GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL 350 BlueTec 2 fuel injectors need to be replaced in two weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML350
More info on the software update

I have been assured by MB factory that this is a software problem. Just this week they called from South Carolina and said new software is at EPA awaiting approval for installation. Should be available in next two weeks. I have been adding cetane additive the dealer gave me, the last two months and have not had a warning light incident, but still have some injector noise occasionally. I have a German mechanic who works on my BMW who also is factory certified MB with connections at MB factory who has verified this is a emissions software problem. Don't know if new software will solve the problem, but hopeful. MB has been very forthright with us and I have confidence they will correct the problem or replace the car. We are at 9k at this point. Have friends with same blutec MB with no problem who also live in the mountains and go downhill in the mornings with engine slow to warm up. ???
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Another fuel injector replacement needed

I'll add to the conversation…
I just received the call that my 2014 GL350 with less than 3,000 miles needs a fuel injector replacement. It sounded a little suspicious that it would take "days" to repair my brand new car. Then I find this thread and have to admit I am a little worried! At least I have a little more information to discuss with my service technician.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - there has been "some" premature injector failures on "some" GL350's - from my side about 1 out of 10 owner's would be my rough gauge - yes - per MB internal tech bulletin the software update which they say in part will adress this is awaiting approval.. shortly all to the good !
Old 02-13-2014, 10:13 AM

2013 ML350
Sill awaiting update. factory called two weeks ago and said they are waiting on EPA approval, should be out by the end of February. Adding cetane to the tank of fuel has helped eliminate the problem as a patch, but not a solution.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by baxter18
I'll add to the conversation…
I just received the call that my 2014 GL350 with less than 3,000 miles needs a fuel injector replacement. It sounded a little suspicious that it would take "days" to repair my brand new car. Then I find this thread and have to admit I am a little worried! At least I have a little more information to discuss with my service technician.
Dealer called to discuss fuel injector problem. Acknowledged they have another GL350 in with the same problem. When I asked about the software update I was told it arrived last week. When I questioned about EPA approval I was told that is was approved. We'll see when I get my car back next week if the update fixes the problem.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 AM

GL
Originally Posted by Skiwithry
We live between Lake Tahoe and Reno, Nevada. Dealer gave us a case of red Line 85 additive to boost the Cetane. Says problem is software and Germany is working on it. He said if the engine doesn't warm up normally, We usually go down hill for about 7 miles when leaving our home, the fuel management computer can't handle the slow warm up and defaults into a protection mode.

After reading online last night I don't buy it, I think this engine isn't suited for the fuels we have in the USA and the problem is fuel. The first instance was late summer and it was in the 80's, last week it was in the 50's, today our high is under 30 degrees, so I don't know if temperature is a factor.

They said a software upgrade is in the works, but it sounds like some were told that bad in April. We bought the car new in September from our local dealer. We have about 6600 mile on it now.
Originally Posted by baxter18
Dealer called to discuss fuel injector problem. Acknowledged they have another GL350 in with the same problem. When I asked about the software update I was told it arrived last week. When I questioned about EPA approval I was told that is was approved. We'll see when I get my car back next week if the update fixes the problem.
I'm near North Lake Tahoe, too, and we've had two X164 Bluetec's over the years with no diesel-related issues (other than the absurd gouge price of the add-blue DEF) and took no precautions like additives. Our other diesel is a Ford and seems to "like" the additive, which I think in part is because the additive binds with water and other contaminants that make it through the water and particle fuel filters ... certainly a must for freezing temps in the Ford, but the Benz, despite often having successive nights un-driven in subzero temps, required nothing more than a second push of the start button to rouse it from its wintery slumber. : )
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GL350, 2005 BMW X5 4.8is, 2015 BMW 328d
diesel woes.

My 2010 GL350 BTC CPO with 29K was the coolest vehicle I had ever owned, with power and fuel economy, but now it is a nightmare. Within the first 4 months of ownership, it wouldn't start. Towing it back to the dealer, they found algae and water. Changed the filter, and ran fine for 9,000 mi, the CEL and fuel filter warning light came on briefly, but went out. 2 days later no start. Towed it to the dealer and service advisor claims "metal shards" was found throughout the system. Asks me: 1. if I mistakenly put AdBlu in the fuel, crystals can ruin the injectors, common rail, HPFP and secondary pump, 2. If I had been using Biodiesel, using biodiesel greater than 5% voids the warranty and ruins the fuel pump, 3. if I used any additives that put metal particles into the fuel system.

To all questions, I said NO. I did however admit to using SeaFoam to prevent water contamination. Advisor says his certified mechanic, along with MBUSA policy asserts that I replace the entire fuel system.

Advisor says because the fuel was contaminated, MBUSA will not cover the repairs, I have to pay for the entire bill. I called my insurance and the comprehensive coverage paid for it. Insurance adjuster said there were NO metal particles, but extensive algae buildup.

My advice to all potential diesel vehicle buyers be aware of this policy from MBUSA, that if your fuel system becomes contaminated, you have to replace the entire system, regardless of Factory Warranty or Extended Warranty, AT YOUR COST.

Last edited by drgeeforce; 02-21-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks for the update, I worry about diesel contamination because it seems to be consistent in that MB won't pay for it.

Where are you located? Geography can be an interesting observation. I've seen people on the west coast have this problem more than others.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM

2013 ML350
Still waiting for updated software

Had the ML 350 in for its first service this week and the dealer in Reno still says update is not available. I would like to hear from anyone who has received this update. Engine is running strong, seems like adding the cetane has made a big difference but engine from time to time still rattles pretty loud compare to others who own the same vehicle. No engine light since we have been using the additive.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM

2013 ML350
New software has arrived

Last week we had the new software installed on the ML 350 diesel. Huge difference in engine noise and smooth idling. Seems like the performance is improved as well, just runs better overall. It also improved the shifting pattern in the transmission. We have about 11,500 miles on the vehicle, I am optimistic this is the fix we needed. I was ready to invoke the Lemon Law, but now will wait a few months to see if this is a permanent fix.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Fuel Injector Failed - Code In CDI: 13BD00

Received the Check Engine Light with just 1502 miles on my new 2014 GL350BTC on April 29, 2014. I have had the vehicle for one month -- this is my first Mercedes and my first diesel vehicle. I live in Long Valley, NJ, which is about 500 ft above sea level, inland 50 miles from NYC. The CEL came on while on the freeway at 65 miles per hour. I got about 23 MPG from the first 3 tanks of Diesel.

NJ supposedly limits bio-diesel to no more that 5%. The first tank was provided by the dealer, and the 2nd and 3rd tanks were purchase from my local filling station, Delta Gas owned by Vinny Fuels Company. The Dealer's Service Manager claims that he's never heard of anyone having trouble with Diesel Fuel not meeting state standards for bio-diesel levels.

The Service Manager stated he's not seen this problem before. I showed him this forum thread, and he checked with MB Engineering, who told him that indeed there was a software update to address this problem. The software update is being treated as a routine update, and customers are not being alerted. However, any time an owner brings the car in for service, the computer in the service bay will detect the availability of new software and flash the update. I'm told the software update was released at the end on March 2014. The dealer had the fuel injector on hand, and made the repair before noon the following day.

In case it might be useful to someone, I am posting the notations from the repair invoice:

Client states - Check Engine Light
Faulty Fuel Injector for CYL 5
DC 07207737
Verify Check Engine Line on. Also found engine to run
rough and knock. Xentry and run short test. Found
Code in CDI: 13BD00: Maximum actuation duration
for zero quantity calibration for fuel injector of
cylinder 5 exceeded. Perform guided tests outlined by
Xentry and diag faulty fule inj of CYL 5. Replace Injector.
Update DCI Module to have current software
Clear codes perform overnight roadtest
Miles out 1592

I'll return here in a few months to let you know if the problem re-occurs or if I notice any performance degradation or improvement.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by kepstein; 05-05-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 AM

2013 ML350
Hope has turned to disapointment

After a few thousand miles since the software update we are experiencing more problems with the engine and transmission. The engine continues to run smoothly, but the injectors are making a lot of noise both at idle and upon acceleration. Just the other day we were stopped at a signal next to a Duramax truck and our engine was louder than the truck at idle and as we pulled away from the light. We are also experiencing a lot of hesitation when travelling around 35 mph and then trying to accelerate, like on freeway onramps. The transmission continues to have shifting problems, sometimes the downshift coming to a stop sounds like the transmission is going to fall out of the bottom of the car. The shifting often stumbles upshifting, and clunks downshifting at all speeds.
My plan is to return the vehicle to the dealer and tell him to keep it until the issues are fixed. I think an engine and transmission replacement is in order. We will do this in June when we return from our vacation home to our main residence. My first Mercedes experience is not good, may have to go back to BMW.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Disappointment to Dispair

Three days after my last post ("Fuel Injector Failed - Code In CDI: 13BD00"), the CEL came on again on the freeway at 65 MPH. I experienced the same symptoms that Skiwithry posted a few hours ago. I experienced reduced acceleration and significant hesitation. Automatic gear shifts were significantly delayed and rough, with lurching in shifting below 3rd gear. The 2014 GL350 is back in the shop today. There is a little over 1,700 miles on the vehicle (you read that right). I'll post again when I have more information from the service manager.

Update 5/9/14 at 12:50 PM US Eastern Time. The service manager called just now and told me that the Check Engine Codes point to a malfunctioning exhaust gas re-circulation valve - EGR valve for short. The EGR valve opens a passage to allow the engine’s exhaust gases to be reintroduced back into the engine, combined with incoming air/fuel mixture, to reduce emissions. He offered that the EGR valve was damaged or gummed up when the fuel injector failed, and that it took another 200 miles to fail completely. Sounds plausible, I guess. Of course, the dealer does not have the part and it's Friday, so the part won't arrive until Monday at the earliest. By the time this is corrected, the vehicle will have been in the shop for 1 of the 6 weeks I've owned it. I will post again after the repair is completed.

Update 5/13/14 at 10:35 PM US Eastern Time. I picked up the GL350 this afternoon. It seems to be running fine (been there before). The repair was done on Monday, and the shop roadtested the vehicle for nearly 90 miles before turning it back over to me. Here's the notation from the repair invoice in case it might be useful to someone:

CLIENT STATES – CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON – RUNNING ROUGH
FAULTY CRANKCASE VENTILATION HEATER ELEMENT SENSOR
DC14365737
DID NOT VERIFY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON OR RUNNING
ROUGH SITUATION. CONNECT XENTRY AND RUN SHORT TEST.
FOUND CODES 155F00 AND 13AE00
PEFORM EGR GUIDED TEST AS INSTRUCTED BY XENTRY, PASS
REMOVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION HEATER SENSOR AND BENCH TEST
SENSOR WHILE CHECKING RESISTANCE. FOUND SENSOR GO TO OPEN
CIRCUIT ONCE HEATED, ORDER AND REPLACE CRANKCASE VENTILATION
HEATER SENSOR, CLEAR INDUCED CODES, ROAD TEST, NOW ALL OK.

IN MILEAGE: 1,782
OUT MILEAGE: 1,873

I will post again in a few months -- unless the systems fail again. My confidence is shaken.

Keith

Keith

Last edited by kepstein; 05-13-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Update events.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
I am afraid that I too am going to have a less than stellar experience with my new GL 350 BT. I have completed my second week of ownership and at 1,023 miles I have a misfire at low rpms, no CEL though, and only intermittently.
It is especially noticeable at startup and I have taken a video of the tach needle bouncing around while the engine is misfiring. I have only put fuel in twice, each time from a different but major fuel supplier. I am going to give it a week or so before I bring it to the dealer hoping that the problem becomes more constant or reproducible. Actually I am hoping it goes away! I am disappointed to say the least.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
I just took delivery of my GL350 on Monday and so far it has been running smoothly. Todd - your post has made me nervous and hope I do not get to experience the issues that have been posted on this thread. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 AM

2014 GL350 Bluetec
Another 2014 GL350 in NJ with CEL

I'm having a similar problem. CEL on after about 4k miles. Dealer was unsure about issue so decided on software update on 4/28 but light came back on within days. Code was 160600 (EGR temp sensor) Just picked up car this morning after 2nd diagnose attempt where Dealer (Catena Union MB) now believes it is the EGR temperature sensor which needs to be ordered and fixed next week since part is backordered.

I don't have any confidence that they know 100% what is really the cause. At the first visit they were looking under the middle row of seats and had many theories including downstream sensors in the exhaust. I'm the type that avoids the dealer at all costs due to past experience but in case of warranty there is really no option to do so.

We had the 2011 GL350 BT previously and never had a CEL (same basic engine and driven in the same manner, same fuel sources, etc)

My wife does a lot of short (like 2 mile) trips which I questioned since the diesel particulate filter would have issues getting hot enough but this didn't concern the service advisor

Otherwise a beautiful and comfortable car with good efficiency

-Alan

Last edited by gibbemeyer; 05-23-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add completeness like fault code
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
I am not sure for how long but after a couple of Italian tune ups my stumbling and misfiring at light throttle seems to have abated. I am running this tankful completely empty and refueling at a different source just in case it was a fuel issue. As an aside, I got 28.3 mpg today at 70-80 mph on the highway from Allentown to ANNAPOLIS. I am getting 20-22 around town.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
Originally Posted by gibbemeyer
I'm having a similar problem. CEL on after about 4k miles. Dealer was unsure about issue so decided on software update on 4/28 but light came back on within days. Code was 160600 (EGR temp sensor) Just picked up car this morning after 2nd diagnose attempt where Dealer (Catena Union MB) now believes it is the EGR temperature sensor which needs to be ordered and fixed next week since part is backordered.

I don't have any confidence that they know 100% what is really the cause. At the first visit they were looking under the middle row of seats and had many theories including downstream sensors in the exhaust. I'm the type that avoids the dealer at all costs due to past experience but in case of warranty there is really no option to do so.

We had the 2011 GL350 BT previously and never had a CEL (same basic engine and driven in the same manner, same fuel sources, etc)

My wife does a lot of short (like 2 mile) trips which I questioned since the diesel particulate filter would have issues getting hot enough but this didn't concern the service advisor

Otherwise a beautiful and comfortable car with good efficiency

-Alan
Alan,

We had the CEL come on and diagnosed as a failed EGR temp sensor at about 6k miles. It was replaced and we haven't had any issues since (fingers crossed). We have a 2014 and took delivery in Nov. Maybe it was a bad batch of sensors?

Fab, do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Watching waiting & wondering

My '14 which was delivered Aug 31 of last year has about 4500 miles with no issues so far.

I guess I've gotten a good batch, or I'm on borrowed time...
Will keep y'all posted.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I want to thank those that have posted/reported to this thread - personally i have not encountered this problem from my side/my area - and from my customer's experience with their GL350's has been top notch - absolutely killer due to the peppy around town torque combined with the fuel economy/time savings from fewer trips to fill up.

"Software updates" - there are engine/transmission/climate-control updates on a ongoing basis that are released into the MB "cloud" which is my term.

(1) "most" are ongoing updates, meaning they have to be "called down", either by specific diagnosis of a specific customer complaint

(2) a few are "major" updates are "push alert" that are set in the MB system by VIN# so service advisers/techs are called upon to make the update the next time the vehicle is checked in for servoce

(3) "select few" updates are "campaigns" or mandatory updates by VIN# where owner's are alerted by mail or alerted by email thru Mercedes Owner's Online.

I would say "most dealers" on maintenance service do NOT plug in your MB on normal service - unless they have a specific complaint - UNLESS VIN check shows (2) or (3).

Downloading and installing updates takes time - depending on the system update it can be 45/90 minutes - some more - as the system downloads, installs, rechecks.

Just trying to be helpful/informative...
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
I am happy to report that the misfiring continues to be gone. I decided to run the GL until almost empty and put in fuel from a high volume real truck stop. Surprisingly the "range" indication quits after it gets down to 30 miles to go. I played it pretty close and put in 25.8 gallons of Citgo diesel in Middletwon DE and she hasn't skipped a beat since. I got about 25.4 mpg on the 102 mile trip back from the bay with some twisty roads and no highway driving. After scrubbing the boat for a whole day, the massage seats were a welcome experience. Radar hardwire install tomorrow with pics.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Update on Fuel Injector and EGR Valve Failures

Just a quick update. It's been two weeks since the software update and repairs posted earlier. My 2014 GL350BTC has been running very well. I got 28.3 MPG on a trip through NJ, Pennsylvania and Upstate NY. Acceleration is great and the ride is smooth and quiet -- exactly why I bought this vehicle. I'm getting about 24-25 MPG on my standard country road commute. Keeping my fingers crossed that the trouble is all behind me. I'll post again in a month or two.

Keith
Long Valley, NJ
Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S550, 2012 E350 coupe, 2011 E350 Bluetec
I suggest to go to the British website (mbclub CO UK) see below.
There is an extensive discussion about injector problems. It seems MB has replaced some of the Piezo injectors with Bosch solenoid injectors due to premature failures.
There are far more diesel cars on the road in Europe then in the US.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engin...recall-82.html

The retrofit to solenoid injectors seems to be extensive. It looks like the Delphi injectors cannot handle high pressures.
Has any one heard of this issue in the US.

JK
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 S550, 2012 E350 coupe, 2011 E350 Bluetec
Further to my comments above I copied a recent comment (23/11/2013) from the British site, it shows that there seems to be confusion out there.

[QUOTE=grober;1767242]What you reported appears to go against overwhelming evidence that MERCEDES has reverted back to solenoid injectors with fuel return pipes. There has been some confusion caused because the new SOLENOID injectors are also made by Dephi who made the old Piezo injectors. Best way to tell is to look at the wording on the injector ECU on top of the engine If it says
steuercode magnetventil then you have your answer. I would have to question the technical authority of the Mercedes staff member who told you that. Only way to check is to look under the engine cover and look at the ECU.
Other confusing factor is that that early "PIEZO" cars [ no longer in warranty ] don't get the full system upgrade 4 injectors/loom/return pipes/ECU ---in the event of injector failure they merely get an improved design of piezo injector to replace the faulty one.

Best advice I can offer when in doubt is to go and inspect the injectors /ecu on the car itself-- everything else is theoretical.

ps the new turbocharged 4 and V6 direct injection PETROL engines still use "Piezo injectors " albeit a different design at vastly lower pressure operating pressure due to the inherently lower compression ratio of petrol engines

Confused? who wouldn't be!

Graeme you are correct. I recently purchased a new c250 cdi for my daughter. Local dealer advised that the injectors are piezo. After taking delivery I opened the engine cover to check and got a surprise - it has Delphi solenoid injectors.

Thank you for your many useful posts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: GL 350 BlueTec 2 fuel injectors need to be replaced in two weeks