don’t use additives. Ever. The only suggestion I have for how to drive it is don’t rev it past 2500 rpms in a regular basis. That engine does not like rpms.

Good luck

sak335 01-30-2019 01:56 PM

My timing chain stretched at 55k miles using those 10k mile intervals and recommended MB oils. Something is causing all the problems that the OM642 engine has and I'm not going to just keep doing what lead to that problem. I've changed my drain interval to 6,000 miles since I replaced the chain. I'm not using any additives but my reading indicates that the reduction in zinc and other additives to meet EPA rules is what is leading to timing chain issues.

I'm using Pentosin Superperformance oil now (MB approved but still 5W 30). I need to look at the Redline oil for summer use. I believe that it is NOT MB approved but Redline believes it meets the specs for ash, etc.?