GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear sam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
Rear sam

Stupid question but where is the rear sam located? Is it below the subwoofer? Ive been having lots of issues lately with this pile and i believe its due because of the rear sam
Old 02-14-2019, 12:31 AM

gl450 530i
I have undervoltage at circuit 30 in component n10 fault code 9045
Old 02-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GL450
The rear SAM is in the extreme rear side compartment on the right (passenger) side. It has a twist lock on the door. The SAM is the black metal box mounted at the bottom of the compartment. There are fuses in this compartment as well.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yes, it’s underneath the subwoofer.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by KWStan
The rear SAM is in the extreme rear side compartment on the right (passenger) side. It has a twist lock on the door. The SAM is the black metal box mounted at the bottom of the compartment. There are fuses in this compartment as well.
Check for water leaks while you're back there, also for hydraulic fluid from the rear hatch opening mechanism.
Obviously something had to cause the rear signals acquisition module to fail. Corrosion to terminals caused by fluid leaks are typically the culprit.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
If you need to get to the Rear SAM, you’ll likely need to take out the spare tire and pull back some trim to access it. Although you can see the Rear SAM by opening the small access panel on the passenger’s side by the hatch, it is quite a ways down in. It’s nearly impossible to access the cables, let alone remove and inspect the SAM. Once you go in through the spare tire area though, you’ll have no problem unplugging the cables and removing the assembly for inspection. I’ve been debugging a nonfunctional hatch latch assembly for a couple of months now and dug in there a couple of weeks back.

I also recommend the iCarsoft MBII OBD reader ($150 on Amazon). It allowed me to read codes directly from the Rear SAM to debug (although not yet solve) my hatch issue. I went from shooting in the dark to being able to monitor error codes and on the fly signals. It’s so inexpensive compared to replacement parts, everyone who does DIY Mercedes work should own one.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:50 AM

gl450 530i
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
If you need to get to the Rear SAM, you’ll likely need to take out the spare tire and pull back some trim to access it. Although you can see the Rear SAM by opening the small access panel on the passenger’s side by the hatch, it is quite a ways down in. It’s nearly impossible to access the cables, let alone remove and inspect the SAM. Once you go in through the spare tire area though, you’ll have no problem unplugging the cables and removing the assembly for inspection. I’ve been debugging a nonfunctional hatch latch assembly for a couple of months now and dug in there a couple of weeks back.

I also recommend the iCarsoft MBII OBD reader ($150 on Amazon). It allowed me to read codes directly from the Rear SAM to debug (although not yet solve) my hatch issue. I went from shooting in the dark to being able to monitor error codes and on the fly signals. It’s so inexpensive compared to replacement parts, everyone who does DIY Mercedes work should own one.

I have the star diag... just grimlines my issue now is with the most fibee optic my rsdio is stuck on mb logo
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450 4matic
Check for water under drivers seat (battery tray under passenger seat also collects water). Amplifier is under there. Mine was submerged in about 4 inches of standing water.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk

where do you find the codes that it gives off? I have several "historic" codes even though the problem is persist. I would like to look them up but haven't been able to find anything on them.