GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

CPO CERTIFICATION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
CPO CERTIFICATION

Hi all,

i just purchased a CPO 2014 GL450 in va beach. It had 13800 miles at time of purchase two weeks ago.
i had a friend looking at it and he said the front tires looked worn so i got them measured and they were at 4/32. Dealer is saying they must have been at 5/32 for certification... 3 weeks ago basically saying they wouldn’t do anything.
Does anybody have any advice... I am having to take the car in for very minor fix next week ( heated and cooled cup holders and cigarette lighter didn’t work, as well as it needing a mbrace internet refresh.. that hasn’t worked in the 2 weeks I have had it).

thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Well, dealer should have mileage at certification. If you have only driven a small amount since, it should be easy to argue that it wasn’t at 5/32 at certification.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
I don't believe CPO certification is uniform or well-policed by the dealer supervisors. I have a '14 GL450 and a '14 ML350. The ML had a beat up right year tire valve. It also had crappy-looking running boards and the running board lights didn't work. I am convinced the CPO get ready guys sprayed something on the running boards so they would pass a quick visual inspection. If they did bother to check the tire pressure, they left the tire with the bad valve alone. Later I found out that the running board light fuse was lifted out of its socket so that the lights were disabled.
On the GL, same thing with the running boards. Not as bad as the ML, but looked sad. I went back for a shudder on start up, and the dealer's own service folks wrote that the motor mounts had "collapsed". That didn't happen overnight. Not seen during CPO process or seen but ignored. I don't know how you argue 5/32 vs 4/32, but if you don't try the answer is always no.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 AM

GL450
Just found the brochure from the dealer on their certification for CpO, as well as their brand “certification” for non Mercedes brand cars. They have this to us while looking at cars before purchase . It’s clearly states brakes and tires must have greater than 50 percent west remaining on both CPO AND their own.
My stock tires had 11/32 tread originally... does that mean 11/32 of usable tread or 9/32 as the last 2 are illegal?
Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
You likely aren't going to get too far on this. If the dealer would have spent $800 to put new front tires on it, the price of the truck would have been at least that much more.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 PM

GL450

Here it is... regardless of official Mercedes policy .. the only document the dealer gave me says 50 percent remaining... 4/32 of 11 is nowhere close
Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
I would call the dealership manager again, email them with the concern. And let them know if they aint willing ot work with you then you going to MBUSA. Make sure you copy all the big folks on the email and copy paste the same CPO policy. And after that also they don't budge give them a dent by calling the MBUSA that sure will send some chills down their spine.

Good luck don't leave them until you try all the options.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2017, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Back to the OP's post - the issue front tires - add this issue to the service ticket when you check in for service - inform the Service Advisor on checkin that if the front tires are not replaced - as you feel they should have been before you purchased this rig under Mercedes CPO policy - if you DON'T get front tire replacement under the service ticket - THEN you will call Mercedes Customer Care to report the issue AND tell the Service Advisor you will give them a ZERO on the followup survey for yoru service appt,

Give the dealer the chance to make this right - frankly buddy - driving around for 3-4 weeks on those tires definitely does not help this case.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-01-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by Nickbvt82
Hi all,

i just purchased a CPO 2014 GL450 in va beach. It had 13800 miles at time of purchase two weeks ago.
i had a friend looking at it and he said the front tires looked worn so i got them measured and they were at 4/32. Dealer is saying they must have been at 5/32 for certification... 3 weeks ago basically saying they wouldn’t do anything.
Does anybody have any advice... I am having to take the car in for very minor fix next week ( heated and cooled cup holders and cigarette lighter didn’t work, as well as it needing a mbrace internet refresh.. that hasn’t worked in the 2 weeks I have had it).

thanks in advance.
Bottom line here is The Car Business is a Shi**y business. Not all dealers are Shi**y dealers but enough of them are to make me want to squeeze every nickel out of them I can get! Had my GL 350 serviced at dealer in Hilton Head in November only to find out that they refilled the window washer with water. I made a trip to Ohio during the holidays and the odorless, colorless fluid immediately froze up. Sent them a email upon my return but have not received a reply. Will find another place to get my next service.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Recommendation... get in touch with the sales guy, ask him about it, prove what you are saying and point where you get the info... yes ! from the official MB page, print the information...

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo#w...nlimited_miles

then ask about your tires, if they said no, you said ok let me open a case with MB USA and call MB USA, CPO is what it is "Certified Pre-Own Mercedes" and you pay for that, the certification is always included on the price. But don't get in touch after you put 5K more miles on your vehicle ! Good luck
Old 01-06-2018, 11:52 AM

GL450
Update

so... to update, the brand manager apparently spoke to the tech and was told the tires were at 6/32 and was not inclined to do anything. I told him I stood next to the tech and service advisor and used my digital tread measured and showed 4.. .. the tech used my measurer and said “ look 3.5mm”.. that’s 6/32 of and inch!... wrong that’s 4.5.
I jus took the car to another MBdealer and they measured 3 and 4 32nds on the front .. as well as tread quarters and discount tire!.
The brand manager told me to bring it in yet again.. another 100 mile
round trip and he would use the laser tread depth gauge
.. if they were marginal.. he would replace them. We will see .
Old 01-10-2018, 04:43 PM

GL450
Update

Well, the dealer came through in the end.. took a couple 80 miles round trips to the dealer but they gave me the new tires when the GM had them
measured on the quick check laser machine. He got the paper and said, you are right... I’ll get you new tires.
they measured 4
to 5 32nds but they go above the min CPO standard to require 50 percent above Tread indicators.
thanks tysinger Mercedes of Hampton Virginia.