GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Have rear seat entertainment pre-wire - now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
Have rear seat entertainment pre-wire - now what?

What are my options? I know about the iPad holders that charge for $400/each but what about if I change my mind and now I want a factory integrated DVDs? My dealers told me I could only use the ones they have which they charge $3200 installed for 2 headrest displays that tie into factory in-dash DVD changer.
Is this true or are there aftermarket options available if pre-wire is there?

Anything that can tie into the command center or will all systems have to be controlled either from individual display units and/or from remotes?

I really wanted to add the factory rear-seat entertainment but when I went back to add my car build could not be changed and was too close to production.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
there may be several aftermarket options, but as far as MB oem aftermarket, look on MBUSA- the 2 options, the portable one and one which is identical but not portable and are listed for like 1950 ( it will be + labor, so add 3-4 hours, around 300-400$ more)
My brother had RSE (portable one) installed in his GL, which didnt even have pre wiring, i remember him saying that he cannot play it in the main DVD (only issue i think portable has is that they both work independently only) since you have pre wiring, you can get any of the offered MB RSE which should definitely work through central command and 2 different remotes and should play through car audio system and independent headphones..

only thing i noticed in the added on portable system, the Screens were installed lower on the front seat back and sometimes its tricky when folding second row if you dont have easy entry as if the headrest is up, it will hit the screens, see if they install it a little higher on the seat back (like when it comes preinstalled)

good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I would go with Ipad mounts, the headrest display is super bulky and the resolution does not justify the price tag at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
DVD is soooo dated, some of my customers use it as a punishment.. when they take their children's iPads away.. I would just do the $250 mounts, added power from cig lighter..