MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164-77/)
-   -   New2me 2010 GL550 first day (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/738183-new2me-2010-gl550-first-day.html)

CharlzO 03-10-2019 12:22 AM

New2me 2010 GL550 first day

This isn't a plea for help (yet) but rather just a mini introduction after taking delivery of my 2010 GL550. I do have an introduction in the other thread too, but this is just about the car specifically. Don't have to read any if you don't want. Any feedback graciously accepted.

It took me a little searching, and one failed dealer attempt before finally locating a GL for me, within the budget I had set for myself (under 20k). I'm not opposed to working on my own cars for anything short of major engine/transmission dissection, so something with higher miles that might need upcoming or refreshed maintenance doesn't bother me. Yes, it would be likely cheaper in the long run to spend more up front, but that's not an option for me right now. I also found myself on a time crunch as my '03 XJR was getting jealous that I was looking elsewhere and didn't want to play nicely with tires.

I live in upstate NY, the Southern Central part to be more precise. Luckily for me, I found the GL in... Virginia. So after a 12 hour work day yesterday and 4 hour bowling shindig I got dragged to afterwards, I left at 3:30 AM this morning, and my step-dad and I drove down. Took a look at the car, looked clean. One tiny nick on the passenger rear door by the edge, but otherwise no damage or rust. Fresh fluid changes all around, new brakes, tires are still good (75% or more on all 4), no leaking I could see, no sagging, and the raising/lowering works flawless. Drove smooth, 110k miles on the clock so it's basically just broken in at this point. (My Jag was bought with 100k, has 217k now. My BMW before that was bought at 103k I think, had 234k when I sold it, still kicking around town. Anyone afraid of high mileage is just missing out on the fun part of life). We then drove off to get some dinner, and then I pointed him on the right highway, and took my own time coming back up, swinging by some back roads to dirty it up and make sure it didn't rattle apart. All in all, an eight hour drive back with an untested-to-me purchase, and all went flawlessly. So here are my issues/thoughts so far, for anyone still reading:

• It is bigger than I thought. However, I park it next to a newer Explorer, and it's virtually identical in size, within inches. Yet standing next to the Explorer, that doesn't feel as big. Weird. But it drives a lot smaller. The only way I know the size is looking in the mirror allllll the way to the tailgate.
  • Plenty of "get" to it. My XJR was quick for what it is and faster to 60 by a second or so on paper, but this actually has a faster feeling to it once the revs jump in 1st and 2nd. Pulls like a monster once you get above 3k or so.
  • I have NO idea how to use half of it. I had skimmed the manual for highlights and so I knew to check for the spare tire, and the first aid kit, and make sure I knew where all the buttons were but still no clue on half. More on that in a moment.
  • The passenger 2nd row seat handle seems finicky. Has to be pulled to the absolute maximum to release the seat back. I haven't searched for solutions or causes as I just got home, and wanted to post this before I pass out.
  • The 3rd row left (drivers) side power seat worked the first couple times I tested it. Stopped at my dads to show it off, and it went halfway and just died. I was able to fortunately pull it back into lock so the error message went away. I'm guessing motor? Another thing to look up tomorrow.
  • I have the illuminated door sill plates. Call me a dork, but that was a pleasant surprise that I didn't know was on the car.
  • Likewise the aftermarket remote starter. I actually was getting ready to order the MidCity as I like it's simplicity. But this works for now (well, so far as much as I've figured out HOW to use it) I need to research the part number on the fobs and see exactly what it is. There are bits I don't like. But I also don't want to un-do anything if it's been pieced into the car to a degree that removing it might hose things up if I'm not careful.
  • I'll have to remove the mirror tint off the front windows to comply with NYS law, but at least the rest can stay. (This is a really stupid state for that, if no one has had the pleasure of discerning why an SUV can have the rear windows tinted but a car cannot...)
  • And I have to polish the headlights, as it should be obvious to see. Lights work fine, but I'm sure it'll look a lot better when it's done. I have a kit, just need a sealer.
So today was all about driving it home, tomorrow will be more trying to figure things out with the manual downloaded, so I can try to decipher answers. For example, Cycling through the cluster brings up a phone option that says "Bluetooth Ready". Um, ready for what? And where? There's nothing in the center console like I had seen mentioned other places. There's a little black box with an ipod connector, USB and 3.5mm jack in the glovebox. Module of some sort? Dunno, haven't had time to look yet. And then to find out if there's a way to adjust the scanning of radio stations, from scan, to single increase/decrease options. Sometimes I know right where the station is, but can't zone in. I did find the direct dialing in of the station with the * key so that does work too I guess, but still would like the other way too.

So far, very happy with the vehicle. Just a shade under 20 mpg highway coming back up, which wasn't bad at all. Got the same in the Jag. I expect this will do a little worse on the hills than my other, but in the law of averages, shouldn't be too much worse off. And we're supposed to get snow tomorrow, so I can make sure I made the right choice by going SUV this round!

Obligatory first picture of the car after taking ownership. Forgot my good camera and didn't have a good day for photo ops. Soon enough.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d401162ab.jpg

CharlzO 03-16-2019 03:35 PM

One Week Update

Continuing my journal with a one week update and first impressions.

Odometer sitting quite literally at 111,111 miles after getting to work. Revisiting my thoughts and issues from before, the 3rd row driver's side (left) seat works again. However, it does have a loud click, or clunking, or thunking sound as it raises and lowers. Sounds like a tooth skipping or something. My original plan was to open the seat up and look, but I found a used one for pretty cheap, so I'm going to just order that and swap it out in the warmer days to come. I did finally figure out how to use most of the functions, and learned new tricks. Was hoping the remote starter was also coded to the Panic button on the fob but no such luck that I can find, but whatever. I did figure out how the KeylessGo system works in conjunction with it. When I bought it, the button was in the cupholder and the key was being used. I had tried putting the button in and nothing seemed to happen other than cycling through the ACC modes. Turns out I just wasn't pushing my foot on the brake first. Now I'm fine with it. Heck, if the car would automatically lock whenever I walked say, 50' away, I'd just swallow the key and be done with it!

I had no idea the headrests extended not only forward, but also could be molded and curved? Who does this! And it feels quite nice :)

I do have to replace the thermostat. Throwing a code for it, and is only running about 80 C, so just under where it should be, and just going to change it and be done with it. Ordered some E sockets to prep.

I have a ever-so-faint whistle from, I think, the sunroof. The weather got cold again, but should warm up, so I'll get some painters tape and start taping areas to narrow down where. Not sure yet hot to approach a fix for that, really, but at least if I can figure out where it's coming from, that's a start.

Mileage has been a consistent 17 mpg to and from work, which is pretty much on par with my XJR. I certainly can't complain.

Plans as of now, are to keep an eye out for the MB cargo mat system for the 3rd row seats and cargo area. I love that they are molded and still allow for use of the fold down. Might update to the Android head unit this summer, we'll see. The MI Plus in the glovebox will connect to my phone but I have yet to be able to make an actual call and hear/speak. I have an FM Transmitter plugged into the 2nd row power port for streaming music, and I just have to use the speakerphone for the rest. Mounting a cell phone in this thing is a mystery. I have a vent mounted magnet mount at the moment, but it isn't the most secure. Stopgap at best. Not about to stick anything to most of this dash.

Otherwise, it's been doing great so far, and considering the mileage, I'm quite pleased that there aren't more issues. At this point, every single function of the car does work, though the two seat issues are a little iffy, but they do still work. 110k miles, and everything still works (if you count the thermostat as technically still working). No complaints from me yet.

kombifan 03-16-2019 08:41 PM

The maxpider mats are the best for the 3rd row.
They also have a catgo mat too

The mb cargo mat is harder to find.

For the command. I would forget about an android unit. Just use your phone and waze and a good vent mount.
For Bluetooth audio coolstream carpro makes an iPod adapter that streams audio music to the command system as if uiur iphone or phone was an iPod. It 's great!

CharlzO 03-16-2019 10:13 PM

Great advice. I forgot to mention, I have WeatherTech floormats for all three rows currently. I'm just hoping to find something with full coverage for the cargo area and the 3rd row folded down - I do anticipate needing to move things around that I would prefer didn't get the seats all dirty! I might just get one of those full one-piece ones for the time being, and just take it in and out when I have the seats stowed to haul things.

Definitely will look into the CarPro though. I would love to be able to stream directly to the unit, instead of the transmitter. I will say that this picks it up a lot clearer than the 12v in the Jag did - always seemed to have just enough background noise in the signal to be noticed. So far in this one, crystal clear. I'm really not totally sold on the Command swap-out. I do think it looks just a tad dated any more - it LOOKS like it should be a touch but isn't, and so on. But it does work fine, and I really don't use it for anything other than turning on the radio, to my one FM station for my transmitter, and volume. Perhaps I'll just focus on upgrading the sound quality of the speakers and such first.

kombifan 03-16-2019 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlzO (Post 7707329)
Great advice. I forgot to mention, I have WeatherTech floormats for all three rows currently. I'm just hoping to find something with full coverage for the cargo area and the 3rd row folded down - I do anticipate needing to move things around that I would prefer didn't get the seats all dirty! I might just get one of those full one-piece ones for the time being, and just take it in and out when I have the seats stowed to haul things.

Definitely will look into the CarPro though. I would love to be able to stream directly to the unit, instead of the transmitter. I will say that this picks it up a lot clearer than the 12v in the Jag did - always seemed to have just enough background noise in the signal to be noticed. So far in this one, crystal clear. I'm really not totally sold on the Command swap-out. I do think it looks just a tad dated any more - it LOOKS like it should be a touch but isn't, and so on. But it does work fine, and I really don't use it for anything other than turning on the radio, to my one FM station for my transmitter, and volume. Perhaps I'll just focus on upgrading the sound quality of the speakers and such first.

Mb sells a mat that attaches to the rear of the 3rd seat with velcro so that it covers it when folded down.

I prefer the weather tech full cargo mat instead of this option but I can't get it because I use the 3rd seat to often.

Don't you have the haan kardon? What's wrong with it?

CharlzO 03-18-2019 07:51 AM

You are correct on the HK, and it isn't that it's bad, really. It doesn't sound bad, but wouldn't mind a little more control over things such as a full EQ (or even presets - though possibly there are some that I just haven't stumbled upon yet?). It's certainly way down on the to-do list. Well, there really isn't much of one anyway. That MB set is a unicorn I think, hard to find that set! But I'm going to keep my eye out, but in the meantime, still getting to know the vehicle and things. The reversing passenger mirror trick, and so on. And to think, all these goodies from a decade ago, even. What have I been missing out on!

Iceytys 03-18-2019 07:53 AM

Great looking rig and nice write up. I bought my 550 mainly as a boat hauler and 2nd car........and with 175k on the odometer it still looks brand new and runs like a champ. I think other than routine maint and TLC I'll have many years of fun with this thing.

Matter of fact it's been so worry free, I've spent my money on upgrades like wheel spacers, full LED lights, OEM Rubber floor mats, and the upgraded Android head unit. The Android radio is so worth the money....it gives you a big wide touchscreen that's almost limitless like a phone. There are some minor trade offs, but so blows away the command center. You'll have to decide.

A pick of my 2011 175k gem!!!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...efb6a103ae.jpg

CharlzO 03-18-2019 09:13 AM

Looks great! Can't say that I haven't contemplated the LED running boards, just haven't researched that much. Might need to look back into that! I'm a sucker for gadgets and shiny things :)

WaveyKat 03-19-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Iceytys (Post 7708232)
Great looking rig and nice write up. I bought my 550 mainly as a boat hauler and 2nd car........and with 175k on the odometer it still looks brand new and runs like a champ. I think other than routine maint and TLC I'll have many years of fun with this thing.

Matter of fact it's been so worry free, I've spent my money on upgrades like wheel spacers, full LED lights, OEM Rubber floor mats, and the upgraded Android head unit. The Android radio is so worth the money....it gives you a big wide touchscreen that's almost limitless like a phone. There are some minor trade offs, but so blows away the command center. You'll have to decide.

A pick of my 2011 175k gem!!!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...efb6a103ae.jpg

Looking good!!! can you PLEASE do a write up on the LED Running Board NEED That ASAP :-)

CharlzO 04-07-2019 11:13 AM

Finally got around to replacing the thermostat today. Did it without losing a finger and everything! Hopefully that'll get me back into normal operating temp and get keep that pesky P0128 away for good. I feel near-accomplished.