MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   Just picked up my GL450 but having a minor problem (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/495809-just-picked-up-my-gl450-but-having-minor-problem.html)

wheelsloose 04-16-2013 05:18 PM

Just picked up my GL450 but having a minor problem

Just picked up my GL450 with the following options:
-- Diamond White Metallic
-- Black Full Leather
-- Anthracite Poplar Wood Trim
-- P2 Premium Package
-- Parking Assist Pkg
-- Active Curve w/Adaptive Damping
-- Lighting Pkg
-- Lane Tracking Pkg
-- Appearance Pkg
-- 3 Zone Climate Package
-- Driver/Passenger Multi-Contour Seats w/Message
-- Heated/Ventilated Front Seats
-- Panorama Sunroof
-- Wood Steering Wheel
-- Trailer Hitch
-- Pre-Wiring for Rear Seat Entertainment

Have had a weird issue that happened a few times and wanted to see if anyone has experienced this.

I ordered the lane tracking package and not active assist and a few times the little orange triangle on the passenger has lit up when no one was next to me and when I put on my right turn indicator it was beep at me and the orange triangle would flash red. I only have 35 miles on it so far so haven't driven enough to see if there is a fluke and one time occurrence or not.

fabbrisd1 04-16-2013 06:04 PM

Orange triangle normally indicates you are driving under 20 mph - "technically" the system is offline so that you don't get jaded by red warning trianlges in traffic.

Clear/silver triangles mean you are traveling over 20 mph and "technically" the warning system is online.

blittle 04-16-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 5615824)
Orange triangle normally indicates you are driving under 20 mph - "technically" the system is offline so that you don't get jaded by red warning trianlges in traffic.

Clear/silver triangles mean you are traveling over 20 mph and "technically" the warning system is online.

Exactly!

JoeMa 04-16-2013 08:35 PM

From the operator's manual:

Blind Spot Assist is not active atspeeds below approximately 20 mph (30 km/h). Vehicles in the monitoring rangeare then not indicated. When Blind Spot Assist is activated, indicator lamps inthe exterior mirrors lights up yellow at speeds of up to 20 mph (30 km/h). Atspeeds above 20 mph (30 km/h) the indicator lamp goes out and Blind Spot Assistis operational.

If a vehicle is detected within themonitoring range of Blind Spot Assist at speeds above 20 mph (30km/h), warninglamp on the corresponding side lights up red. This warning is always emittedwhen a vehicle enters the blind spot monitoring range from behind or from theside. When you overtake a vehicle, the warning only occurs if the difference inspeed is less than 7 mph (12km/h).

The yellow indicator lamp goes out ifreverse gear is engaged. In this event, Blind Spot Assist is no longer active. Thebrightness of the indicator/warning lamps is adjusted automatically accordingto the ambient light.

sraza 04-16-2013 08:46 PM

if you find the red triangle flashing, then you'r obviously more than 20mph and something is in the way- only other thing, clean the sensors, that could cause a false alert too
I recently applied a second coat of protectant/wax and immediately afterwards my distance warning, said limited availability- rubbed sensors with clean cloth a few times and the extra wax came off from around the sensors- turns out it was too much and probably caused too much reflection and hence the alert.. make sure the slight gap around the sensor is clean too..

wheelsloose 04-16-2013 11:48 PM

Got it. Thanks for all the replies. That may very well have been the case. I did figure out tonight that it does not work in slow driving and will have to test it out some more and see if that is the case and if it always works over 20MPH. It probably does.

Love the GL so far. So smooth driving and way more refined than previous generation. My mom rode in it today and was shocked how smooth and quiet it was and she has be driving Lexus LS models for the past 15 years and is used to very quiet interior cabins.

blittle 04-17-2013 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsloose (Post 5616211)
Got it. Thanks for all the replies. That may very well have been the case. I did figure out tonight that it does not work in slow driving and will have to test it out some more and see if that is the case and if it always works over 20MPH. It probably does.

Love the GL so far. So smooth driving and way more refined than previous generation. My mom rode in it today and was shocked how smooth and quiet it was and she has be driving Lexus LS models for the past 15 years and is used to very quiet interior cabins.

Congrats! 2800 miles on mine so far and no issues!

jdmmbz 04-17-2013 08:08 AM

Sounds like you have a nice build post some interior pics once you get a chance.

wheelsloose 04-17-2013 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by jdmmbz (Post 5616417)
Sounds like you have a nice build post some interior pics once you get a chance.

Will when I get a chance. Actually taking it back to dealer tomorrow to fix the passenger side blind spot monitor. It is occasionally getting stuck on red triangle even when no one is there.:mad::mad:

Also getting some other kind of alert related to Distance Warning in dash that shows two cars with an exclamation mark and almost like it thinks I am going to rear-end a car in front of me? This is always on above 20 MPH if the Distance Warning is enabled (not even sure what this is because I don't have Distronic Cruise). If I disable Distance Warning it goes away.:mad:

Other than these stupid things I LOVE THIS VEHICLE. It drives like a dream and like a big S class!

sraza 04-17-2013 11:41 PM

red triangle stuck should be looked at..

the other one with 2 cars and an exclamation in middle is perfectly normal, thats the distance monitor and if a car is stopping suddenly or you get too close a red triangle will flash with a loud alert beep- thats a normal feature, helpful for distance monitoring and pre safe braking. Its has nothing to do with distronic...
enjoy your new ride safely...

wheelsloose 04-18-2013 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by sraza (Post 5617400)
red triangle stuck should be looked at..

the other one with 2 cars and an exclamation in middle is perfectly normal, thats the distance monitor and if a car is stopping suddenly or you get too close a red triangle will flash with a loud alert beep- thats a normal feature, helpful for distance monitoring and pre safe braking. Its has nothing to do with distronic...
enjoy your new ride safely...

Are the two cars with exclamation mark always visible in your dash next to your outside temperature when driving over 20mph?

blittle 04-18-2013 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsloose (Post 5617505)
Are the two cars with exclamation mark always visible in your dash next to your outside temperature when driving over 20mph?

Yes....as long as "collision prevent assist " is active

sraza 04-18-2013 10:45 AM

exactly- turns off if you turn off radar

wheelsloose 04-19-2013 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by blittle (Post 5617598)
Yes....as long as "collision prevent assist " is active

Is collision prevent assist standard on all GLs or is it park of a package? I only got the $800 lane tracking pkg and not full disctronic or radar cruise

wheelsloose 04-19-2013 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by sraza (Post 5617726)
exactly- turns off if you turn off radar

I don't have radar?

JimBarnhart 04-19-2013 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsloose (Post 5618646)
I don't have radar?

It's standard on 2013 GL's

COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST
At speeds above 20 mph, this new system's radar-based technology alerts the driver if they´re approaching a vehicle ahead at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely. It can also detect stationary objects when driving at speeds up to 40 mph. Its Adaptive Brake Assist automatically provides the ideal level of braking as soon as the driver steps on the brake pedal. And if deemed necessary, the system can also activate PRE-SAFEŽ. Along with helping to prevent or reduce the severity of a collision, the system´s engagement of the brake lamps can help to alert the drivers behind your GL-Class earlier as well.