Need clarification

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Need clarification

2010 GL550 / 124k miles / new Arnott struts and bags in 2018

I currently have the airmatic malfunction light on the dash (arrow pointing up at with a picture of a GL).

I had the dealership look into it and they advised its Suspension Control- Dampening Control Actuator Module- Left front strut.

What EXACTLY are they stating here. Are they suggesting I replace my left front strut? Or is it something else?

All suggestions welcomed. Thank you in advance.

-Chris from St Louis

Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 524 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Your GL550 probably has ADS (Advanced Damping System)
That valve is part of that system, not your air bag spring system.
Arnott sells complete ADS struts for waaaay less than what the dealer is trying to take you for.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 PM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Max,

I appreciate your response.

Yes my GL has ADS. As I said I replaced the front struts with new Arnott struts with ADS in 2018.

I just wanted to clarify it is indeed the whole strut (w/ADS) that the dealership is referring too before I have them rip the old one and put a new Arnott strut w ADS in. What through me off was the dealerships wording, Active Control Actuator, instead of Active Damping System.

Arnotts lifetime warranty is a life saver at this point.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 524 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Are Arnott giving you new struts for free, and the dealershp replacing them at labor cost plus fee?

Honestly, the product description they put in front of you reads so much like any alibaba bs product written in poor engrish - I have no idea either what they're telling you.But I think it's the cylinder assy that sits on the shock itself; unrelated to the airbags. Now, I mention airbags because Airmatic and ADS are two separate but symbiotic systems - they work together, but the only times I've seen any suspension error messages (Arrow pointing up, "Malfunction") have been due to car being too low (leak in airbags) and the compressor being too weak to raise it (worn out from trying to raise a car on leaky airbags for too long).

Did this dealer read out the airmatic error codes? Did they perform a leak test of the compressor and associated circuits? If they didn't they should.

If they did and everything else checks out I'd just invoke the arnott warranty and DIY the whole strut. Alternative, have a more reasonable labor cost indy (unless you're happy with this dealership's labor rates) replace the malfunctioning strut. There's no programming needed, but a ratchet strap will come in very handy on the removal and install to compress the shock in order to pull it out. Same for install.

Last edited by Max Blast; 07-21-2020 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 AM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Max,

Whats odd to me is the Malfunction light is intermittent. When the light does come on, the GL stays in sport mode. When I want to raise the GL fully, all corners rise up completely and holds air, yes even overnight when the GL is shut off.

I've never had the "compressor cooling down" message on the dash like others have.

My plan is to activate the Arnott warranty to get a new strut and my local Mercedes dealership gave me a quote of $312 labor. I actually somewhat trust this dealership, somewhat haha. I have an outstanding relationship with my SA.

Unsure of exact test(s) that were conducted that came to a whole strut needing to be replaced but I will request the tests you advised. I replaced the relay with genuine mercedes and all fuses checkout fine.