GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Interchangeability of amplifiers among different MB models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Talking Interchangeability of amplifiers among different MB models

So my Amplifier blew out on my 2007 GL450 (x164). Water accumulation in the foot-wells toasted the circuit board. Symptoms? No sound from any source.

I fixed the water problem (clogged A/C drains), but it was too late for the Amp. R.I.P.

Looking through the interwebs I could not find a replacement Amp for the x164/w164 at a decent price; but plenty of cheaper options for the E, CLS, GLK, etc. While browsing through the photos of the various Amps it dawned on me: the connectors on most of the Amps looked identical to the connectors on the x164...

..so I ordered one from a 2015 GLK.... fingers crossed.

I received the GLK Amp today, pulled the Amp from the GL (removed the driver's seat, pulled up the carpet, and unscrewed the plastic panel to access the Amp -- seemed easier than cutting the carpet and fanagling with the awkwardness to access the amp while the drivers seat was still in place), and to my delight, the connectors matched! Yes, that's right, the connectors matched without any alteration what so ever.

I plugged the replacement Amp in. Perfect fit. Started the car up, turned on the radio and.. dammit! Still no sound.

So now my questions (and I probably should have asked these before making the purchase):
  1. Do the Amps have to be coded to the vehicle? Or is there a reset procedure? If so, how?
  2. If 'no' to #1, then I may be able to get the GLK amp to work on the GL, but I'll need the pin-out for both Amps. If anyone has the pin-outs, please post them.

Of course, I am open to any alternative suggestions (and ridicule, so bring it!).

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 05-03-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
1. I’m not sure if they’re compatible.

2. You checked the fuses right?