Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GL Class (X164)
The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position >

The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position

Notices
GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position

 
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position

Our Mercedes mechanic while replacing air matic block valve assembly noticed that airmatic compressor filter was installed in reverse direction resulting dusty air not being able to filtered out. As a result internal component may have damaged. Still give malfunction codes. He thinks the air filter was installed wrong in the factory by Mercedes.
I brought the car to Mercedes dealership for further investigation explaining them what I was told by other Mercedes mechanic. Car is still in the shop.
What are my chance to have Mercedes bear the cost of repair when the part was installed wrong by them?

How do I contact Mercedes to file complaints?
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Honestly? Very little.
Are you the original owner? Any x164 is far out of the original warranty.

Mb customer care. +1-800-367-6372
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
It is 2013 GL450. 72,000 miles. I am not original owner.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Tha's hard to tell. Have you had all services done at the mb dealership?
Obviously not so its hard to predict. They might give you a credit towards a new car or nothing.

I'm not the original owner, I bought it 2 years old but I have had over 15k in repairs done at the dealership which makes a difference. When I've complained they've taken care of me.

I wouldn't expect much.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:12 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
$15,000 on repair? Will never buy a Mercedes again.
Yes I and previous seller had annual maintenance done at the same dealership. They have record of all maintenance.
Only time I went outside Mercedes repairshop was to replace two rear air springs.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:56 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by nativecrafts View Post
$15,000 on repair? Will never buy a Mercedes again.
Yes I and previous seller had annual maintenance done at the same dealership. They have record of all maintenance.
Only time I went outside Mercedes repairshop was to replace two rear air springs.
Not out of my own pocket though. My extended warranty has paid for it all.
A 1.5 inch binder thick.

If so you'll have better luck. Be sure to stay ontop of the executive advisor who will call you.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I see you posted on 12-19-18 about the rough riding suspension.

Did you just get the compressor and valve block replaced this week?
If so you probably damaged by waiting so long to fix the issue and burned out the compressor. These pumps work overtime and crack and croak when things leak.

What kind of errors are you getting?
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
$15,000 repair under warranty (implying that the car was fairly new) raises a ominous signal to the quality of car workmanship.

i had 2000 Toyota Sienna and sold it 18 years later with never a repair cost like that. Donít think it cost me more than $1000 on repair in the entire 18 years.

I have 2005 Sequoia. Never had to repair for anything other than regular maintenance like tires and filters.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by nativecrafts View Post
$15,000 repair under warranty (implying that the car was fairly new) raises a ominous signal to the quality of car workmanship.

i had 2000 Toyota Sienna and sold it 18 years later with never a repair cost like that. Donít think it cost me more than $1000 on repair in the entire 18 years.

I have 2005 Sequoia. Never had to repair for anything other than regular maintenance like tires and filters.
Hmm?
Repairs. Total. Since 2012 till present day.

They're expensive vehicles, and have equipment not seen on cars in the price class as the sequoia or sienna. So I wouldn't consider it apples to apples.

Maybe if you compared a higher end lexus product it would be the same.
A mb is built to higher tolerances and is extremely sensitive to deferred maintenance.
Some things are ridiculous but it is part of the ownership.

But stories like mine of owners who have extended warranties that pay out these amounts are not uncommon. It is why these vehicles depreciate so heavily. And it's not just mb, it's bmw, audi, infiniti, jaguar landrover etc. The purchase price I assume, was a far cry from the new value of 80k$

Last edited by kombifan; 03-22-2019 at 01:19 AM.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
I see you posted on 12-19-18 about the rough riding suspension.

Did you just get the compressor and valve block replaced this week?
If so you probably damaged by waiting so long to fix the issue and burned out the compressor. These pumps work overtime and crack and croak when things leak.

What kind of errors are you getting?
Thanks for noticing my earlier comments. Yes trouble started since then. I took the car right away to mechanic and he replaced rear air springs. Rear airbags were low according to diagnostics testing.

Month or two later, similar thing happed again.
Another diagnostics testing. Found out valve bock assembly needed to be replaced. He replaced it and noticed air filter installed in reverse direction. He replaced air filter. Still got malfunctions codes.

Since air filter was installed wrong by factory I decided to bring it to dealership !!!

Last edited by nativecrafts; 03-22-2019 at 01:21 AM.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by nativecrafts View Post
Thanks for noticing my earlier comments. Yes trouble started since then. I took the car right away to mechanic and he replaced rear air springs. Rear airbags were low acciding to diagnostics testing.

Month or two later, similar thing happed again.
Another diagnostics testing. Found out valve bock assembly needed to be replaced. He replaced it and noticed air filter installed in reverse direction. He replaced air filter. Still got malfunctions codes.

Since air filter was installed wrong by factory I decided to bring it to dealership !!!
Did diagnosistics actually say the valve block was faulty or did your indy just assume?

Sometimes the compressor is just cracked and worn out. You didn't mention that. Did you replace that to?. When replacing the compressor replace the relay too. They tend to fail and cause the compressor to stick on.

Look into sourcing parts from fcp euro for a lifetime warranty. Really they're amazing. Arnott also has a lifetime warranty on all their air suspension parts.
I imagine your front struts will need replacing in the not so distant future.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:32 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
Did diagnosistics actually say the valve block was faulty or did your indy just assume?

Sometimes the compressor is just cracked and worn out. You didn't mention that. Did you replace that to?. When replacing the compressor replace the relay too. They tend to fail and cause the compressor to stick on.

Look into sourcing parts from fcp euro for a lifetime warranty. Really they're amazing. Arnott also has a lifetime warranty on all their air suspension parts.
I imagine your front struts will need replacing in the not so distant future.
thanks again.
yes diagnostics say faulty block valve. Replaced block valve and air filter . Still got malfunction code ..minimum pressure not attained. Technician thought compressor need to be replaced but could not guarantee that there wonít be another malfunction cod after getting new compressor.
i bought it to dealership.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by nativecrafts View Post
thanks again.
yes diagnostics say faulty block valve. Replaced block valve and air filter . Still got malfunction code ..minimum pressure not attained. Technician thought compressor need to be replaced but could not guarantee that there wonít be another malfunction cod after getting new compressor.
i bought it to dealership.
Yeah. You need a compressor too. You might have luck with them on paying half or some.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:40 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
Yeah. You need a compressor too. You might have luck with them on paying half or some.
Thank you! You have been persistent helper to me! Are you in Europe? This is midnight in US and you are still responding. Thanks
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:43 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
No. Just can't sleep.

Cheapest part in case mb sticks you with the bill. If they do ask them to cover labor. https://www.carid.com/arnott/air-sus...pn-p-3258.html

Arnott has lifetime warranty on parts.
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
No. Just can't sleep.

Cheapest part in case mb sticks you with the bill. If they do ask them to cover labor. https://www.carid.com/arnott/air-sus...pn-p-3258.html

Arnott has lifetime warranty on parts.
Thanks . I lost my sleep too because of this car!
let us see what this dealership tells me tomorrow!
i just hope it is no more than compressor !
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:56 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by nativecrafts View Post
Thanks . I lost my sleep too because of this car!
let us see what this dealership tells me tomorrow!
i just hope it is no more than compressor !
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I think the compressor is the last thing giving you an error. But keep in mind the fronts will come into play soon
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I think the compressor is the last thing giving you an error. But keep in mind the fronts will come into play soon
As promised I am back again. I got my car back. Dealer replaced compressor as expected but also replaced block valve assembly which was already replaced a week ago by previous mechanic. When I enquirered about it, they said the valve assembly that was installed had oil in it and all sensors and circuitry were shorted out due to oil contamination. Does that sound plausible? Of course the previous

mechanic say it was brand new and nothing wrong with it. You appear to know a lot about Mercedes
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
We're you charged?

Did you receive the part back? Does it look like oil was in there?
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
We're you charged?

Did you receive the part back? Does it look like oil was in there?
I was charged of course! More than I paid to previous mechanic. Yes I got the block back. It does look oily in all ports. The picture I attached is the same block I got back. Dealer blames previous mechanic for oil contamination. I asked the previous mechanic if he got the block oiled from vendor. He denies. Who is right? Someone is lying!
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Is there anyway to test this block valve to see if it works without installing in a car? If it works. I like to sell it.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
That gets messy.

Is your "mercedes" mechanic a indy who only works on mercedes?

Its going to be a lot of finrger pointing and considering The dealer charged you instead of covering the cost; your first mechanic is just going to deny it.

You can bring it to him and see what he says. You can alwsys ask him to refund the cost of the part you had to replace twice.

Your struts are also original? You have no issues with those?
kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan View Post
That gets messy.

Is your "mercedes" mechanic a indy who only works on mercedes?

Its going to be a lot of finrger pointing and considering The dealer charged you instead of covering the cost; your first mechanic is just going to deny it.

You can bring it to him and see what he says. You can alwsys ask him to refund the cost of the part you had to replace twice.

Your struts are also original? You have no issues with those?
Struts are Mercedes brand according to mechanic. No problem there yet.
Mechanic already refused to take responsibility.
I tried to be polite and asked him to return the block to vendor as it was not functioning. He insists it was fine.
nativecrafts is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,005
Liked 89 Times in 85 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
That's the closest I could find

kombifan is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GL450
The mechanic I worked with works on foreign cars only including Audi, BMW, Mercedes and yes even Toyota
nativecrafts is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: